Thread: sleep

admirals56 is offline Banned

sleep

on the radio is said when you sleep your body produces more hgh then when awake to repair itself. is this true?

ricker35910 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by admirals56 View Post
    on the radio is said when you sleep your body produces more hgh then when awake to repair itself. is this true?
    yes, that's why it's best to inject hgh 1st thing in morning, unless your pituitary has stopped producing hgh then it's best to inject before bed...

yes, the greatest stimulus for hgh release is DEEP SLEEP. If you want to increase hgh release at night, find ways of falling into deeper sleep. Sleep meds won't work here as they keep you in light sleep. Good supplements for deep sleep include 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, GABA, and by far the best -- GHB (illegal in the U.S.).

Minotaur is offline New Member
    The hours before midnight are supposed to be even more beneficial, if you can get yourself into a deep sleep say for about 10.30pm your onto a winner, some even say an hour before is worth two after!

Timm1704 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    The hours before midnight are supposed to be even more beneficial, if you can get yourself into a deep sleep say for about 10.30pm your onto a winner, some even say an hour before is worth two after!
    how do you figure that the actual time makes any difference as to how much GH you release? Deep sleep is sleep, whatever the hour.

Unless you have a solid rebuttal, in which case, Im all ears

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Your body can produce HGH if you have a nap, but this doesn't mean it will produce more HGH than usual for that day because surely there is a limit on how much HGH your body produces each day.

-Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Timm1704 View Post
    how do you figure that the actual time makes any difference as to how much GH you release? Deep sleep is sleep, whatever the hour.

Unless you have a solid rebuttal, in which case, Im all ears
    I dont recall that my post mentioned anything about "how much GH you release",
    so maybe it maybe beneficial for you to read first then you can choose how many useful comments you release.
    I was merely saying a good healthy sleep routine/pattern, ie getting to bed before midnight, must be better than going to bed in the wee hours therefore being more beneficial, so I fail to see any point to your coment.

Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    I dont recall that my post mentioned anything about "how much GH you release",
    so maybe it maybe beneficial for you to read first then you can choose how many useful comments you release.
    I was merely saying a good healthy sleep routine/pattern, ie getting to bed before midnight, must be better than going to bed in the wee hours therefore being more beneficial, so I fail to see any point to your coment.
    ok mate re-read your fisrt post, and you state that if you fall asleep before midnight, then it is more beneficial. AS the subject of the thread is regarding GH release when sleeping, it is easy for me to think that you are implying that the body would release more GH when sleeping around the hours of midnight, than say if someone had the same quality of sleep in the afternoon.

This isnt an argument, as that is what it appeared to me as what you said, so yes, I do read things before i make comment, and yes, I will leave comments about whatever I see fit. I wasnt being standoffish with my first post, although can see how it came across, but, after the tone of your reply, yes i am indeed being standoffish. Thanks

Standoffish
    Ok bud joking aside, I was reffering to sleep in general in my first post but can see how you interpreted it, no need to argue, back to the topic in hand, peace.

ok mate re-read your fisrt post, and you state that if you fall asleep before midnight, then it is more beneficial. AS the subject of the thread is regarding GH release when sleeping, it is easy for me to think that you are implying that the body would release more GH when sleeping around the hours of midnight, than say if someone had the same quality of sleep in the afternoon.

This isnt an argument, as that is what it appeared to me as what you said, so yes, I do read things before i make comment, and yes, I will leave comments about whatever I see fit. I wasnt being standoffish with my first post, although can see how it came across, but, after the tone of your reply, yes i am indeed being standoffish. Thanks
    You are both correct. The hours before midnight ARE more beneficial, because your body is on a circadian rhythm, and it takes time to enter into deep sleep, and the chemical makeup of your body is such that the deepest sleep will likely occur around 12AM to 1AM.

