djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member

humalog ?, need definitive answer

i've seen various responses to this, so can someone give me reason and why? i got the humalog 3ml pen 100iu/ml, and on their website and other posts it says do NOT store your pen after you've begun using it, but i've seen others posting always keep it refridgerated blah blah, which is what i would think? and then ones that havn't been used always keep refridgerated...whats the deal? keep it refridgerated after using? dont like their website says? thanks all!

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Keep it in the fridge mate at a controlled temp.

-Gear

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    always refridgerated then, eh? even though the insert and the lilly website says after using do 'NOT' refridgerate? ok then, anyone else? thanks for the reply

I have always refridgirated mine, and most people that I know keep their slin in the fridge as well. Unless they have come up with a totally new insulin that isn't suppoed to be refridgirated, and if that's the case then your question is beyond my knowledge.

-Gear

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    I have always refridgirated mine, and most people that I know keep their slin in the fridge as well. Unless they have come up with a totally new insulin that isn't suppoed to be refridgirated, and if that's the case then your question is beyond my knowledge.

-Gear
    It does not need to be refrigerated. I'm a diabetic for 20 years and i don't keep mine refrigerated or on ice packs when I'm in the car.

mamias20918756 is offline Associate Member
    my grandma is diabetic as long as i remember and she's also using humalog lately.
    You don't need to keep ur pen in the frige as long as u began using iti.
    Sorry for hijiking to ur thread bro, but i am doing some research on insulin and i was wondering if u can end up diabetic using it too much.

BIG_T_MC06 is offline Associate Member
    No you cannot, IMO this is a myth that has been banded about for such a long time. I have yet to see 1 scientific study to show that insulin use can turn you diabetic.

T

I do believe that insulin can survive out of the fridge, but I believe the reason why most and including myself keep their insulin in the fridge is because the temp in the fridge does not change therefore it would be safer in the fridge than having it kept in a room because a room temp can change which could effect the insulin. But even then, if the temp changed, I think it would have to change majorly to effect the insulin so I suppose it's ok if kept at room temp. But where I am the summers get very hot and I just feel more confident keeping my insulin in the fridge around times as such, especially if you don't have air-con. And if my insulin is in the fridge during summer I just leave it in the fridge throughout the year as well.

-Gear

I do believe that insulin can survive out of the fridge, but I believe the reason why most and including myself keep their insulin in the fridge is because the temp in the fridge does not change therefore it would be safer in the fridge than having it kept in a room because a room temp can change which could effect the insulin. But even then, if the temp changed, I think it would have to change majorly to effect the insulin so I suppose it's ok if kept at room temp. But where I am the summers get very hot and I just feel more confident keeping my insulin in the fridge around times as such, especially if you don't have air-con. And if my insulin is in the fridge during summer I just leave it in the fridge throughout the year as well.

-Gear

Your saying you suppose its ok at room temp. It is supposed to be at room temp. Keeping it in the fridge is wrong. I dont know where you get the info that is the right way. Its wrong. Open insulin is NOT supposed to be refrigerated.

As far as feeling more confident in the summer. You shouldn't. That's like saying you put your test and eq in the fridge. It doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    Your saying you suppose its ok at room temp. It is supposed to be at room temp. Keeping it in the fridge is wrong.
    The Humalog insulin that I have comes in a Box of 5 1000IU vials. The box has a sticker on it stating "refridgirate, do not freeze". And here is you saying keeping it in the fridge is wrong. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, get your facts straight before you go running your mouth of like that. The instructions of storing insulin ***ends on the manufacturer. Don't say "keeping it in the fridge is wrong"

I dont know where you get the info that is the right way. Its wrong. Open insulin is NOT supposed to be refrigerated.
    Funny you say that because my doc seems to think its the other way around.

As far as feeling more confident in the summer. You shouldn't. That's like saying you put your test and eq in the fridge. It doesn't matter
    Different temps can effect the effectiveness of the insulin. That is why they advise to store insulin at a certain temp. Otherwise, they would say keep it where you want. Also, when you buy insulin online, why do you think it comes in a ice pack? It comes in a ice pack so it doesn't get too hot during delivery which could effect the insulin.

