Thread: OTC insulin

JuliusPleaser is offline Senior Member

OTC insulin

If all you have is over the counter regular slin, how could you take it for bodybuilding purposes.

its the one that kicks in 45 mins and then lasts like 5 hours or so, I think its N

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You would simply take your shot pre workout and consume enough carbs intra workout, post workout and the meal following. Essentially it would be similar to dosing humalog pre and post workout but you would take the single shot pre workout.

My opinion above is based off the 5 hour window you speak of. Im not familiar with what the regular insulin in US is.

I should mention, I am not a fan of anything other than humalog. The peaks are too unpredictable with humulin in my experience and I personally had hypo issues. To be fair I did not give it much of a chance either as I do have access to all types so I just switched back to humalog after a couple scares.

What about people taking Lantus that is essentially 24 hours?

Could I take 2 shots of Regular and cover like 10 hrs of the day?

And How would you do insulin with Ipam/GRF 1... probably can't do them at all together, unless you have exogenous GH

hello?>

No experience with Ipam/GRF so I can't comment on that.

Yes you could take 2 shots of regular and try to cover your full day. Keep in mind however that you would lose insulin sensitivity quite fast this way just as you would with lantus.

As long as you intake enough carbs to ensure you don't go hypo, you can essentially do whatever you please. The goal is staying insulin sensitive so abusing dosages and running insulin all day is not the best bet unless you are very lean to begin with. I say this because the longer you can stay sensitive to insulin, the longer you can keep running it without having to come off (within reason of course).

I'm not lean at all right now, in fact, I have like 30lbs to lose of fat... I was thinking maybe building muscle fast would help but probably not with insulin .

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    You have multiple things going on here.

First, the PURPOSE of insulin in bodybuilding is to push nutrients to the muscle.

Second, the GOAL you want to achieve is insulin sensitivity remains unaffected.

Lantus can (doesn't usually) impact current insulin sensitivity. The whole purpose of this artificial insulin is for patients with reduced insulin sensitivity due to body fat. This is not the insulin you want to use for bodybuilding purposes.

Novo-rapid is the insulin bodybuilders use. It is premeal insulin that impacts the blood sugar spike after meals. The lower the blood sugar spike the more nutrients pushed to muscles.

To maintain insulin sensitivity is obtained through minimizing meals and maximizing fasting period. It would be considered ideal to have one big meal a day where you use the Novo-rapid and that is it. Many bodybuilders follow this via the post workout meal when utilization of nutrients is at maximum.

Thread Information