musclestack is offline Productive Member

Insulin Questions

I can't seem to find any stickies on Insulin in this forum. Am I just blind? Could someone give me the link to where I could find some good information regarding insulin and its use/benefits??

I am curious, if one were to add insulin to his cycle, what difference in gains would it make as opposed to using solely AAS?

Thank you.
    MS

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    first off i would like to say that Morons and training novices should leave this well alone this substance is not for the weak of heart and the person that carnet diet himself right. Diet is key when your messing around with the hormone insulin .it has the highest level of danger out of all the hormones that we can use. There are some bad side affects that you can get off slin you can put on excess fat if your diet is not in check and also you could slip into a diabetic coma and kill yourself this is the most serious side affect of them all with slin extremely dangerous when in the hands of a mug. right now this is over and every one knows the serious consequences of insulin we can move on. Also please dont sleep while the insulin is active this is a definite no if you do go hypo while your asleep you will not know about it and therefore not able to do anything about it you can and will slip into Hypoglycaemic coma.

what is insulin?

A hormone secreted by the pancreas that helps regulate carbohydrate metabolism.

Insulin is a hormone. And like many hormones, insulin is a protein. Insulin is secreted by groups of cells within the pancreas called islet cells. The pancreas is an organ that sits behind the stomach and has many functions in addition to insulin production. The pancreas also produces digestive enzymes and other hormones Carbohydrates (or sugars) are absorbed from the intestines into the bloodstream after a meal. Insulin is then secreted by the pancreas in response to this detected increase in blood sugar. Most cells of the body have insulin receptors which bind the insulin which is in the circulation. When a cell has insulin attached to its surface, the cell activates other receptors designed to absorb glucose (sugar) from the blood stream into the inside of the cell.

Without insulin, you can eat lots of food and actually be in a state of starvation since many of our cells cannot access the calories contained in the glucose very well without the action of insulin. This is why Type 1 diabetics who do not make insulin can become very ill without insulin shots. Insulin is a necessary hormone. Those who develop a deficiency of insulin must have it replaced via shots or pumps (Type 1 Diabetes). More commonly, people will develop insulin resistance (Type 2 Diabetes) rather than a true deficiency of insulin. In this case, the levels of insulin in the blood are similar or even a little higher than in normal, non-diabetic individuals. However, many cells of Type 2 diabetics respond sluggishly to the insulin they make and therefore their cells cannot absorb the sugar molecules well. This leads to blood sugar levels which run higher than normal. Occasionally Type 2 diabetics will need insulin shots but most of the time other methods of treatment will work

Symptoms of Hyperglycemia

The Classic Symptoms
    Polyphagia (frequently hungry)
    Polyuria (frequently urinating)
    Polydipsia (frequently thirsty)

Other Symptoms Might Include

Polyphagia (frequently hungry) Blurred vision
    Polyuria (frequently urinating) Fatigue
    Polydipsia (frequently thirsty) Weight loss
    Poor wound healing (cuts, scrapes, etc.)
    Dry mouth
    Dry or itchy skin
    Impotence (male)
    Recurrent infections such as vaginal yeast infections, groin rash, or external ear infections (swimmers ear)

the different types of insulin

there are four main types of insulin if you dont include the pre-mixed insulins, containing fixed proportions usually of a short and an intermediate acting insulin. the four main ones are
    Fast acting insulins
    These are new insulin analogues. They are made by genetic engineering techniques in which the human insulin gene has been modified slightly. The insulin that is produced is very slightly different from the insulin that we produce naturally. As a result of this small change to its structure, the insulin is absorbed more rapidly into the bloodstream.
    Fast acting insulin analogues start to act almost as soon as they have been injected. Peak activity is usually between 30 mins - 1 hr and the insulin has a duration of action of up to 5 hours.
    Short acting insulins
    These insulins are also known as 'soluble' or 'regular' insulins. They are absorbed reasonably quickly, but not as quickly as the fast acting insulin analogues. Insulin activity usually starts about 30 mins - 1 hr after injecting. Peak activity is usually between 2 - 4 hours and the insulin has a duration of action of up to 8 hours.
    Intermediate acting insulins
    These insulins are also known as 'NPH' or 'isophane' insulins. They have been treated so that absorption into the bloodstream is delayed and their activity is prolonged. Insulin activity usually starts about 2 hrs after injecting. Peak activity is usually between 4 - 12 hours and the insulin often has a duration of action of up to 24 hours.
    Long acting insulins
    These insulins are also known as 'lente' or 'ultra lente' insulins. They have been treated so that absorption into the bloodstream is delayed and their activity is even more prolonged than that of intermediate acting insulins. Activity starts about 2 - 4 hrs after injecting. 'Peak' activity is usually between 6 - 20 hours and the insulin may have a duration of action of up to 36 hours.

the main two that we are going to focus on are fast acting and short acting. you can forget any other type for the purpose we are using for.
    types of fast acting insulin
    novarapid
    humalog

types of short acting insulin

actrapid
    humalin R

For me i would only ever use the fast acting insulin all though short acting could be used i would advise against it and use the fast acting. One reason is it's much safer and the second is because the is less chance of fat storage and the third is because you dont have to be a slave to food for longer which can be a big issue with your social life.

The two different types of insulin dependency

Type 1 diabetes:
    Develops if a person produces no insulin. Type 1 diabetes usually appears in young people (under 40 years of age) and requires treatment with insulin injections.

