Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wow, this sucks

G4R
    G4R is offline Anabolic Voice of Reason
    I was going to call ya Big, but I figured I would give you some rest. I forgot to ask you the other night when I talked to you, how badly did this affect your work schedule? Did you have any sick days, or did you use some vacation?

DCannon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just reading about this now. Real sorry to hear about all this Big. Take it easy, recovery will be slow but it will get back to normal before you know it.

I actually tore my tricep tendon off my elbow and my quad tendon off my knee in the same week. Recovery sucked being in a brace on my arm and leg at the same time. I was back in the gym in 3 months though, using real light weights.

Good luck with your recovery, take it easy and get some rest.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by going4ripped View Post
    I was going to call ya Big, but I figured I would give you some rest. I forgot to ask you the other night when I talked to you, how badly did this affect your work schedule? Did you have any sick days, or did you use some vacation?
    call any time J, I find myself sleeping odd hours, I catch a few z's whenever my arm allows, just leave a message if I miss the call. I'm not working right now anyway, took a layoff waiting for a series of grants to come through. I had enough cash set aside to live comfortably for a year or so before I have to drag myself back to work, so I have time to recover.

Apanda is offline Junior Member
    I'm new here but sorry to hear about this. I have been reading alot of the "newbie" stickies and found alot of useful information from you.

Good luck with the heart and bp issues and hope for a speedy recovery.

Side noteid you ever take PWO's that had caffeine or stims? How did you usually react to them? With a BP over 200...wow.

Big
    my bp only recently started running high, within the last year I'd say. At my last full physical I was normal. It's way down now, today it measure 102 over 62.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Well it's been a few more days, how goes the recovery? Is it feeling any better? Letting you sleep more comfortably?

I hope the recovery is going per scheduled or better.

Big
    as of yesterday I'm able to straighten my left arm out fully, and the pain is better. my wrist still feels like it has a bad sprain, I'm not sure what's up with that since they didn't even do anything to the wrist, but I bought a wrist brace that I wear while I'm sleeping and it helps. today I gently flexed my left bicep just to see how it feels and it wasn't bad. I used a can of soda for weight and did some curls and side and front shoulder raises just to work on the range of motion and get some blood to the muscles, and it felt good. I know it sounds silly to be lifting a can of soda, but I have to start somewhere. I'm not going to rush things to the point I hurt myself, but I'm not just going to sit on my ass and feel sorry for myself if I can be doing anything in the direction of building back up. today I haven't worn the sling, since I can straighten the arm now I'm letting it hang to the side. I'm starting to use my left arm in moderation, turning door knobs, turning on the faucet, things like that just to get used to using it again.
    my bp being so low makes me feel fatigued and tired all the time, but met with my cardiologist and he wants to keep my doses the same so as to give my heart a bit of a break.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So you still have more tests with the cardiologist?

What has is said so far in regards to your heart? Has he said anything about your training?

Big
    he was going to order a stress test, but upon seeing the blood pressure low just off the meds, he told me to stay on the meds, avoid stress (yeah right) and come back in 3 months. I actually plan to start back on cardio, as far as I'm concerned the heart is a muscle, and if a muscle is weak then you train it. might not be the right answer, but I'm just not the type to not be active. I'll be smart about it, monitor my bp multiple times a day, before and after training, etc, and be more conscious of the little signals I may have overlooked before, but I still plan to train and lead an active life.

Yeah you would think LOW level cardio is going to be a plus.

I am guessing that you were a heavy, low to mid reps guy before?

Maybe the come back has an "easier on the heart" style of training...

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    Yeah you would think LOW level cardio is going to be a plus.

I am guessing that you were a heavy, low to mid reps guy before?

Maybe the come back has an "easier on the heart" style of training...
    yep I was, and I'm thinking the same thing.

Big
    although it's early recovery seemed to be going pretty well, then my forearm started hurting like crazy. it got so bad last night that I couldn't sleep, went in today and got it xrayed and found that the bone in my forearm split long ways, from the holes where they drilled it to about half way to my wrist. waiting for a call back from the surgeon now to find out the next step, my doc that did the xrays thinks the surgeon will have to go back in and put clamp(s) around the bone where it split.

and the hits just keep on coming...

cybernox is offline Associate Member
    Damn. any updates on this ?

Big
    met with the surgeon today, she said that the bone will heal on it's own. called it a "greenstick fracture" or something like that, but the anchors that hold the tendons are still in place so she said it will be ok. guess we'll see.

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    hope its okay must be a real twat for you at the moment, im sufering with my hand at the min, im dreading chest tomorrow as ill have to go real light

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    met with the surgeon today, she said that the bone will heal on it's own. called it a "greenstick fracture" or something like that, but the anchors that hold the tendons are still in place so she said it will be ok. guess we'll see.
    Hmm. if the tendons are in place .. then the bone hasn't suffered that much. But bro, just remember to take precaution. This can leads to serious problem if not taken care of.

brokendown is offline Junior Member
    you should probable use your sling if the doc's still recommend it, a sling is there more to stop you from using your arm , than it is to "hang" it there.

I would guess that you shouldn't even flex your arm , this would apply a lot of pressure on the connections the Doc has made also.

Did they give you any idea on your healing time. Maybe take photos of your arm right be for you get back to the gym,then you can see how much it changes .

@brokendown: I guess you are right. Sling should be used.

Big
    yeah I've gone back to the sling, ace bandage on forearm, and wrist brace. I probably rushed things a bit too much. guess it's time to focus on leg extensions and hamstring curls for a while. loose estimate for healing well enough to lift lightly is 3 months, but I have visits scheduled every 3 weeks indefinitely for now so that figure could change. loose estimate for working out normally again is a year, and of course that too may change.

