almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer

I found this interesting...

....as hell due to my dilated cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. I didn't see it posted in the forum, so I thought I would add it to the collection.....now if only I could get my cardiologist to fire up his prescription pad...

AG

IGF-1 Overexpression Rescues the Failing Heart
    http://circres.ahajournals.org/cgi/c...esaha;90/6/631

..Here's the summary of the article...

Regardless of the ultimate mechanisms involved, Welch et al1 add to the growing body of data supporting the benefit of IGF-1 as a prophylactic and interventional treatment for CHF. Issues regarding modes of delivery and local versus systemic effects of the hormone must be resolved, but an agent that promotes cardiomyocyte survival while improving contractile performance would be a welcomed addition to our standard therapy for CHF patients.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    Good Post.

The Study Seemed To Have Some Holes In It Though,and Im Not Sure If I Read It Right But I Believed It Stated That The Heart Itself Had Hypertrophyed(not Good)

..yes, cardiomyopathy is an enlarged heart..I've had this condition and the congestive heart failure associated with it for over a year...Many times, the dilated cardiac muscle is caused by a virus.. (That's what happened to me)..
    ..It looks as if IGF-1 has the potential to help the cardiac muscle regain some of it's contractive properties that are lost when the cardiac muscle is enlarged.....
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

sadukar is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    ..yes, cardiomyopathy is an enlarged heart..I've had this condition and the congestive heart failure associated with it for over a year...Many times, the dilated cardiac muscle is caused by a virus.. (That's what happened to me)..
    ..It looks as if IGF-1 has the potential to help the cardiac muscle regain some of it's contractive properties that are lost when the cardiac muscle is enlarged.....
    a little off topic, but do ya play much Diablo???

I found this article to be very interesting. I sent a copy to my professor. I'll see what he has to say about it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sadukar
    a little off topic, but do ya play much Diablo???
    ..I plead ignorance...Don't know what Diablo is....

sadukar is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    ..I plead ignorance...Don't know what Diablo is....
    Well, the avatar you have is associated with it. Or maybe that was just a website... Diablo is a great video game if your into fantasy type stuff. Well, diablo 2 and the expansion pack are.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2/

Check it out.

C18H22O2 is offline New Member
    Oh man. What virus causes CHF?

..Well, the virus that got me first caused myocarditis. Next the heart muscle was damaged and became grossly enlarged (Cardiomyopathy). Congestive heart failure is the result of cardiomyopathy..

AG

http://virology-online.com/viruses/Enteroviruses5.htm

H. Myopericarditis - group B coxsackieviruses are a major cause of myopericarditis. The clinical manifestations of enterovirus- induced myocarditis are variable. In neonates, the disease is usually acute and very severe with other general pathology. In adolescents and adults, it is commonly benign and may follow a subacute and chronic course and result in complications and permanent sequelae. There is now some evidence that the virus may persist after the initial infection and may lead to cardiomyopathy. Other enteroviruses, including coxsackie A and polioviruses, have been associated with myocarditis. However, non-picornaviruses can cause this disease eg. ortho and paramyxoviruses, togaviruses, herpesviruses, and adenoviruses.

The diagnosis of enterovirus-associated myocarditis is usually made on laboratory tests. Virus isolation or serological tests can be used. It is rare to isolate or detect virus antigen in heart tissue obtained as biopsy samples. In neonates, the onset is usually acute severe and often fatal. Left ventricular dilatation may be present with a pale myocardium. The endocardium and valves are normal. Viral myocarditis in adolescents and adults usually has a delayed onset and is rarely fatal. After coxsackie B viral infection, initial symptoms of URTI or GI illness is followed in 7 - 10 days with a clinical picture of pericarditis and/or progressive heart failure. Some patients do not have cardiac symptoms but have ECG changes accompanying fever, headache, myalgia. The most common symptom in acute myocarditis is chest pain, although myocarditis without cardiac involvement can be painless. Tachycardia, arrhythmias, murmurs, rubs and cardiomegaly and heart failure may be present and rarely death may result. Occasionally, systemic manifestation of disease may be noted in adults, including meningitis, hepatitis, lymphadenopathy, and splenomegaly.

Thread Information