chris66 is offline New Member

Shoulder rehab/Home workout routine + diet

So a little background before i start.. I started lifting seriously, that is not just flinging weights at the gym and calling it a workout, in September of 08 and went steady until Aug 09 til i hurt my bicep throwing a garbage piece of sod at work. I never went to see a doctor for proper treatment, and ended up taking 2 months off lifting because of it. I started back up in Oct 09 and felt weak in my right arm, so i did my workouts using db's not bb's so my left wouldn't be taking over. It helped for a couple months until i started feeling a pain in my shoulder. The pain got progressively worse as i kept working out, and finally in mid feb 2010 I again had to stop working out as it wasn't so much the pain i couldn't take, but it was as if I had a complete loss of strength in my right arm. My last routine I was doing tricep extensions on the pulley, and with starting weight i could not complete 4 reps, where as my left I had done 12 like cake.

I started doing some research and found that when i hurt my bicep and did not repair it, the damage could spread up to your shoulder joint and cause damage there. I layed off the weights for another couple months and when I tried to come back the same thing was happening, and so I have been off again since april just trying to let the shoulder heal.

It's been enough time now, and so I've started training/rehab with a goal of being back in the gym lifting by Oct 13. I set up a 9 week program(as of Aug 11) to get myself and my shoulder back fit for the gym, started a fresh diet to get back in routine, and now want to hear some opinions on what I have layed out.

Currently age: 20 5'10 @ 160lbs 11-12% BF

3 days/week of resistant band shoulder rehab that consists of 4 sets of different rotations, starting with 2x10 and progressively adding reps. My goal is to add resistance every 3 weeks and start back at 2x10 while monitoring the shoulder.

The home workout routine to get back into gym shape consists of
    3days/week (sometimes days overlap with shoulder workout, so far so good)
    10min warmup
    4x14 pushups
    4x14 crunches
    4x14 squats
    4xXX pull ups
    While doing the routine i start out running on the spot for 1min, and after each set i get up and run on spot for 1min til the next workout, no breaks until all 4 sets of each complete. Adjusting reps progessively.

3 x 2minute rounds of shadow boxing with 1 minute break upping time progressively
    5 minute cooldown

My diet is
    2536 calories
    1262 cals pro/fat
    1264 cals carb

Im not going to go through all the details of it as I'm just trying to maintain weight with it, which I've been doing the past 2 weeks. I will say though that it is a clean diet with all cal's coming from clean sources/ 2 whey shakes a day. Once I'm back in the gym my goal is to hit and maintain 175 @ 9% BF, and when the time comes near I will post up a routine and diet that I will be following. Til then I will keep this updated with results and look forward to hearing suggestions!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good to hear it's working for you. Keep it up and keep posting results.

I've been doing the shoulder rotations with a band in that was posted in the one thread "WILL CURE ALL SHOULDER PROBLEMS" or whatever and i must say although I havent been lifting yet it does feel like it is helping after about a week and a half(5 sessions) of doing it. I started needing to do the 50 reps in about 3.5 sets, and im down now to about 2.5. I'm not feeling any pain from it, my shoudler was just getting very fatigued. Going to continue for another 3 weeks and see where i am at that point(6 weeks total of rehab).

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have been using the band off and on for several months. Not nearly as much as I should but even 2x a week has made a big difference for me. it's this exercise one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNilld58tks&feature=fvw

I post it all the time here after seeing it.

Yup that's the one. After 2 weeks, when doing the movement of a overhead shoulder press my right shoulder feels like it has a fluid, smooth movement. I literally cannot believe how much it has done for me in so little time. If all goes/feels well I'll be looking to get into the gym after 8 weeks rather then 9. Still have a ways to go.

Thread Information