ickythump is offline Member

can't raise arm toward front of/across body

Hi all, i can't raise my arm up to form a right angle with my body, if that makes sense. I can raise it laterally in multiple ways, but the closer to straight forward the worse, however, it's mostly with my palm facing down (i need to reach I'm front of he often at work so it's a major issue) The pain is mostly non existent with my palm facing upward, any ideas please let me know/tell me to describe it better and I'll try! Thanks!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    Hi all, i can't raise my arm up to form a right angle with my body, if that makes sense. I can raise it laterally in multiple ways, but the closer to straight forward the worse, however, it's mostly with my palm facing down (i need to reach I'm front of he often at work so it's a major issue) The pain is mostly non existent with my palm facing upward, any ideas please let me know/tell me to describe it better and I'll try! Thanks!
    Ok trying to picture. If you lhold your arm at 90 degress along side of you hand facing down how high can you rotate your hand upwards ..not straightening arm?

To the side you mean? Sorry I'm confused (explaining pain via internet is hard) a good example would be to say if i was standing in front of a door with a shoulder level knob and tried to raise my hand to grab it that's when pain in like, upper to rear just out of mid shoulder area, gets bad.....i also can't fold my arms together i just discovered...

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like rotator cuff injury to me. The words I say next could effect the course of your life. I had a serious rotator cuff injury at 17 which I reinjured in my twenties and again recently. The pain is so bad it keeps me up at night. It has started to get a little bit better a few months now after my last reinjuring of it. I have been rehabbing it with exercises. You can look these up they are all over youtube and google. If this is a recent event I would stop lifting weights for at least a month and then go into a rehab routine. If you need me to paste videos I can I just see this over and over and we should really make a sticky thread for it.

Damn that sounds serious...from what I've read i think that may not be it, but, if it doesn't go away after some time off I'll be at the dr's

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I was waiting for Jimmyinked to get back to you but he may be elsewhere. Anyhow agree with Cherrydrpepper its some form of a rotator cuff injury. These usually involve a tear to the supraspinatus muscle. In your case hopefully the tear is partial and can be rehabbed with phys ther. As said take time off as reinjury is sure to occur with any heavy lifting and will stop healing. Look at arm bands and the exercises that you see to build up the other muscles surrounding the supraspinatus, this will take pressure off the supra and eventually allow it to heal.

If and when you shoulder is getting better remember the shoulder is a very unique joint in that the joint is totally supported by muscles and these muscles need to be thoroughly warmed and oxigenated prior to any heavy usage, this is almost always the cause in non trauma injury. Any time I am doing shoulder work I will spend 10-15 minutes warming the shoulders with wieghts that the 70 yr old ladies handle...I could care less if the kids laugh.

Blog Entries
    IMP rotator cuff as wll. they occur at whats referred to as 9 / 12 / and 3 oclock. if the pain is n rr its prob a tear at o clock. Its really hato say...but i will say this. Dont mess around ..because they dont heal well on their own IF they need sugery.

losieloos is offline Associate Member
    Go to a doc asap

Guys, thank you all for your input, much appreciated....I'll be taking this advice with me to the dr lol

Blog Entries
    A doctor is going to be hit or miss imo. The best thing they are going to do is sit you down and say its f-d you need surgery or do exercises to strengthen it up after doing tests and xrays and whatnot. You will need to take the reins yourself to a degree. If it needs rehab unless you play for the Florida Gators or you have the best insurance on the planet it can be difficult to get the care you need. You will need to do a lot of digging and research.

My step brother is in school for sports medicine, he'll have a look-see when he's in town to maybe provide some insight.....update: no pain today but a bit sore but i hammered chest....i think stupid wide grip dips did it imo, i never do them don't know why i did yesterday

Blog Entries
    an mri should be pretty conclusive ......

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like another candidate for TB500 therapy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Sounds like another candidate for TB500 therapy?
    I def agree ....

canesfan804 is offline Member
    I had a simular injury last oct-nov. It hurt so bad I could not sleep at night. Sometimes would wake and the thing would be numb and I wouldnt even be laying on it. I had to use my opposite arm to cut a light switch on. Luckily the guys I worked with carried the load for a coup weeks while it got good enough to work with. Advil helped some. It still bothers me a year later but definately alot better. I didnt go to doc but pretty sure it was rotator injury. I would def take a few weeks off and get those rehabs in. A few weeks wont hurt as bad as a major injury.

Blog Entries
    Agree with resting the injury, but hell even Dorian Yates does exercises that strengthen the rotator cuff and muscles around it. Its that part of bodybuilding that should be out in the open but isn't talked about enough.

Heres an article on Schwarzenegger and Stallone having shoulder surgery (both of them) this year. I'm assuming its rotator cuff related.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...gery-together/

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    here's a link to the TB500 journal, if anyone's interested....
    (it promotes healing)

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...n-s-TB-500-log...........

I read the whole thread, very interested now, continuing my research! Thanks TR, maybe it'll be "what the dr should have ordered" for me

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    an mri should be pretty conclusive ......
    Make that an MRI with contrast dye....

Thread Information