Type 1 diabetes develops over a few weeks and causes symptoms such as:
    Thirst
    Increased frequency of urination
    Fatigue
    Blurred vision
    Weight loss
    Infections eg skin, pneumonia

Type 2 diabetes:
    Develops if a person produces an insufficient amount of insulin and/or when their body is resistant to the action of insulin. Type 2 diabetes usually appears in older people, and can be treated with a combination of diet, exercise, tablets or insulin injections.

right now that we understand what it is and what types where going to move on to diet and how to take it.

there are two main ways to take insulin
    sub-q (which is the fat layer in between the skin and muscle)
    IM (which is directly into the muscle)

as soon as your finished training shoot the insulin the way you want to do it. I would always shoot IM but you must be careful not to go into a vain with this. Because of the INSTINT on set time which means the insulin will start working right away and be much stronger than i t would IM. i will normally take about 10-15 mins to start to work taking it IM and if you shoot sub-q you could be waiting from 30-60 minutes if shoot sub-q. This is why i will always say take it IM but be very careful shoot in any place where there is low body fat because the slin pin is only short and you want to go IM i shoot in my bi's delt's or calf's but this is only personal preference. Start off on 4iu PWO and then move up one IU everyday until you upto about 10-12 IU This is the safest way until you know how to use insulin and you know how much you can take and how many carbs you need for the amount of insulin you have taken.

diet and insulin
    This is the most important aspect of insulin you must get this right and know how to do it if not then dont even bother you would be better off without it.

first off you want to take you shake not long after injection 5-10 mins. But keep it on hand just incase you go IV because like i said before the onset is instant. the rule of thumb is 10 grams of dextrose to 1 iu of insulin but this is just a safe margin it's normally in the range of about 7 grams dextrose to 1iu of insulin. but start off at 10 grams per iu and then work down after until you feel comfortable with it and you just off hypo. better to be safe than sorry with this stuff. with your carb drink you want about 50-80 grams of whey isolate protein with the dextrose. and have the shake with WATER no milk.
    after that you want a solid meal about an hour after you shot in my eyes chicken and sweet potatoes are the best at this you want low gi carbs with this meal not high gi carbs. you want approx 30-50 grams protein and 30-50 grams of carbs

YOU DONT WANT ANY FATS WHILE INSULIN IS STILL ACTIVE
    just think if insulin shuttles protein and carbs to your muscles it will also shuttle fat and this is the last thing we want because it will not be used for energy it will be stored as fat. So for the entire active life of the insulin always consume only carbs and protein.

BLOOD GLUCOSE METER
    one way to help with blood glucose while your on slin is to get a BG meter i wouldn't have ever used slin with out one of these. My mother got me one because she is a type 2 diabetic i take my BG just before i shoot the slin once again 20mins after my shake and once again after my solid meal. And also one more time before bed because i train on a night and insulin is just finishing not long before i go to bed so i always check before bed to just to make sure.

INSULIN AND IGF1
    i wont even get into this. This is something i just wouldn't do i dont feel the need to use both at the same time it would be much more wise just to cycle them 4 week's on slin the 4 week's on igf1 the repeat or vice versa i dont see the need to up your slin sensitivity by using igf1.

INSULIN AND CRATINE
    now this is a very good supplement to use while using insulin because the increase in insulin while shuttle the creatine into the muscle much better. Why do you think that cell-tech is packed with dextrose ? because it will raise insulin levels a draw the creatine into the muscle cell
    no open source posting
    keep all source request's to PM'S please

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times
    at least 45 day's active use and 100 posts for a source check
    unsure about the rule's please read up
    thread for first cycle choices

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    There are plenty of insulin related threads here at AR.

Insulin gains are a little different to AAS gains. AAS usually brings size and strength gains where as insulin is mostly beneficial for recovery purposes.

-Gear

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Thank you for the info. stocky. I will do MUCH more research before even thinking about using insulin . I'm just trying to get educated on the subject in order to, one day, possibly use it with one of my cycles. But, back to my second question---how will the use of insulin affect one's gains on cycle as opposed to not using insulin?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    Thank you for the info. stocky. I will do MUCH more research before even thinking about using insulin . I'm just trying to get educated on the subject in order to, one day, possibly use it with one of my cycles. But, back to my second question---how will the use of insulin affect one's gains on cycle as opposed to not using insulin?

Thank you.
    Not sure when stock will be back in this forum since he don't hang here very often, so I'll asnwer that.

As I said above insulin is mostly beneficial for recovery. Major strength and muscle gains are hard to come by when using insulin. Insulin has the potential for strength/muscle gains but it would be a long time till you saw some serious gains in that regard.

Insulin is great addition to a AAS cycle. The AAS will deliver strength, weight and muscle, and the insulin will speed up the recovery process. You don't need anything else. Well maybe a bit of HGH would top it off, but that's a totally different topic.

Good luck.

-Gear

Just relised stock is currently active in this thread lol, sorry stocky

-Gear

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear View Post
    Just relised stock is currently active in this thread lol, sorry stocky

-Gear
    lol dont worry mate your the boss

i help out when i can
    no open source posting
    keep all source request's to PM'S please

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times
    at least 45 day's active use and 100 posts for a source check
    unsure about the rule's please read up
    thread for first cycle choices

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Thread Information