Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wow, this sucks

wagner262 is offline New Member

God speed

dang that sucks makes my 6 weeks in a full arm cast not seem so bad, good luck bro on the surgery

on another note good choice on a 64' big block

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    the 502 is in my '79, the '64 has a 327, although I do have a 427 I've considered putting in it. Trouble with the '64 is there is no room for meaty tires and there is no way I would cut it up.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What's the update? You just taking it easy still or did you see the heart doctor yet? Anything scheduled???

How are you feeling? Any miracle cure yet????

wanabeMASSIVE! is offline Senior Member
    Hope u get better soon bro.. i had a injury once..not gud!

Big
    had cardiologist appointment Friday, he put me on 2 different meds and ordered a bunch of tests for day after tomorrow, said he should be able to get me stabilized enough to have the arm surgery Wednesday.

enigma10 is offline Member
    Don't let this stop you man ! recover ! even if it takes awhile ! god speed !!

We will be thinking about you; praying it all goes well and you recover quickly.

Big
    Had several tests yesterday, cardiologist said my heart was too weak and would not authorize today's surgery. I met with him today and explained that according to the orthopedic surgeon, there is a small window of time in which they can save the muscle, so he loaded me up with several medicines and reluctantly agreed to allow surgery for Friday. My blood pressure has been crazy high for the last week, and I've noticed some chest pain when I get stressed and I get tired and winded very easily. He has ordered more tests, but basically said my heart is very weak and barely pumping. He was very matter-of-fact about it, almost comical. He said (in a thick hindu accent) "think of the heart like a car engine that powers you. some engines go for 100,000 miles, some wear out at 50,000. yours wore out at 50,000." I wasn't really sure what to say to that, and couldn't help but wonder if I had health insurance or was wealthy if he would present me with options, but he pretty much left it at that.

6ft5 is offline Member
    Dang BIG, I'm praying for you man. I know a bunch of peeps w a weeker heart and all have made it out good. I'm talken 2 lung biopsies, reconstuctive spine stuff. And more. Hope all goes well!

shortybrolick is offline Associate Member
    stay strong man

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member

upside

At least you are finding this out now and not dropping dead while doing a set...

So the arm injury happened for a reason huh

Big
    thanks for the encouragement guys

Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    At least you are finding this out now and not dropping dead while doing a set...

So the arm injury happened for a reason huh
    ^ that's exactly the way I'm looking at it, everything happens for a reason, had I not torn the bicep no telling when I would have went to a doctor to get checked out.

May I ask if your family has any histroy of heart health issues?

brokendown is offline Junior Member
    Sometimes I don't think the translation from a Docs view point to the patient is very clear ,especially from some foreign docs , and I doubt that he knows your true mental strength.

I do think that sometimes your mental outlook plays a big role in your recovery, even more so when its your heart,try to push any worries you have out of your head( I know you cant completely) dont stress about medical bills ,you can take care of those after your well.

Your just going in for a tune-up, that may improve your health beyond anything you've had before.

jimmy29 is offline New Member
    I haven't been a member on here for long,but it does sadden me to hear of the trouble your having,hopefully you can have a healthy & strong recovery.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Just saw this thread.

Sorry to read it throughout, I wish you a prompt recovery and in my humble and uneducated view you should pay more attention to your heart from now on than to your bicep.

Good Luck

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    May I ask if your family has any histroy of heart health issues?
    yes, my mom had a heart attack at 35 and continues to have health issues, and both of my brothers and my sister (I'm the youngest) have blood pressure issues. My dad has high blood pressure, but his didn't develop till he was in his 60's.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Did you have your surgury yet? How'd it go if so?

IG

Big
    I just got home, had the surgery today, was outpatient but was there for 16 hours. the surgery itself took about 2.5 hours, most of the time was spent with them trying to get bp under control, it went haywire. arm hurts like hell but the surgeon said it went really well and at least as far as the arm goes I can make a full recovery. when I checked in bp was 138/108, they got ready to release me and it was 230/128. they started pumping me full of meds and several hours later it dropped to 131/78. I still have standing appointments with the cardiologist to sort the heart issue, today was about the arm. while I was laying there they brought in an older man, I'd guess 60's, overweight but in good spirits. he had slipped with a chainsaw and tore into his leg. they had tried to save it to no avail, so today they amputated it above the knee. he was in the bed next to me, he was an amazing guy. his spirits were so high and his attitude was so good it was a blessing to meet him. he said that God never gives anyone more than they can handle, so once he gets a plate full of pork chops he'll be fine. even in pain I had to chuckle.

Wow those are some high BP numbers.

I take cayenne pepper for BP, it works better then any supps I have seen and it works fast....but I guess they have you on some meds fulltime now.

Good luck with the cardiologist.

cobra305 is offline Member
    Good to hear everything went well with the surgery best of luck with your recovery.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff Big.. its funny how life puts things into perspective sometimes isn't it? Its usually right on time too. Glad to hear the sugury went well and hopefully you can easily get that bp under control. All the best brutha.

IG

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Glad all went well bro, now rest and get mended....
    Do not ask me for a source check.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Hope recovery is fast and chill out lets get that BP down

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    Hope you have a speedy and full recovery brotha!

