Thread: epidural

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

epidural

Any one ever had an epidural for a neck injury
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What's the injury requiring an epidural?

Brick is offline Member
    I thought they use it for numbing below the injection site. If it goes up you can lose control of your breathing. If it was for a neck injury it would have to be quite high, C2 or C3, thus numbing all the way down. Wouldn't local anesthetic be more applicable?

(I am not a doctor nor do I have experience on the matter. This is just my understanding of 'epidural')

LT75 is offline Associate Member
    Had it used for my lower back to inject cortisone. Also had it done to put a nerve block in before my knee and shoulder surgeries. It went into the hip for the knee and in the neck for the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    What's the injury requiring an epidural?
    herniated disc in my neck. So they want to do cortisone injection in the spine

LT75 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    herniated disc in my neck. So they want to do cortisone injection in the spine
    Had the same procedure done. Not a big deal honestly. Crappy thing is, it didn't help me. I do know a lot of people that have had it done with success and go every year to get it.

My buddy had one several months ago but it was in his middle back. He says it's been a damn miracle for him.....He was at the point where he couldn't train and they were talking about fusing his spine together b/c his disc was completely ruptured and causing him really bad nerve pain. He's not stupid about his training and avoids deadlifts and other exercises that would cause bad problems but he's been pain free ever since he had it done.

Btw, that needle is fvcking scary, don't look at it before they stick it in you lol

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    My mother is about to have it done. She has a few friends that get it done every six months. I was surprised to hear that it takes away the pain for so long.

optionsdude is offline Member
    Gixxer just be careful if the nerve is pinched bad and it wears through the outer lining of the nerve the damage can be irreversible. I had a successful disc replacement at c5-c6 and fusion at c7-t1 over 2 years ago and doing great. I'm not suggesting you run out and have surgery but be careful about trying to just mask the pain. The newer nerve blocking meds (pills) work good,neurontin and lyrica. However, neurontin gave me serious depression related issues but lyrica helped without the depression side effects. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    My buddy had one several months ago but it was in his middle back. He says it's been a damn miracle for him.....He was at the point where he couldn't train and they were talking about fusing his spine together b/c his disc was completely ruptured and causing him really bad nerve pain. He's not stupid about his training and avoids deadlifts and other exercises that would cause bad problems but he's been pain free ever since he had it done.

Btw, that needle is fvcking scary, don't look at it before they stick it in you lol
    great now im picturing them stabbing me with a slurpee straw

He said it was bigger than the needle John Travolta uses when that chic OD's on heroine in pulp fiction

snowman is offline Senior Member
    I had it done, but in my lower back.... got to tell you bro, dont look at the needle, i could not believe the size of that sucker, i actually left the first time, but close to a year later the pain got worst, so i had no choice but to get it done, this time i kept picturing in my mind a small needle ( no it did not help)... the injections is painful, but only lasts a couple of seconds, and you will feel the area of the injection really cold ( at least i did ), but it was all worth it, pain went away as soon as i left, and lasted close to 8 months without pain.... now i ratter do that, then go under the knife IF i have a choice, im afraid IF i do surgery, i get worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman
    He said it was bigger than the needle John Travolta uses when that chic OD's on heroine in pulp fiction
    Fark. How can i not look now

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a fairly painful neck injury while serving in the military. coming back from deployment, in a "cattle car" with the rest of my platoon, doors open, next to the open door, M16 by my side, smoking, and the damn cattle car, on the freeway, hit a bump, and my freaking m16 goes tumbling out the door, and onto the freeway. So i go jumping out after it at 60 miles an hour. Full field pack, steel pot, everything. Tell you the rest of the funny story sometime. bottom line is two things:

1) recovered my M16 so no disciplinary action
    2) hurt my freaking neck. was totally ffrozen for almost a week.

hurts me to this day. never took anything for it. but it's affected me for 30 years.

had it this morning. It was painless, just felt weird when they actually injected the fluid. Hopefully it works

Thread Information