Deep sleep is the key, and it's more likely to occur if you get in bed before midnight. Not only that, but there are a good many other hormones, chemicals, and nocturnal bodily functions (10:30PM to 1AM is supposed to be a rest period for your adrenals and the time when your liver tries to clear itself, etc.) that make your sleep before midnight much more valuable than the kind of sleep you're in at around 3AM.

Sounds good to me mate.

so for example, If I was to work at nights, and therefore get my good 8 hours of sleep in the afternoon, would I not be getting the same benefits as someone who works 9-5 and gets their 8 hours between 11-7 am?

I am genuinely intrigued by this, not discrediting it.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    time means nothing. i heard alot of crap over the years about midnight being the best time for your body to produce hgh but its bull. there saying that just for the average person that goes to sleep at 10pm and wakes up at 6am. if you go to bed at midnight then the best time for you would be 2 hours after that when your begining your rem. stage

Quote Originally Posted by pietro75 View Post
    time means nothing. i heard alot of crap over the years about midnight being the best time for your body to produce hgh but its bull. there saying that just for the average person that goes to sleep at 10pm and wakes up at 6am. if you go to bed at midnight then the best time for you would be 2 hours after that when your begining your rem. stage

thats exactly what i would assume, but was hoping for some form of evidence to support the contrary

Quote Originally Posted by pietro75 View Post
    well, as I understood it, sunlight has a host of effects on the human body, and darkness has a host of effects on the body as well. Of course, it's possible for someone to establish his own circadian rhythm outside of the norm, but it's not going to be the same. It may work for some people, but I don't think anyone can say that it's "100% as good" to be up at night, and be sleeping during the day. I just don't think it will be the same. I sincerely wish that anyone thinking about working on such a cycle please reconsider their lifestyle choice.

Here's a website on the importance of light and proper circadian rhythms: http://www.holisticonline.com/Light_...ght_clocks.htm

Also, here's some info from a random webpage (Medical College of Wisconsin) I just picked out by googling "sunlight circadian rhythm:"

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/922567322.html

----------------------------------------
    Sleep and Circadian Rhythms

Circadian rhythms are regular changes in mental and physical characteristics that occur in the course of a day (circadian is Latin for "around a day"). Most circadian rhythms are controlled by the body’s biological "clock." This clock, called the suprachiasmatic nucleus or SCN, is actually a pair of pinhead-sized brain structures that together contain about 20,000 neurons. The SCN rests in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, just above the point where the optic nerves cross. Light that reaches photoreceptors in the retina (a tissue at the back of the eye) creates signals that travel along the optic nerve to the SCN.

Signals from the SCN travel to several brain regions, including the pineal gland, which responds to light-induced signals by switching off production of the hormone melatonin. The body’s level of melatonin normally increases after darkness falls, making people feel drowsy. The SCN also governs functions that are synchronized with the sleep/wake cycle, including body temperature, hormone secretion, urine production, and changes in blood pressure.

By depriving people of light and other external time cues, scientists have learned that most people’s biological clocks work on a 25-hour cycle rather than a 24-hour one. But because sunlight or other bright lights can reset the SCN, our biological cycles normally follow the 24-hour cycle of the sun, rather than our innate cycle. Circadian rhythms can be affected to some degree by almost any kind of external time cue, such as the beeping of your alarm clock, the clatter of a garbage truck, or the timing of your meals. Scientists call external time cues zeitgebers (German for "time givers").

When travelers pass from one time zone to another, they suffer from disrupted circadian rhythms, an uncomfortable feeling known as jet lag. For instance, if you travel from California to New York, you "lose" 3 hours according to your body’s clock. You will feel tired when the alarm rings at 8 a.m. the next morning because, according to your body’s clock, it is still 5 a.m. It usually takes several days for your body's cycles to adjust to the new time.

To reduce the effects of jet lag, some doctors try to manipulate the biological clock with a technique called light therapy. They expose people to special lights, many times brighter than ordinary household light, for several hours near the time the subjects want to wake up. This helps them reset their biological clocks and adjust to a new time zone.

