mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member

Exclamation small quad tear == a lot of bruises

Hello guys,

I injured myself 2 weeks ago just by lifting a 15 pound dumbbell with my foot (front part of the foot). I felt a little twinge on my upper left leg near the abductor and didn't really pay attention to it. The following morning I had a small bruise with a bit of pain, stiffness, pumped leg sensation, and some restriction on my range of motion.

So after 4 days like this, I exploded with a big bruise on my whole upper leg.

Went to the (regular) Doctor and he told me that I had suffered a small tear and that the big bruise was a consequent of my small quadricep tear. I'm under anti-inflammatory pills( 3 x day) and another for infection(3 x day).

How long will it take to heal? just an approximate.. Are we talking about weeks or months?

Do you guys think I should have been recommended for an M.R.I.?

Smart-tony is offline Member
    You would be best to see a RMT massage so they can break down the muscle tissue,if there seem to be a problem they will tell you to get a MRI.I know a few very good friend who went for a Quad tear and were better in under a few weeks without pain and train there quads with light to med weight.I had many injurys and a RMT will do wonders for you.Best of luck!,

mario_ps2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart-tony
    You would be best to see a RMT massage so they can break down the muscle tissue,if there seem to be a problem they will tell you to get a MRI.I know a few very good friend who went for a Quad tear and were better in under a few weeks without pain and train there quads with light to med weight.I had many injurys and a RMT will do wonders for you.Best of luck!,
    Thanks for your answers!! What is a RMT message? Is it like a release active muscle technique or something similar?

Now, the purple bruises/blood are starting to dissipate, however they moved from my front thigh to my lower hamstrings. The doctor mentioned something about the blood spreading throughout the muscle and that it would be better for the healing process because then the spread blood can be absorved by my own body.

As of now 2 weeks 1/2, I feel pain around my knee and on the back too! It still feels kind of stiff but my range of motion is better but I'm afraid to do any bending movements in fear of re-rupturing it again.

What do you believe I should do?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    hold out, wait about 6- 8 wks, you should be healed by then, if not, if you still have a good deal of pain, time to go to an orthopedic for an mri. massage of anykind will help get that pooling blood moving and increase the healing process, also dont forget ice

Thread Information