musclestack is offline Productive Member

what's up with my shoulder?

About a month ago, during my shoulder workout, I was doing laterals (I think that's what they're called........standing up, with dumbells, raising one straight arm at a time in front of me). I think I just had too much weight and came up too fast. Anyways, I had a really bad 'pinch' feeling in my right shoulder (top, outer section). It has been bothering me ever since whenever I do military press or bench. It's strange though; it only hurts when it's still 'cold'. After the first set or two when it gets warmed up, it more or less goes away and I don't feel any more pain. Once I get home from the gym, and it's 'cold' again, I can feel the pain come back a bit. It's not like it hurts all the time; only when lifting, especially mil. press and bench. Any clue as to what happened? Did I tear something? May schedule a doctor's appt, but wanted to hear what you guys think first.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    can be one of a load of things, shoulders are a complex joint. i no longer do delt raises as i buggered up my rotators with them, you need to keep them light and perfect form.
    becareful, it will warn you now and again then one day, boom!! i havent been able o lift in comfort for 6mths now because of this. drop the raises and lighten your presses till you're sure its healed

Anaval is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    About a month ago, during my shoulder workout, I was doing laterals (I think that's what they're called........standing up, with dumbells, raising one straight arm at a time in front of me). I think I just had too much weight and came up too fast. Anyways, I had a really bad 'pinch' feeling in my right shoulder (top, outer section). It has been bothering me ever since whenever I do military press or bench. It's strange though; it only hurts when it's still 'cold'. After the first set or two when it gets warmed up, it more or less goes away and I don't feel any more pain. Once I get home from the gym, and it's 'cold' again, I can feel the pain come back a bit. It's not like it hurts all the time; only when lifting, especially mil. press and bench. Any clue as to what happened? Did I tear something? May schedule a doctor's appt, but wanted to hear what you guys think first.
    Sounds like a classic case of supraspinatus/infraspinatus impingement. dec is right. Be careful. Look up the Hawkins-Kennedy Test...

KeyMastur is offline VET
    (btw, lateral is sideways. you were doing front deltoid raises)

Cloe85 is offline Female Member
    Im with Abbot... go see a orthopedic dr and let him tell you what is or isnt wrong. Go for a few tests. Its better to have it checked out now and if there is a problem have it fixed, rather than wait and whatever it is, ends up being a permenant injury.

Thread Information