Thread: insulin

BUDGIE is offline Associate Member

insulin

has anyone heard of novomix 30 penfill. made by novo nordisk a/s. is this a fast acting insulin ?

Novomix 30 is not really a quick acting insulin in the strictest sense, and probably wouldn't be the best choice for athletic purposes. The composition is 30% fast acting insulin, and 70% of the more intermediate length insulins. It does hit hard quickly and peaks in 1-4 hours. The problem is that it lingers for many hours, up to a whole day. It is really designed for diabetics, so they can take a single injection and keep their a1c under control without so many daily injections.

For athletic endeavors, it would probably hit hard enough to give the muscles a pretty good force feeding, but the lingering characteristic of it would require a diet that would be ridiculously restrictive unless your athletic idol somehow resembles Jabba the Hut. I know there are some experiments with long acting insulins now, but honestly I can't see the merit in them at this point. Insulin will only force feed your muscles to the extent that they will take on fuel. Beyond that, insulin crams everything extra right into your fat cells, and packs away every single bit you eat into those fat stores. For me, this is a case where more is definitely NOT better. Short of being a diabetic, you want your insulin to hit fast, top off the muscles, and then get the heck out of the body fast so you don't end up storing every bite of food as fat for the whole day.

BUDGIE is offline Associate Member
    respect

Thread Information