Damn that sucks Big.... If it's not one thing it's 2 others.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    no insurance right now, I'll be paying payments forever
    come to canada, we'll marry. free health care!

In ALL seriousness - don't lose focus....

it's just so mindblowing that something as simple as lifting a hood which weighs nothing caused it... but at the same time, maybe it was just inevitable and was ready to give?

if it had been while you were lifting heavy, you possibly could have hurt yourself further...could be worse?

maybe take the extra time to hang out with your son?

all the best in your recovery. keep focused....

edit: and at the same time, could continuing testosterone useage increase healing times?

maybe run a cruise during your healing time?

Big
    If it wasn't so cold up there that offer would sound better. I actually went to Canada on vacation when I was around 5 but I don't remember much about it.
    Had I been lifting something heavy it may have been worse but I would have felt better about it lol. I've bumped up my cruise dose a bit to help maintain during down time.

it's 34 degrees outside :P

i cant even be outside. way too warm for me.

what are you running during cruise if you dont mind me asking?

just test? or a bit of GH thrown in? (good for healing??)

Big
    Right now test and GH

G4R
    Right now test and GH
    Dear god man, it is after 3am and you are still awake.... I am going to send you some Horse sedatives.

Big
    I was up till this morning before I got a few hours. When I do rest it isn't sound sleep because the arm wakes me each time I roll over on it. Yesterday I started using my tens unit (electronic muscle stimulation) on my upper arms and shoulders.

G4R
    Believe me, I know whats its like not getting any sleep, and when you do, its only for a couple hours. It wears on you after a while, until you are walking around like a zombie, getting in a bad mood, just staring blankly....... its not fun.

I feel for ya

Quote Originally Posted by G4R View Post
    Believe me, I know whats its like not getting any sleep, and when you do, its only for a couple hours. It wears on you after a while, until you are walking around like a zombie, getting in a bad mood, just staring blankly....... its not fun.

I feel for ya
    Yea. I know this feeling. My habit of working late night till 5 AM or something 7 AM made some life worse. I cant sleep at night at all. Even if I sleep @ 11:00 PM .. I'll automatically wakeup in 1.5 hours.

Last time I had a shoulder injury .. and whenever I tried to sleep ontime ( 10:30 PM) .. all I can sleep was for 30 or 45 mins after which I rolled over to my injured shoulder .. and then I woke up which minor pain again.

I just pray you recovery ASAP.

sean_holland is offline Associate Member
    I been following this thread....your luck is bound to change. Gotta buy a lottery ticket your due for some winnings.

...and Nicotine is right, its hot as balls up here in Edmonton right now. Canada is nice. Cold in the Winter and Hot in the summer. Its like living in a different country every couple months, and my health care is FREE.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Right now test and GH
    How much GH do you use daily?

Big
    right now I'm on 10iu.
    looking good in the avvy by the way

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    right now I'm on 10iu.
    looking good in the avvy by the way
    Do you plan to go higher than that?
    I mean in regard of your injury.

Thanks for the compliment.

Big
    no I was actually running less until the injury, that will be my max dose for a while, can't afford to go higher than that

Egeezy is offline Junior Member
    I put the big block vette on the back burner for now, started tearing the '64 Stingray down for a frame-off, and picked up a Grand-Touring RX8 for my first ricer project. That's what the hood is for.
    I have a 2004 rx8! love my car to death but don't love the gas mileage

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by Egeezy View Post
    I have a 2004 rx8! love my car to death but don't love the gas mileage
    yeah they are such fun little cars, perfect weight distribution and revs like a bike

10iu?!?!?!

up here, 100iu (i think it's that amount) is like $500 for a kit....

i was contemplating 2iu a day, to speed up healing between training and get a bit thicker......

have you talked to your dr about running the GH during healing?

i cant even imagine what your test cruise is at :P

I was up till this morning before I got a few hours. When I do rest it isn't sound sleep because the arm wakes me each time I roll over on it. Yesterday I started using my tens unit (electronic muscle stimulation) on my upper arms and shoulders.
    My ADD kicked in and after reading this post last week I got distracted. LOL

Want to borrow my Tens unit? hehehe I have a unit I bought about 10 years ago to play with. It has 4 pads/separate dials and is STRONG. I have never gotten up past 7. I LOCKED my biceps at 7 one time and they hurt for a week. LOL

I keep thinking I need to hook it up and play with it sometime. I used one at the physical therapy 3 years ago after my back surgery and I would always max that one out no problem. It was the big floor PT type but mine is stronger.

So,
    what's the update? I am impressed every day when I see you online still fighting the trolls one armed and giving the advice to all who ask.

I stay out of the Q&A for over a week due to frustration and after going back the first post I read I just have to shake my head... It never changes.

Big
    my tens unit isn't very strong, it's a cheap one I bought off ebay a few years ago. the pain is bearable, sleep is really the hardest part because I typically roll from one side to the other a few times through the night and there is no way I can lay on the arm yet. I sometimes forget and grab the covers with the left hand and it wakes me straight up. that's why I'm on at such crazy hours these days, I stay awake until I'm exhausted enough to pass out for a while. I've been doing concentrated flexing on my pecs, lats, and traps, and been doing leg extensions, otherwise I'm just being lazy.

Dude I would never say you are lazy, you are on here WAY to much and still putting up with TO much crap from kids/newbies. With your pain and all I dont know how you do it. You must be very patient; even though I know your wife/kids would disagree sometimes LOL

I know before my back surgery the only way I could sleep was taking vicodine and Valium at the same time. OK it was 2 750 vic and one Valium. LOL

This is pretty much what my unit is; brief case included LOL
    http://www.bodyshapers.com/htm/bm1008bi.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information