Symptoms much like jet lag are common in people who work nights or who perform shift work. Because these people’s work schedules are at odds with powerful sleep-regulating cues like sunlight, they often become uncontrollably drowsy during work, and they may suffer insomnia or other problems when they try to sleep. Shift workers have an increased risk of heart problems, digestive disturbances, and emotional and mental problems, all of which may be related to their sleeping problems. The number and severity of workplace accidents also tend to increase during the night shift. Major industrial accidents attributed partly to errors made by fatigued night-shift workers include the Exxon Valdez oil spill and the Three Mile Island and Chernobyl nuclear power plant accidents. One study also found that medical interns working on the night shift are twice as likely as others to misinterpret hospital test records, which could endanger their patients. It may be possible to reduce shift-related fatigue by using bright lights in the workplace, minimizing shift changes, and taking scheduled naps.

Many people with total blindness experience life-long sleeping problems because their retinas are unable to detect light. These people have a kind of permanent jet lag and periodic insomnia because their circadian rhythms follow their innate cycle rather than a 24-hour one. Daily supplements of melatonin may improve night-time sleep for such patients. However, since the high doses of melatonin found in most supplements can build up in the body, long-term use of this substance may create new problems. Because the potential side effects of melatonin supplements are still largely unknown, most experts discourage melatonin use by the general public.

Article Created: 1999-03-27
    Article Updated: 1999-04-09
    Last edited by barondumonde; 03-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.

o and since we're talking about hgh release and sleep, I think it's safe to say that nighttime is the time when you're most likely to fall into deep sleep, and thus, that hgh would be maximized by going to sleep earlier at night (so as to take advantage of deeper sleep resulting from being in the most effective and beneficial circadian rhythm).
    Last edited by barondumonde; 03-13-2008 at 12:22 AM.

btw, if anyone IS going to be working their circadian cycle so that their awake at night, this article may be of interest:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._82470019/pg_1

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by barondumonde View Post
    My dear friend, sunlight has a host of effects on the human body, and darkness has a host of effects on the body as well. Of course, it's possible for someone to establish his own circadian rhythm outside of the norm, but it's not going to be the same. It may work for some people, but I don't think anyone can say that it's "100% as good" to be up at night, and be sleeping during the day. I just don't think it will be the same. I sincerely wish that anyone thinking about working on such a cycle please reconsider their lifestyle choice.

Here's a website on the importance of light and proper circadian rhythms: http://www.holisticonline.com/Light_...ght_clocks.htm

Also, here's some info from a random webpage (Medical College of Wisconsin) I just picked out by googling "sunlight circadian rhythm:"

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/922567322.html

----------------------------------------
    Sleep and Circadian Rhythms

Circadian rhythms are regular changes in mental and physical characteristics that occur in the course of a day (circadian is Latin for "around a day"). Most circadian rhythms are controlled by the body’s biological "clock." This clock, called the suprachiasmatic nucleus or SCN, is actually a pair of pinhead-sized brain structures that together contain about 20,000 neurons. The SCN rests in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, just above the point where the optic nerves cross. Light that reaches photoreceptors in the retina (a tissue at the back of the eye) creates signals that travel along the optic nerve to the SCN.

Signals from the SCN travel to several brain regions, including the pineal gland, which responds to light-induced signals by switching off production of the hormone melatonin. The body’s level of melatonin normally increases after darkness falls, making people feel drowsy. The SCN also governs functions that are synchronized with the sleep/wake cycle, including body temperature, hormone secretion, urine production, and changes in blood pressure.

By depriving people of light and other external time cues, scientists have learned that most people’s biological clocks work on a 25-hour cycle rather than a 24-hour one. But because sunlight or other bright lights can reset the SCN, our biological cycles normally follow the 24-hour cycle of the sun, rather than our innate cycle. Circadian rhythms can be affected to some degree by almost any kind of external time cue, such as the beeping of your alarm clock, the clatter of a garbage truck, or the timing of your meals. Scientists call external time cues zeitgebers (German for "time givers").

