Thread: Hernia?

bob87 is offline Member

Hernia?

Just did legs followed by abs, just finished my second set of cable crunches as was setting up for medicine ball decline crunches when I thought I felt something push threw my ab wall it sort of twitched twice I stood up pushing at my ab and it stopped...

Freaked me out thinking I had a hernia....

Got back to me room and can feel a lil discomfort in that spot but nothing major.

Then my calves started cramping up so I am asking myself maybe it was just the muscle cramping???

I tried a couple of crunches on my bed and nothing happened no pain

Any opinions would be awesome input please

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    probably a cramp, wait and see what happens over a day or two, or next time you train. Two main questions relating to possible lower hernias, one are you having difficulty moving your bowls, two are you experiencing fever like symptoms?(throwing up, fever, sweating, etc...) if yes to any of theses two questions report to your immediate ER. Otherwise wait until you train next time and access the area as you train slowly.
    Or put your hand on area and "act" like your making a bowl movement, and tighten your lower abs and feel for any growing "balloon" like inflation's.

bob87 is offline Member
    Cheers for your response.

I tried the coughing and pressing on the area as well pushing like I'm trying to move my bowels all feels symmetrical both sides which is good

No fever no sweating nothing like that.

Hope it was only a cramp.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    have had ab wall hernias including several surgeries to repair them (lol what a joke) anyway if you start to feel like certain movements trigger the pop out feeling, touch the area with your hand and see if you can feel anything than keeping your hand on the area lay on your back to see if it seems to disappear ~ if so, hernia my friend :/

tell your doc but i wouldnt recomend any surgery unless it starts to seriously interfare with your life, once you have surgery it weakens your abs even more and you get prone to mire hernias (wish someone told me that years ago)

Blog Entries
    Oh yea you may feel something when u pass gas.....sux

bob87 is offline Member
    So have been training consistently since with no problems but always felt like there was a weakness in my abs.

Anyways training last night bug chest and bi's followed by what was suppose to be a light abs. Second set of abs felt the same slight pushing bulging on my ab wall. Went away straight away so I shrugged it off.

Went on to my next set and bang it really popped out took me a few seconds to push it back in had to stand up tall to get it to go.

Stopped training headed to the on site doc ASAP (I work on the mines) he told me there is no sign of herniation and that where I'm experiencing it seems low for a hernia

About 1-2 inches to the right of my belly button almost level with it.....

Help???? Anyone experienced this

He did say I need to go get a scan to help determine what it is.

Blog Entries
    K, I am above and underground certified Ironworker, the "doc" works for the mine and probably doesn't want you calming on the job injury. Like I said in less you are throwing up or can't pass your bowls than it is considered non-life threatening and surgery is optional. You have to see your primary physician and make sure you fill out an injury report so u can get paid(workmans comp) if u elect to have surgery. Tell the doctor its bothering you to preform your job duties, or you can wait until all your intestines spill into your thigh and have no choice.

bob87 is offline Member
    Pretty sure you can't claim workers comp for an injury sustained in the gym after work hours I don't work directly for the mine company directly I'm sub contracted and so are the medics so no reason the doc would shrug it off to avoid workers comp which as I stated I can't claim. Fly home Friday will be seeing my doc then to organize scans and all that....

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    i had each of my hernia surgeries done under different med insurances lol, fallon/ blue cross/ cigna / ...with no problems getting into internal med Dr. for visit & corrected, just stated the pain and how it effected my life (had to avoid certain types trainings/activity etc) although this new hernia the Dr could not feel even though I was adimit that I had a new one and it hurt just like a hernia...so he orderd a scan (he prob though i was just paranoid at this point lol) and SURPRISE i have a hernia just above the mesh that was installed to correct my last hernia lol ~awesome

best of luck bob...hope its not a hernia, and is something that will go away on its own soon for you

bob87 is offline Member
    Doc hound it it's the tendon that holds the abs together it's right where my belly button is that's the weak spot

Surgery Is optional and he said try live with it first.

If I have surgery no lifting for 6 weeks

bob87 is offline Member
    My wording may be a little off

Quote Originally Posted by bob87 View Post
    Doc hound it it's the tendon that holds the abs together it's right where my belly button is that's the weak spot

Surgery Is optional and he said try live with it first.

If I have surgery no lifting for 6 weeks
    if it was me and it was my first hernia that was found... i would never have had the surgery knowing what i know now.
    best of luck to you bob what ever you choose to do ((hugs))

< <Samson> > is online now Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    What can you do after you found this? Does it heal? Or do just try not to aggravate it?

bob87 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samson_420
    What can you do after you found this? Does it heal? Or do just try not to aggravate it?
    It will never heal as far as I know I can try and avoid exercises that aggravate it.

Surgery is the only way to try fix it but from what I hear there is a high failure rate....

It happened training abs so I've stopped training them altogether for now....

Dropped deadlifts for now.
    Haven't trained legs since
    Been wearing my belt for everything hasn't bothered me really although there is a constant pain where my belly button is.

< <Samson> > is online now Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bob87 View Post
    It will never heal as far as I know I can try and avoid exercises that aggravate it.

Surgery is the only way to try fix it but from what I hear there is a high failure rate....

It happened training abs so I've stopped training them altogether for now....

Dropped deadlifts for now.
    Haven't trained legs since
    Been wearing my belt for everything hasn't bothered me really although there is a constant pain where my belly button is.
    Oh no, that totally sucks ass.

Not life threatening, but damn that sucks.

Thread Information