I am not going to argue with you, you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe. But the point I was trying to get across is insulin is fine in and out of the fridge, but I tend to keep mine in the fridge and everyone else I know also keeps their slin in the fridge and has never had an issue.

-Gear

Lion King is offline Junior Member
    I work Fire/Rescue. I have'nt met a single diabetic patient yet that does'nt store their insulin in the fridge. And I've run on hundreds.

The Humalog insulin that I have comes in a Box of 5 1000IU vials. The box has a sticker on it stating "refridgirate, do not freeze". And here is you saying keeping it in the fridge is wrong. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, get your facts straight before you go running your mouth of like that. The instructions of storing insulin ***ends on the manufacturer. Don't say "keeping it in the fridge is wrong"

Funny you say that because my doc seems to think its the other way around.

Different temps can effect the effectiveness of the insulin. That is why they advise to store insulin at a certain temp. Otherwise, they would say keep it where you want. Also, when you buy insulin online, why do you think it comes in a ice pack? It comes in a ice pack so it doesn't get too hot during delivery which could effect the insulin.

I am not going to argue with you, you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe. But the point I was trying to get across is insulin is fine in and out of the fridge, but I tend to keep mine in the fridge and everyone else I know also keeps their slin in the fridge and has never had an issue.

-Gear
    Yes unopened vials are supposed to be stored in fridge. Not the 1 you are using. Ask you DR. again or read again. The vial once opened is NOT supposed to be refrigerated. So yes its wrong to keep it in the fridge.

You say different temps effect the insulin. So using your own words. Why wouldn't keeping it cold effect it when it supposed to be at room temp?

Get my facts straight? I guess the fact that I'm a diabetic for 20 years and use insulin daily means nothing. How about the fact that i teach at a camp for diabetic kids also.

I'm sure you reading a website have a wealth more knowledge on insulin then me.

As far as when you buy it and have it shipped to you. I get mine from Walgreen's online and it doesnt come on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King
    I work Fire/Rescue. I have'nt met a single diabetic patient yet that does'nt store their insulin in the fridge. And I've run on hundreds.
    Ye that's the point that I am trying to get across, but it's not getting through, obviously.

Thanx for your input.

-Gear

Yes unopened vials are supposed to be stored in fridge. Not the 1 you are using. Ask you DR. again or read again. The vial once opened is NOT supposed to be refrigerated. So yes its wrong to keep it in the fridge.
    Like I said, I am not going to argue wether it should/shouldn't be kept in the fridge. Whatever, you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe. However, I do find it quite interesting that most people (everyone I know anyway) keep their insulin in the fridge, opened, or unopened. But I suppose everyone else is in the wrong. Read what Lion King said above you. I suppose he and the patients he knows are also wrong too. Like I said, anyway.

You say different temps effect the insulin. So using your own words. Why wouldn't keeping it cold effect it when it supposed to be at room temp?
    Sorry, but what a stupid question. Why would you ask me "Why wouldn't keeping it cold effect it" When the Humalog box states "fridgirate, do not freeze". When I say room temp can effect it, I meant if it gets too hot in the room, then it may possible effect the effectiveness of the insulin. I am just repeating myself here. If other insulins instructions state its fine at room temp, then I can bet my left nut it will also be fine in the fridge as well.

Get my facts straight?
    Ask yourself that.

I guess the fact that I'm a diabetic for 20 years and use insulin daily means nothing.
    That's right, it doean't mean anything. It doesn't necessaraly mean you are eduacted on the compound. Many people suffer from all sorts of illneses, but this doesn't mean they are well eduacted on the medicine they take.

Furthermore, I still don't think you fully understand the point I am trying to get across to you. So here I am, once again I am going to repeat myself. Hopefully this will be the last time. I believe insulin is fine wether its in the fridge or in a room at a controlled temp. However, I keep mine in the fridge because #1, my doc says, #2, the sticker on the box says and #3, because I've never had any issues with my insulin in the fridge. The instructions on storing insulin ***ends on the manufacturer. Some say their insulin is fine kept in a room. This doesn't neccesaraly mean keeping it in the fridge will kill it. And like I said before, I do find it very strange that most people that I know will keep their insulin in the fridge as well. There is a reason why all these people keep their insulin in the fridge and I am sure they can't all be wrong, or are they. Scroll up and read what Lion King said.

-Gear

Thread Information