green22 is offline Senior Member

question about PWO slin nutrition

Gonna be taking the slin/humalog soon PWO only and I have come across a bunch PWO/weight gainer drinks at a local flea market. Cytogainer by cytosport. Anyway its 570 calories, 4.5 fat, 75 carbs and 54 protein...Carbs are malodextrin...My question is do you guys think the 4.5 grams of fat are to many PWO. I know fat need to be next to nothing while the slin is active...Would 4.5 fats qualify as next to nothing?????And would the malodextrin be ok???from what I read it would be fine but just wanting some opinions....But I was thinking this may be a pretty good POW drink post injection.
    thanks

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't see 4.5g fat being a major problem, although you might try it out for a couple of weeks and then change to 0g fat pwo and compare. Just make sure you're not adding anymore fat w/ any of your other meals while the slin is active (3-5 hrs.) How much slin you planning on using?

starting at 5iu and bumping up to 8-10...very slowly...and only PWO..

Quote Originally Posted by green22 View Post
    starting at 5iu and bumping up to 8-10...very slowly...and only PWO..
    I like your plan, that's exactly what I'm doing. Been running peps w/ slin for 2 months now (5-8iu pwo) and haven't seen an increase in bodyfat while lean bulking.

Patryn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    I like your plan, that's exactly what I'm doing. Been running peps w/ slin for 2 months now (5-8iu pwo) and haven't seen an increase in bodyfat while lean bulking.
    Have you been sticking with the regularly accepted 10g of dextrose for every iu injected? How much fat are you consuming while the slin is active?

GluteStriations is offline New Member
    Any type of sugar will do, honestly. Hell, table sugar works. I've tried. Apple sauce, chocolate syrup, honey, maple syrup, candy, milk, whatever. I didn't notice a difference between dextrose, or any of the above mentioned sugar sources. The only thing was the affect on the stomach. 75g of honey is sickening, but a bottle of Gatorade isn't.

As for fats, my personal preference is 0g fat. I'm very anal about it. I don't even go .5g fat. Personal preference really.

Quote Originally Posted by Patryn View Post
    Have you been sticking with the regularly accepted 10g of dextrose for every iu injected? How much fat are you consuming while the slin is active?
    I started w/ the typical 7-10g dextrose per iu of slin but I have since switched to 15-20g dextrose with 5g leucine and 5g creatine immediately after pinning the slin (pwo) and then 10 mins later I have a shake consisting of 50g whey/casein and 50g oats (grinded up). I never go hypo using this formula (although everyone is different so error on the side of caution especially if you're new to slin). I do have glucose tabs on hand in case. I like to use the smallest amount of dextrose as possible as I believe this helps keep the bodyfat at bay. As far as fats consumed while the slin is active I try to take in 0g but I do believe the oats have a trace amount of fats (~2-3g) which I don't see being a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GluteStriations View Post
    Any type of sugar will do, honestly. Hell, table sugar works. I've tried. Apple sauce, chocolate syrup, honey, maple syrup, candy, milk, whatever. I didn't notice a difference between dextrose, or any of the above mentioned sugar sources. The only thing was the affect on the stomach. 75g of honey is sickening, but a bottle of Gatorade isn't.

As for fats, my personal preference is 0g fat. I'm very anal about it. I don't even go .5g fat. Personal preference really.
    I def. see your logic and shoot for 0g of fats as well but I don't think 5g or less fat is a problem (or hasn't been for me thus far). That being said everyone is different but in general anyone using slin should strive to use 0g of fats while the slin is active.

Any particular reason why 2.5 cans of Pepsi retro can't replace 100g of dextrose?

I initially tried a similar formula to what you use. I found that oats were absorbed too slowly, hence the soda etc. You're able to replace simple carbs with complex on slin and your blood glucose levels are fine? What's your dosage?

GluteStriations is offline New Member
    I def. see your logic and shoot for 0g of fats as well but I don't think 5g or less fat is a problem (or hasn't been for me thus far). That being said everyone is different but in general anyone using slin should strive to use 0g of fats while the slin is active.
    Thank you for your understanding. I've been flamed many times for saying I only go 0 fat. The way I see it, is say 5g of fat with each slin shot. Say, 10g a day from 2 shots. 300g for 30 days usage of slin. That's 0.6 lb of fat storage that could have been avoided in 1 month. Something like that. Anyway. Just wanted to chime in again. Cheers!