Oh damn... I wish you speedy recovery Big.

cybernox is offline Associate Member
    It could have been worse during the workout. Like Terraj said everything happens for a reason.

If it wasn't injury .. your heart + BP could have done more damage. With this injury you got to know about the weak heart + BP stuff. Maybe God got you injured to make sure you care for your major problems ( heart and BP).

As you are already injured and would take 2 to 3 months. I'd suggest you start with Breathing exercises ( Indian style Yoga Breathing exercise or Japanese Style Breathing). Both these will help in aid your heart with Oxygen + make it stronger.

I've seen people thinking Breathing exercise is for old ppl. But In reality its basic of life.

Take care Man. Slow down if needed. But Stay with us.

Big
    my heartrate and bp are still all over the place, I have several tests scheduled for the coming week. If I should drop off the board please keep my family in your prayers for those who believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    my heartrate and bp are still all over the place, I have several tests scheduled for the coming week. If I should drop off the board please keep my family in your prayers for those who believe.
    We all are with you. And you aint going anywhere. You are strong enough to make it.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good luck with your recovery,take care of yourself!

Big
    I got my splint off now, wow my left arm is tiny compared to my right. I was shocked to see how much size I've lost in a few weeks. Thank God for muscle memory, I'll need it.

Yes it's scarry how fast the muscle shrinks due to inactivity. I know before my back surgery my legs went from ALWAYS being good genetically even without working them to chicken legs in 2 weeks due to not walking.
    My calves where GONE...

DAMN about the guy with the chainsaw. I wonder if his spirits where high due to the morphine? I cant imagine being OK with that. I use to cut wood for several years, walking up/down logs, log piles 15 ft high, had logs roll out from under me or spring up while I was standing on them cutting.
    I still count my blessing but I was ALWAYS very aware of the sharp end and ready to toss it at any given time due to slipping or??? I had seen enough gore movies I did not want to get cut like that.

I hope your recovery is quick. Keep us posted. What are you pain meds? Mine have always been vicodine after surgery.

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    What are you pain meds? Mine have always been vicodine after surgery.
    they started me on lortab 10's which didn't touch it, then gave me percocet. for the first 3 days after surgery the pain got worse and worse every day, hurting as much as I could imagine then being worse the next day. after the third day, it started hurting drastically less each day, now it's 8 days after surgery and I'm only taking ibuprofen 800mg every 4-6 hours. the pain is maybe 2 out of a scale of 10 unless I move the wrong way, very tolerable.

Good to hear. Yes usually the 2nd - 3rd day is worst and then the same for a couple days.

How about more details on the surgery? What did the doc say? How did it look inside? More or less than he had expected? Did he go into details on the repair?

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Good to hear. Yes usually the 2nd - 3rd day is worst and then the same for a couple days.

How about more details on the surgery? What did the doc say? How did it look inside? More or less than he had expected? Did he go into details on the repair?
    she said it went fine and in around 3 months I can start lifting very light, like a few lbs, and said if I don't overdo it during recovery in about a year I can start training normally and make a full recovery.

That's sucks but it's also good to hear. God I would hate a setback like that but at the same time it could have been worse/permanent.

The doctors still want to cut on my back (fusion) and my shoulder to clean it up but I am going to put it off as long as possible.

The shoulder keeps me from lifting HEAVY but that's all. If I lift to heavy like a couple weeks ago it hurts like hell so I have to be careful. I think it only slows down my gaining a little, I just cant do any Max weights to push further, only a little at a time. If I lift anything that i can do say only 4x Im done for 2 weeks almost.

Did they say how much was separated? How many stitches or??? Did they comment on HOW is might have happened or why?

Big
    the surgeon said that although it's impossible to tell, it's possible that the last time I lifted heavy I caused a micro tear that I didn't even know about. she compared it to trying to tear a piece of cloth, then taking scissors and putting a small cut at the edge then trying to tear it again. the last time I hit bi's I finished with hammer curls with 75's to failure. I don't remember any pain at the time, but it does seem like my left arm was sore a day or so longer than the right. it wasn't an injury pain, it was like the pain you get after a good workout so I never thought anything of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    the surgeon said that although it's impossible to tell, it's possible that the last time I lifted heavy I caused a micro tear that I didn't even know about. she compared it to trying to tear a piece of cloth, then taking scissors and putting a small cut at the edge then trying to tear it again. the last time I hit bi's I finished with hammer curls with 75's to failure. I don't remember any pain at the time, but it does seem like my left arm was sore a day or so longer than the right. it wasn't an injury pain, it was like the pain you get after a good workout so I never thought anything of it.
    I guess she is right about that. I remember one of my friend's chest busted on heavy workout and we had to rush him to hospital. But his was due to improper workout.

But the cut theory by your doc does explains the issue. That's why lifting that 20 pound thing got your muscle teared.

c-Z
    c-Z is offline Educate B4 You Medicate (RIP T)
    Sucks getting old. LOL.... Rest it up brother. Good luck man

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Sorry to hear about this man. good luck with everything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information