When travelers pass from one time zone to another, they suffer from disrupted circadian rhythms, an uncomfortable feeling known as jet lag. For instance, if you travel from California to New York, you "lose" 3 hours according to your body’s clock. You will feel tired when the alarm rings at 8 a.m. the next morning because, according to your body’s clock, it is still 5 a.m. It usually takes several days for your body's cycles to adjust to the new time.

To reduce the effects of jet lag, some doctors try to manipulate the biological clock with a technique called light therapy. They expose people to special lights, many times brighter than ordinary household light, for several hours near the time the subjects want to wake up. This helps them reset their biological clocks and adjust to a new time zone.

Symptoms much like jet lag are common in people who work nights or who perform shift work. Because these people’s work schedules are at odds with powerful sleep-regulating cues like sunlight, they often become uncontrollably drowsy during work, and they may suffer insomnia or other problems when they try to sleep. Shift workers have an increased risk of heart problems, digestive disturbances, and emotional and mental problems, all of which may be related to their sleeping problems. The number and severity of workplace accidents also tend to increase during the night shift. Major industrial accidents attributed partly to errors made by fatigued night-shift workers include the Exxon Valdez oil spill and the Three Mile Island and Chernobyl nuclear power plant accidents. One study also found that medical interns working on the night shift are twice as likely as others to misinterpret hospital test records, which could endanger their patients. It may be possible to reduce shift-related fatigue by using bright lights in the workplace, minimizing shift changes, and taking scheduled naps.

Many people with total blindness experience life-long sleeping problems because their retinas are unable to detect light. These people have a kind of permanent jet lag and periodic insomnia because their circadian rhythms follow their innate cycle rather than a 24-hour one. Daily supplements of melatonin may improve night-time sleep for such patients. However, since the high doses of melatonin found in most supplements can build up in the body, long-term use of this substance may create new problems. Because the potential side effects of melatonin supplements are still largely unknown, most experts discourage melatonin use by the general public.

Article Created: 1999-03-27
    Article Updated: 1999-04-09
    my dear friend i sleep in the dark no matter if its day or night. there is this invention called the mini-blinds that works wonders. i dont see the sun all winter because i work inside. im well aware of the benifits of sunlight so please dont preach to me about that. i sleep at night tiime because i work days but you cant tell me that every single police officer, prison gaurd or anyone else that works the night shift's body produces less gh because they sleep during the day. thats just insane. so you think that during the 90 days of darkness in norway everyone 's body dosnt produce hgh? time to go back to school my dear friend as you so elegantly pu it
    Last edited by PT; 03-13-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Honestly, I don't know if I want to look for articles that would specifically support what I was talking about earlier, but this article talks about endocrine output adjustment according to day and night duration. I don't care to argue much either way as I don't plan on ever switching my cycle towards work at night.

If anyone has any helpful articles on this topic, I'd be glad to look at it and clear up my own knowledge.

-------------------------------------

Vol. 49, No. 3-4, 1998
    Free Abstract Article (Fulltext) Article (PDF 258 KB)

Endocrine Rhythms: Roles of the Sleep-Wake Cycle, the Circadian Clock and the Environment
    Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications
    40th International Henri-Pierre Klotz Symposium on Clinical Endocrinology
    Paris, May 29-30, 1997
    Guest Editors: G. Copinschi, Brussels; E. Van Cauter, Chicago, Ill.