Any particular reason why 2.5 cans of Pepsi retro can't replace 100g of dextrose?
    100g dextrose in one sitting is way overboard, you're going to have spillover and you're going to put on bodyfat. How much slin you using?

I initially tried a similar formula to what you use. I found that oats were absorbed too slowly, hence the soda etc. You're able to replace simple carbs with complex on slin and your blood glucose levels are fine? What's your dosage?
    I normally take 5iu pwo. After pinning I consume a shake of 15g dextrose, 5g leucine, and 5g creatine then 10 mins later have the 50g whey/casein and 50g Oats. Yes the oats are complex carb so they are absorbed more slowly than say dextrose but I have the dextrose shake first to be safe. I haven't gone hypo using this plan but if I did I have glucose tabs on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GluteStriations View Post
    Thank you for your understanding. I've been flamed many times for saying I only go 0 fat. The way I see it, is say 5g of fat with each slin shot. Say, 10g a day from 2 shots. 300g for 30 days usage of slin. That's 0.6 lb of fat storage that could have been avoided in 1 month. Something like that. Anyway. Just wanted to chime in again. Cheers!
    No problem bro no flame here, everyone is entitled to their opinion and IMO your opinion is sound and something I think everyone using slin should strive for. You're right, 5g fat here and there can add up. Nothing wrong with being OCD, I'm pretty OCD myself.

100g dextrose in one sitting is way overboard, you're going to have spillover and you're going to put on bodyfat. How much slin you using?
    10iu PWO.

10iu PWO.
    well the notion of 10g glucose per 1iu of slin is a bit of an overstatement as I believe this is in place for cautionary measures. That being said it's probably good you've started w/ 100g glucose per 10iu slin but I believe you can get away with much less. This is something you should maybe try to experiment with (although you should def. have glucose tabs on hand in case you get hypo symptoms). I bet you could get away w/ 50-70g dextrose per 10iu slin and not go hypo. The reason a lot of people gain fat while using slin is they consume way to many carbs...so I would suggest either dropping some carbs or reducing your slin amount.

Generally, my first noticeable symptoms of hypo seem to hit together (dizziness, cold, profuse sweating). This has generally occurred at hours 4, 6, or even 7.5 while on Humalog R. At that point, how much sugar would you recommend? I have glucose tabs but they contain roughly 4g of sugar each. I have, in the past, chugged half of a gatorade (21g of sugar) and waited it out. I obviously don't want to use too little, and am concerned that I may be using too much. Should one glucose tab suffice, or do BBs usually take the entire roll (6ish tabs) when their symptoms reach that point?

Generally, my first noticeable symptoms of hypo seem to hit together (dizziness, cold, profuse sweating). This has generally occurred at hours 4, 6, or even 7.5 while on Humalog R. At that point, how much sugar would you recommend? I have glucose tabs but they contain roughly 4g of sugar each. I have, in the past, chugged half of a gatorade (21g of sugar) and waited it out. I obviously don't want to use too little, and am concerned that I may be using too much. Should one glucose tab suffice, or do BBs usually take the entire roll (6ish tabs) when their symptoms reach that point?
    I think you meant Humulin R not Humalog R right? I would honestly recommend you ditch the Humulin R and get Humalog as the Humalog will clear you system within 3-5 hours so you want have those late peaks that are causing you to go hypo 6+ hours after your slin shot. As far as how many glucose tabs to use I would use the minimal amount so pop one wait a few mins and see if you feel better. If not then pop another one and repeat if necessary.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Its novalin r now lol. Just how humalog switched to novalog. Changing up the names. 24 bucks at walmart

I think you meant Humulin R not Humalog R right? I would honestly recommend you ditch the Humulin R and get Humalog as the Humalog will clear you system within 3-5 hours so you want have those late peaks that are causing you to go hypo 6+ hours after your slin shot. As far as how many glucose tabs to use I would use the minimal amount so pop one wait a few mins and see if you feel better. If not then pop another one and repeat if necessary.
    Yes, I meant Humalin R. I am not certain if I can get humalog here as conveniently/reliably. I seem to be at around 2.2 when testing via a blood glucose monitor when I have these symptons. I took a glucose tab and waited 10mins. Blood glucose level up to 7.3. I guess I was overdoing it with the gatorade, which is good as this new knowledge will result in less accumulated fat. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    Its novalin r now lol. Just how humalog switched to novalog. Changing up the names. 24 bucks at walmart
    Humalog = Novolog are considered your rapid acting slins. duration = 3-5 hrs.
    Humulin R = Novolin R are considered short acting slin (although longer acting than the rapid acting slins). duration = 5-8 hrs.

