steveo_r33 is offline Junior Member

Perthes Disease - anyone got it

Anyone have this on here?

Sounds bad but it isn't very hectic for those that don't know what it is.
    Perthes Disease is a disease that affects the hip bone where it meets the pelvis. This disease, is seen in children, usually between the ages of five and ten. Boys tend to get this disease more frequently than girls, although girls can also develop it.

In this disease, the hip bone deteriorates due to decreased circulation to the top of the bone, called the "femoral head." The hip joint becomes weak, and is not able to handle weight. This results in pain in the child's hip or knee. Occasionally, there will be a limp. To diagnose this disease, your doctor needs to do x-rays of the hip.
    Ive got it on my hip, had it when I was a child, but I haven't had it checked in about 7 years.

Going to get it checked soon I think, wondering if anyone else has it and trains?

I have been doing legs the past couple of years, probably not a good idea, but yeah going to get it checked soon

have a good one...

Steve0

TranscriptionFactor is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, you need some follow up xrays. Do you currently have hip pain?
    If the xrays are not so bad I don't forsee any contraindication to training except avoiding heavy squats and leg presses, maybe deads too. Strengthening the hip girdle by leg lifts and prone leg curls would only help by possibly taking some pressure off the joint.
    Often people with this, aka LCP (Legg-Calve-Perthes) need a hip replacement in their middle age....but if it came to that you could still train pretty much after that, with a few restrictions and precautions to avoid a dislocation.

steveo_r33 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TranscriptionFactor View Post
    Yeah, you need some follow up xrays. Do you currently have hip pain?
    If the xrays are not so bad I don't forsee any contraindication to training except avoiding heavy squats and leg presses, maybe deads too. Strengthening the hip girdle by leg lifts and prone leg curls would only help by possibly taking some pressure off the joint.
    Often people with this, aka LCP (Legg-Calve-Perthes) need a hip replacement in their middle age....but if it came to that you could still train pretty much after that, with a few restrictions and precautions to avoid a dislocation.
    hey mate, haven't had hip pain at all for years, although if i do a legs session at the gym, then the next day when my muscles are sore, I tend to limp a little on purpose just to keep the weight off that side as there is more pressure on my hip area when the surrounding muscles are recovering.

Basically I find I can train legs, but cant do any cardio until my muscles are recovered in my legs (jogging etc).

Yes I will get it checked soon, I am going to be a pilot, a middle age hip replacement is what they told me I may need when I was a youngster, I hope I don't need one :-S I need my feet for the rudder pedals :-D

Did you have the condition?

I should probably get some excercises / stretches from a physio to keep the hip flexors / stabilisers / muscles / (is that what you call them?) strong, to help take weight off the hip area itself?

TranscriptionFactor is offline Associate Member
    Sorry, just saw this post and see you wanted some follow up....so

I would get X-rays and discuss with orthopod prior to any heavy stuff
    You ought to be fine as a pilot. You can do most things with a replaced hip, but have to be careful not to dislocate it by avoiding certain extreme ranges of motion, especially inward rotation and hip flexion.

Don't have it, used to be an orthopedic surgeon resident

Thread Information