Paper

Effect of Seasonal Changes in Daylength on Human Neuroendocrine Function
    Thomas A. Wehr

Clinical Psychobiology Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Md., USA

Address of Corresponding Author

Horm Res 1998;49:118-124 (DOI: 10.1159/000023157)

goto top of page Key Words

* Circadian rhythm
    * Photoperiod
    * Season
    * Melatonin
    * Prolactin
    * Growth hormone
    * Cortisol
    * Light

goto top of page Abstract

The circadian pacemaker imposes stereotypic patterns of daily variation on the activity of human neuroendocrine systems. In a number of cases, these patterns exhibit waveforms that are characterized by distinct diurnal and nocturnal periods with relatively discrete transitions between them (corresponding to a biological day, a biological dusk, a biological night, and a biological dawn). In humans, for example, diurnal periods of absence of melatonin secretion, low prolactin secretion, and falling levels of cortisol alternate with nocturnal periods of active melatonin secretion, high prolactin secretion and rising levels of cortisol. In response to light, the circadian pacemaker synchronizes the timing of the biological day and night so that their timing and duration are appropriately matched with the timing and duration of the solar day and night. As the pacemaker carries out this function, it is able to adjust the duration of the biological day and night to match seasonal variation in the duration of the solar day and night. Thus, after humans have been chronically exposed to long nights (scotoperiods), the duration of nocturnal periods of active melatonin secretion, high prolactin secretion and rising levels of cortisol is longer than it is after they have been chronically exposed to short nights. Furthermore, the sleep-related peak of growth hormone secretion is half as high after exposure to long nights as it is after exposure to short nights. These responses to seasonal changes in duration of the natural scotoperiod are suppressed in most individuals - especially men - who live in modern urban environments in which they are exposed to artificial light after dark and artificial darkness during the daytime.

goto top of page Author Contacts

Thomas A. Wehr, MD
    Clinical Psychobiology Branch, National Institute of Mental Health
    Building 10, Room 3S-231, 10 Center Drive MSC1390
    Bethesda, MD 20892-1390 (USA)
    Tel. +1 301 496 2141, Fax +1 301 496 5439, E-Mail [email protected]

goto top of page Article Information

Number of Print Pages : 7
    Number of Figures : 7, Number of Tables : 0, Number of References : 17

great info, as daft as it sounds, it isnt completely illogical to assume the moon has some form of effect on the body at night, afterall, it does control the tides, so maybe it has some effect on the bodys water system.

**slaps himself on the forehead**

Nickster#1 is offline Banned
    A couple beers and then a blowjob, BAMM, hit the lights cuz Im outta here. I just hope the bitch has a crossword puzzle or something to do until I wake up for more, HEHE.............

Testaplex P 100 is offline New Member
    good stuff...I dont know if the sun or moon play an effect on the body but it sure would make sense...before we all had alarm clocks and night jobs we woke with the sun and went to sleeep as the sun did. haha ironic how we debate things like this when we are on an anabolic forum.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    so for example, If I was to work at nights, and therefore get my good 8 hours of sleep in the afternoon, would I not be getting the same benefits as someone who works 9-5 and gets their 8 hours between 11-7 am?

I am genuinely intrigued by this, not discrediting it.
    You are putting way to much though into this and trying to find a reason to argue. This and most statements are based on the majority. If you work graveyard shift you are NOT the majority and must adjust things to fit your schedule OBVIOUSLY!

Yes midnight matter because as stated we are talking about the norm and about sunlight/daylight. Every hear of needing/getting vitamin D from sunlight? How about articles of people in Alaska having problems due to lack of sunlight in the winter and having sleep issues during the summer due to the sun bing up? If you need specifics use Google.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 04-23-2008 at 07:32 PM.

sleepyt333 is offline New Member
    yes, the greatest stimulus for hgh release is DEEP SLEEP. If you want to increase hgh release at night, find ways of falling into deeper sleep. Sleep meds won't work here as they keep you in light sleep. Good supplements for deep sleep include 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, GABA, and by far the best -- GHB (illegal in the U.S.).
    Would melatonin be a good supplement for "Deeper sleep"?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barondumonde View Post
    Read above

Thread Information