Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member

Secret weapon against sports injuries? It's called growth hormone

Secret weapon against sports injuries? It's called growth hormone

Top-level athletes with nasty injuries often recover surprisingly fast. How come? A human study published by sports scientists at the University of Copenhagen in the Journal of Physiology points to the probable answer: growth hormone

Six years ago the coach Sal Marinello wrote a column in the Healthy Skeptic [The Healthy Skeptic Jul 25, 2006] in response to an article in Muscle & Fitness about the football player Terrel Owens. Owens had made it known that he had been given preparations that boosted recovery of his joints. Marinello smelled a rat. Might Owens be getting growth hormone, or IGF-1? Both substances are on the doping list.

Rumours of the use of forbidden substances to speed up recovery from injury have been doing the rounds in the sports world for years. In 2010 Danish researchers published the results of a human trial, which indicate that there may be some truth to the rumours.

The Danes gave 10 healthy men aged 30 a daily injection of human growth hormone for 14 weeks. They used Norditropin from the Novo Nordisk factory. During the first week the men were given an injection every day containing 33.3 micrograms growth hormone per kg bodyweight, and in the second week they were given 50 micrograms per kg bodyweight.

Before and after the course of growth hormone the researchers extracted samples of tissue from the muscle attachments in the men's knee joint and from their quadriceps. On one occasion this was done 24 hours after that the men had 'trained' their legs, doing a set of leg extensions; on the other occasion it was done after the men had done no exercise.

The course of growth hormone injections boosted the production of collagen in the knee joint, as the figure below shows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghcollagen.gif 
Views:	291 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	138326

Growth hormone had no effect on the protein fibres responsible for muscle contraction [myofibrillar protein]. But the growth hormone did stimulate the production of muscle collagen, as the figure below shows. So growth hormone itself doesn't make muscles stronger, but it does create the conditions under which muscles are able to grow stronger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghcollagen2.gif 
Views:	281 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	138327

So it may well be the case that torn muscles and damaged muscle attachments heal more quickly if growth hormone is administered, the Danes suggest. It's not a completely new idea. There are a couple of animal studies in which growth hormone has been shown to boost recovery of damaged cartilage [BMC Physiol. 2007 Mar 26; 7:2.] [J Orthop Res. 2002 Sep; 20(5): 910-9.] and there are a couple of human studies that also point in the same direction. Spanish doctors for example have had some success in treating athletes’ torn Achilles tendons with a cocktail of growth factors, including IGF-1. [Am J Sports Med. 2007 Feb;35(2):245-51.]

"In this study, just 14 days of rhGH supplementation in healthy individuals increased collagen synthesis by up to 6-fold without causing any side effects", the Danes write. "An increase of this magnitude holds clinical perspectives in relation to traumatic musculoskeletal injuries, where the collagen matrix inevitably is damaged."

Source: J Physiol. 2010 Jan 15;588(Pt 2):341-51.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Most of us pretty much knew this but it's good to see the science behind it. I would assume much like HGH growth hormone peptides (GHRP/GHRH) would work much the same.

Good article.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola
    Most of us pretty much knew this but it's good to see the science behind it. I would assume much like HGH growth hormone peptides (GHRP/GHRH) would work much the same.
    This is what I want to know as I have played sports my whole life and am plagued by aches and pains

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    This is what I want to know as I have played sports my whole life and am plagued by aches and pains
    Me too bro...I will say I've been on peps for about a year now and they have seemed to help to some extent.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the thread Turkish. I have been researching GH since I was injured. I plan on using it to help rebuild my knee.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post
    Thanks for the thread Turkish. I have been researching GH since I was injured. I plan on using it to help rebuild my knee.
    You should still consider physical therapy as the primary option.

Proper PT + HGH can work miracles.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great read, thanks.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry. I'll stick to my TB500. much more economical, less likely to be bogus, and the shit works. Period.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    You should still consider physical therapy as the primary option.

Proper PT + HGH can work miracles.
    I have already done 6 months of PT. They gave up after workers compensation determined that it was permanent disability. I said F*** what workers compensation says. I continued PT on my own and my mobility has improved drastically.

Thread Information