I live here in Tennesse (not far from you) and can only get Humulin R OTC without a prescription. Had to score me some Humalog on the black market! lol

Yes, I meant Humalin R. I am not certain if I can get humalog here as conveniently/reliably. I seem to be at around 2.2 when testing via a blood glucose monitor when I have these symptons. I took a glucose tab and waited 10mins. Blood glucose level up to 7.3. I guess I was overdoing it with the gatorade, which is good as this new knowledge will result in less accumulated fat. Thanks.
    Not sure where you live but you might investigate trying to find some Humalog over the internet as some sites sale it without prescription. I'm glad you figured out it only takes a small amount of glucose to raise your bg levels and yes this will help hold of the fat accumulation.

have made it to 10units PWO now..Everything seems fine. Question is how do you know your sweet spot???Im not getting any hypo signs so thats good but cant really tell any differance in terms of fullness/size ect...Any need in bumping it up???this is only PWO, I will not be using any other time of day...

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If using slin pwo I agree with m302 and would switch to humalog for the rapid onset more than anything. I use humilin r pre workout and like knowing its active pre, intra, and post workout on my longer workout sessions. I'll spend 2-3 hours in the gym on occasions and want the longer acting slin.

have made it to 10units PWO now..Everything seems fine. Question is how do you know your sweet spot???Im not getting any hypo signs so thats good but cant really tell any differance in terms of fullness/size ect...Any need in bumping it up???this is only PWO, I will not be using any other time of day...
    Well how is your recovery...still getting as sore as you generally do? It's hard to determine your sweet spot but I wouldn't increase it more than 10iu at one give time as I believe anymore will lead to excess bodyfat. You could try breaking the dose down into two, 5iu doses...I've been pinning 5iu earlier in the day as well as 5iu pwo with good success. Just need to be super strict w/ your diet and keep your fat intake close to 0 while the slin is active.

Cant say the soreness has been any less....but pumps do seem to be a lil stronger. Its only been a couple of weeks so might be a lil to early to tell,what do you guys think?? I don't think Im gonna exceed 10 units...I will say that 30-45 min after injection I feel tired as crap. Then 2.5 hrs after shot it starts to go away..Weird huh???ya'll get that???

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    No size or weight increase?

no...

Cant say the soreness has been any less....but pumps do seem to be a lil stronger. Its only been a couple of weeks so might be a lil to early to tell,what do you guys think?? I don't think Im gonna exceed 10 units...I will say that 30-45 min after injection I feel tired as crap. Then 2.5 hrs after shot it starts to go away..Weird huh???ya'll get that???
    Yeah sounds like it's alittle to early to tell bro seeing as its only been 2 weeks....took me about a month for my muscles to start feeling fuller. Feeling tired after your slin injection is not uncommon as a drop in bg levels will make your tired. Do you have a bg meter? If so, 30-45 after your injection when you start feeling sleepy test your blood sugar. I bet it will be pretty low...you might need to up your carbs.

yea got glucose meter..cant see it being the need for more carbs since Im taking in 100g in PWO shake then another 90g in white rice 1 hr after inject, but who knows...I have been killing it in the gym so maybe Im just exhausted...But I have not felt shakey/weak/ sweaty....But its only been to weeks. M302 maybe I'll be like you a take about a month to see anything.. I can say that tonights back /shoulder workout was strong with great pump...Maybe its just the tip of the iceberg..

yea got glucose meter..cant see it being the need for more carbs since Im taking in 100g in PWO shake then another 90g in white rice 1 hr after inject, but who knows...I have been killing it in the gym so maybe Im just exhausted...But I have not felt shakey/weak/ sweaty....But its only been to weeks. M302 maybe I'll be like you a take about a month to see anything.. I can say that tonights back /shoulder workout was strong with great pump...Maybe its just the tip of the iceberg..
    yeah def. doesn't sound like lack of carbs is an issue. Great pumps and workout is a good indicator so I think you're right as far as tip of the iceberg. Next time you feel sleepy after the slin test your bg as I'd like to know out of curiosity.

Thread Information