Thread: disc surgery

langston07 is offline New Member

disc surgery

After 2 years of major pain and fighting with military doctors,physical therapy, chiropractor,cortizone shots and nerve blocks the doc finally listened to my damn bitching and will be getting surgery June 12th to shave down these three herniated discs hopefully relieving this sciatica through my leg...can't wait till after I'm fully recovered and hope to be back in good shape and on deployment again by the end of the year ...future I hope is looking bright and no more Debbie downer here!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good luck. Both of my surgeries were great. I felt SO much better immediately after each one. I went several years of doing the same as you until I could not walk or stand for more than 10 minutes at a time and after surgery I could walk and stand as long as I wanted with with only a little discomfort.

2nd surgery was for ruptured disk L5/S1 where I was 95% paralyzed from the waist down for 2 weeks until after surgery. Good time.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks lovebyts..I believe you commented on my other post about my problem a few months back..even though I know ill be in sum major pain at the surgery area I atleast can say the few weeks of free leave away from 3 years of 14Nights shifts will be a great stress reliever ...never had surgery broken plenty of bones but
    this is wild my first surgery will be on My spine but looking forward to this last resort of feeling better. Let you know how it goesand will be posting a month or two after on how I feel and questions on getting my fitness back in check...maybe doing it the wrong way but going to be restricting calories while laying around recovering to lose a good amount of weight..I don't believe in fad diets a d meal repla***ents but my friend is giving me four months free body by. VI shakes so taking g advantige of that

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No you should not be in any great amount of pain after the surgery even without pain meds. I took zero pain meds for the 1st 3 days because I didnt want to do anything to screw it up. All I did was walk around as much as possible and be careful about bending but DONT just sit around doing nothing. Walk as much as possible.

I never had any pain after either surgery, only some minor soreness, irritation but nothing I would call pain. If you have actual pain then something is not right IMO

Remember to use ice right away after surgery, NO heat. Using heat will cause pain, you don't want inflammation, you want to keep the swelling down. Use ice at least 3x a day and 20 min on, 20 min off 3 or 4 times in a row for the first 3 days or more.

Thanks for the help lovebyts ..ya all through high-school hockey I used ice never once heat as I did feel worse after during a injury ...if I "baby" myback andtake care of myself post surgery what's the lenght of time I'm looking at before going back in the gym...high reps low written of course

Low weights*

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    best of luck

my L5/S1 is ****ed atm. getting pain down left leg. cant stand longer than 40 mins max and thats on a good day

urs is a lot worse. so i really feel for ya mate

itsjayman02 is offline Member
    My L5 disc prolapsed S1 nerve nerve root can take up to 7 years to fully heal if ever.Some symptoms like pins and needles may stay with you down the bottom of your leg but it's nothing compared to the pain of a prolapsed disc which is your disc swelling and to a degree bursting.Refrain from sitting for the first 3 or 4 weeks either stand or lie down.M y first operation was a success but a follow up for pain relief was performed without success two years later.I am now over 10 years down the line and can train like I used to without the squatting which is a no no if you require any info stroke advice regarding this back problem and pain I will give you advice which I'm sure will help!!

Depending how well surgery goes and to what degree your disc is pinning your nerve root recovery is slow and long but 6 months is a base to start rehab!!

Well its been three months since surgery. L4-L5 L5-S1 was worked on but seeing they waited two hears the sciatic nerve was completely collapsed..had a nerve block last week to no avail .just been swimming and biking the last month to lose weight haven't touched a weight in over four months....pain is decreased but still in pain n the sex problems are still there if you get what I mean

After 3 months and back training light is a good base for recovery just remember though your back is the centre of your core and progress will be slow because of that.

Set small goals over the first year but most importantly keep your back warm during the cold months.......daily stretches warm up and down each day........ Do not sit down for long periods.....set your alarm a few minutes earlier of a morning to get your back moving before you need to do anything like work.....or even sex.

IMO during the early hours is best due to the fact your rested from the previous day and your muscles will be warm and relaxed.

Don't lie back and think of England as such but it will restrict your movement but also strengthen your lower back use it as a little workout haha!!

If you experience cramps in your legs try quinin
    For the pain try remedene 40.

Some symptoms can be eased others I'm afraid you may have to live with......your nerves which run down your leg can take up to 7 years to heal if ever!!

Thread Information