Flynman is offline Associate Member

Diabetic just put on insulin and have questions

I have been a type 2 diabetic for a few years and was able to control it with diet and low dose of Glyburide. However my blood sugar levels are running in the mid to high 200's even on low carb and clean diet. My morning fasting blood sugar is around 170-180. Glyburide dosage was raised but not effective. So the Doctor put me on Novolin R. I am currently taking 7iu's when I get up in the morning to get my fasting sugar down. It usually takes about 1 hr. for it to get down to 120. I then have a meal consisting of 8 egg whites, 3 pieces canadian lean bacon, 1 cup oatmeal, 50g whey protien shake 1/2 water 1/2 coconut water mix. Then about an hour later I train for about 1 1/2. I monitor my blood sugar during workouts and have a gatorade or Karbolyn drink. Blood sugar usually stays around 90-100. Then post workout meal. I have gotten into the 70's with my blood sugar but I start to sweat and shake a little when it starts to get there. I will then drink a soda or Karbolun with protien. Around 3pm My sugars start to rise again and I take another 5-6 iu's and have another meal 2 chicken breast, sweet potato, salad. Dinner usually lean steak, vegetable and rice or sweet potato. Blood sugar is usually around 110-120 when I go to bed. I have been doing this routine for about 4 weeks. I have gained 12 lbs of solid muscle and strength is going way up. I also take TRT 200mgs test cyp wk. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I figure I might as well use this to my advantage in my training routine.

Thanks,
    Keith R

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Have you been thoroughly tested to confirm it's Insulin Resistance Diabetes? I've been in a similar boat, but there's always a point where you're lifestyle/goals can be modified, always.

212OlympiaBound is offline Associate Member
    It sounds like you're currently doing great at managing your sugar. I guess the conventional way to tailor your insulin use towards muscle gains would be to shoot directly preworkout so that it starts hitting hard at the end of your workout and postworkout for recovery. You could shoot a little more than you actually need preworkout, cut fats out of your diet for the next 5.5 hours, and focus on eating high protein and complex carbos postworkout while the exogenous slin is really kicking

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If you're type 2 (insulin resistant), trying to use slin to bulk up is a terrible idea. The more carbs and insulin you take in, the more insulin resistant you'll become. I shouldn't have to explain why that's a bad thing...
    You feel good and put on a bit of mass now because you finally got your blood sugar under control and got more fuel into your muscles, but don't overdo it.

212OlympiaBound is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    If you're type 2 (insulin resistant), trying to use slin to bulk up is a terrible idea. The more carbs and insulin you take in, the more insulin resistant you'll become. I shouldn't have to explain why that's a bad thing...
    You feel good and put on a bit of mass now because you finally got your blood sugar under control and got more fuel into your muscles, but don't overdo it.
    I don't agree with this one bit. I haven't found a shred of evidence showing that shooting insulin increases insulin resistance. If it did, diabetics would be screwed.

Also....this guy literally needs insulin to bulk up.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 212OlympiaBound View Post
    I don't agree with this one bit. I haven't found a shred of evidence showing that shooting insulin increases insulin resistance. If it did, diabetics would be screwed.

Also....this guy literally needs insulin to bulk up.
    Seriously? You don't see how exposing your cells to high levels of insulin increases insulin resistance? That's the whole mechanism responsible for type II diabetes (where the chronically elevated insulin is originally endogenous, and supplemental insulin needs to be brought into the mix once the pancreas can no longer meet demand).
    And I already explained why insulin resistant diabetics "are screwed" if they overindulge in carbs and insulin.

Thread Information