Thread: Sternum Injury

AASnOOb is offline New Member
    this happened the first time about 8months ago when i tried to do dips on very wide bars, whether or not this caused it or just added the finishing touch but it felt like my sternum cracked bottom to top.

i went to the physio to get it looked at and he diagnosed as some sort of tear where my pecs tie into my sternal cartilage..

i took a break and got back to serious lifting again and its retriggered it. im here to ask you veteran lifters if youve experienced it... i believe its from decline bench/dips?

when i did it previously, i could just be lying on my side and when i got up, the pressure being released off it would cause a shuttering feel.

do i just need to man up?

thank you in advance.
    Last edited by AASnOOb; 11-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.

jseek is offline Junior Member
    Pain? Or just a shuddering feeling?
    Weakness at all?
    Notice only problems in front of chest, or also pain or stiffness in ur back area?
    Pain or stiffness or sensation with breathing?
    How old are you (younger-more flexible cartilage)
    Just trying to get more info...but without it, you probably loosened/shifted/popped 1 or a bunch of ur anterior rib heads from their normal position in the sort cartilage on 1 or both sides of the sternum.
    If left unstressed (ie over stretched) it will retighten... Just train without causing the sensation
    If it was more muscular tearing ...it's usually graded from 1-4...slight to torn off. The bleeding pain loss of movement and obvious defect are giveaways...but I doubt this as u didn't mention it

Quote Originally Posted by jseek
    Pain? Or just a shuddering feeling?
    Weakness at all?
    Notice only problems in front of chest, or also pain or stiffness in ur back area?
    Pain or stiffness or sensation with breathing?
    How old are you (younger-more flexible cartilage)
    Just trying to get more info...but without it, you probably loosened/shifted/popped 1 or a bunch of ur anterior rib heads from their normal position in the sort cartilage on 1 or both sides of the sternum.
    If left unstressed (ie over stretched) it will retighten... Just train without causing the sensation
    If it was more muscular tearing ...it's usually graded from 1-4...slight to torn off. The bleeding pain loss of movement and obvious defect are giveaways...but I doubt this as u didn't mention it
    massive weakness, went from benching 110kg to 60kg in the space of a week. as for breathing yes, if i took deep breaths it would put pressure on the site and cause discomfort. im 21

thank you.

Okay. Sounds more like rib than muscular... Anything that messes up chest wall...especially front chest causes dramatic weakness. And yes, ur pecs pull hard on the ribs / sternum anterniorly so it can be both involved... But it sounds like ribs in front got depressed....which means i'd recommend manipulation or posterior rib and thoracic spine by qualified physical therapist or chiro or do....to get rid of the cause, and limit problems in future. The front rib cartilage is soft and mobile. One you have stretched them, it will stiffen after a while if you don't do the same thing again....but best recovery is to make sure the back is moving properly ...
    As in...thoracic spine at one level has disk, facet joint, 2-3 rib (bony) joints...all per level (or so) compared to one anterior cartilage rib attachment. And yes your sternum can move rough rib 3-4 level......
    And then slowly progress lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by jseek
    Okay. Sounds more like rib than muscular... Anything that messes up chest wall...especially front chest causes dramatic weakness. And yes, ur pecs pull hard on the ribs / sternum anterniorly so it can be both involved... But it sounds like ribs in front got depressed....which means i'd recommend manipulation or posterior rib and thoracic spine by qualified physical therapist or chiro or do....to get rid of the cause, and limit problems in future. The front rib cartilage is soft and mobile. One you have stretched them, it will stiffen after a while if you don't do the same thing again....but best recovery is to make sure the back is moving properly ...
    As in...thoracic spine at one level has disk, facet joint, 2-3 rib (bony) joints...all per level (or so) compared to one anterior cartilage rib attachment. And yes your sternum can move rough rib 3-4 level......
    And then slowly progress lifting.
    thank you so much for your advice! i'll book in with the chiro and get it sorted.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AASnOOb View Post
    this happened the first time about 8months ago when i tried to do dips on very wide bars, whether or not this caused it or just added the finishing touch but it felt like my sternum cracked bottom to top.

i went to the physio to get it looked at and he diagnosed as some sort of tear where my pecs tie into my sternal cartilage..

i took a break and got back to serious lifting again and its retriggered it. im here to ask you veteran lifters if youve experienced it... i believe its from decline bench/dips?

when i did it previously, i could just be lying on my side and when i got up, the pressure being released off it would cause a shuttering feel.

do i just need to man up?

thank you in advance.
    How did he determine this? Was an MRI done or anything?
    I had a rib out in my back for several years and saw several chiropractors for other issues but had them stay away from that area because they always made it worse until I found one who did A.R.T. and he noticed the spot on initial examination and put it back in place easily. It didnt stay long but after several manipulations it is much better. I could tell a difference on the first adjustment so I knew he had it right.

I would not be pushing anything because if he is right and there is a tear be it muscle or tendon (tendon being worse) you are going to need a lot of time to heal and it's very likely he is right considering what you were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts

How did he determine this? Was an MRI done or anything?
    I had a rib out in my back for several years and saw several chiropractors for other issues but had them stay away from that area because they always made it worse until I found one who did A.R.T. and he noticed the spot on initial examination and put it back in place easily. It didnt stay long but after several manipulations it is much better. I could tell a difference on the first adjustment so I knew he had it right.

I would not be pushing anything because if he is right and there is a tear be it muscle or tendon (tendon being worse) you are going to need a lot of time to heal and it's very likely he is right considering what you were doing.
    no MRI, in fact I should stop being an idiot about it and probably get an x-ray... It's not sore at the moment (ijust trained chest)
    I can't disagree, what would you suggest I do!?

Thank you for helping.

xray wont show much. It MAY show if you have a rib that is out of alignment but only from the right angle and typically doctors dont look for that, only breaks. xray wont show any muscle or tendon damage. You will need an MRI and possible one with contrast dye but maybe not,.

Agreed. X-ray won't show much anterniorly
    X-ray can rule out gross dislocation...but mainly done to rule out fracture. But without constant pain or trauma, and with relapse not based on trauma, suggested to me that the area in question is a bit loose...ie rib in anterior chest cartilage....and a strong pull by ur lifting tugged it out...and ur side lying position was relieving cause u r squishing ur ribs and vertebrae around...with a sudden movement of that sensitive area on coming out of side lying elusive me...I've played sports...and have had the fun of having multiple anterior chest wall injuries...lower left rib 8-9, right lower 7, left 5-6 at sternum...went from being finalist in an athletic sport to being a weepy wimp boy pushing 5 lb on a machine because my anterior chest hurt...but after the acute pain settled -bone & cartilage...and yes some manipulation of anterior and posterior ribs, I've always recovered and back up to heavy weights..1-2 weeks recovery....mind you when the kids put their pointy little knees into my chest at just the area I can tell its not 100%...

thanks a lot for the advice guys!

i went to the doctor and got a refferal for a scan where they inject a dye into me and scan for stuff like this.

fingers crossed!

Good luck and good to hear. Not something you want to wait or ignore.

Thread Information