Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Ingrown nail on big toe of right foot. Help

TbolzNdbols is offline Associate Member

Ingrown nail on big toe of right foot. Help

Anyone ever have this injury? It hurts so bad. But I'm already 43 days into cutting. I really am thinking of having it removed, because its hindering my cardio. Anyone know the recovery time if I get the procedure where they slice like half of nail off and dig down deep to remove it. I have a really deep one, probably 2-3 years worth of growth. So painful.

Thanks

The 6 year man Miz

dirkd is offline New Member
    The slice thing will keep you out of heavy activity on foot for a few days to 1 week.

Had it done twice myself. Well worth it once done though.
    I went months in pain to regretting I did not do the slice earlier.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Had both big toes done, don't let them take half off make sure you take all of it off otherwise they start up again. I had to go back after 6 months and have it all removed including the root..Its very painful and the recovery isn't fast I had both my done at once and was out of action for a month..

To correctly do it they slice down into the roots remove slice then kill the root bed with chemicals.
    If done accurately it should not come back.
    Check out youtube. But yes procedure does hurt,

thanks for replies guys, very informative.

Right now its somewhat tolerable, I'm day 44 into my deit. I don't think I can afford a month of recovery time. I'm starting cycle in 46 days.

Would it be best I let it grow and try to dig it out myself just to releave a little pressure? Should I have it done after cycle? Or should I just man up do it now, and take the month loss (I say month just to be on safe side, but it could take 1-3 weeks like some stated). Ugh this is a really hard decision.

Markus have yours ever come back after you had the full procedure done?

also if you were in my shoes (thank God your not lol because this thing hurts) what would you do?
    Last edited by TbolzNdbols; 05-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I have had em cut out a few times (including once with a plyers,scalpal and a towel in my mouth) (miss the Corps lol)

I finally had it done right. The remove the troublesome side and use a chemical that essentaily burns it. I dont remember the recovery time as it was a long time ago but it wasnt bad. Minus cardio I would bet weights would be a few days at most. I mean..it;s just a fkn toe

Stubbs8 is offline Junior Member
    That sucks man. I had one on my left foot. I just dig in there and cut and hack/ pry it out and snip it. Hurts for a couple days. Then I'm good for a couple months.

I hacked at mine for many months to give me temporary relief but you will still need to man up at some point in time.

Be very careful it does not get infected, keep them clean and soak if required in warm water. I had both go this way after hacking. They will get red skin around it and can get pus etc. If that happens you have no choice but antibiotic tablets. Antibiotic creams will not be strong enough and it is unlikely they will slice it until infection cleared.

I only had one come back and that is because doctor did not use chemical to kill roots. The ones done using full proceedure have been fine now for years.

mathewOIF07-09 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TbolzNdbols
    Anyone ever have this injury? It hurts so bad. But I'm already 43 days into cutting. I really am thinking of having it removed, because its hindering my cardio. Anyone know the recovery time if I get the procedure where they slice like half of nail off and dig down deep to remove it. I have a really deep one, probably 2-3 years worth of growth. So painful.

Thanks

The 6 year man Miz
    Bro I have had two on each foot!! I had to end up going to the doctor they will give you a shot and the needle is like a 23 g 1".... That's the worse pain ever...... Once that's over your good... They will cut the nail out and you won't feel the way you do now

ahhh I'm going to see if I can tough it out longer. If i can't I'm going to just go to the doctor. If I could wait 3-4 months for when cycle is complete that would be ideal. Go figure I stubbed it today at gym(wore stupid sketcher go running shoes with soft mesh tops) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skechers-Go-Bionic-Bend-24.jpg 
Views:	2414 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	138077. I screamed like a lost girl surrounded by killer clowns from outer space.

Of course hottest 2 girls/work out buddies heard me and giggled. God loves to pick perfect times to embarrass me I swear lol

I sounded like Pharrell Williams. Yeah it was bad. I will never wear a shoe that resembles a sock again with this stupid nail! Ugh

Btw my color. Really fine running shoe for those of you who like a nice light cardio shoe. A little pricey though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2195637-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	138078
    Last edited by TbolzNdbols; 05-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.

londog is offline Junior Member
    I cut my own out then notch the middle of the toe nail like a V helps a lot good luck

DB1982 is offline Member
    Like Lunk said just go the the Dr's.

I've also had it done several times. The shot is the worst part. The recovery is pretty fast. Skip cardio for a couple days you'll be good.

Twin is offline Associate Member
    Had an ingrown toe nail for 4 years. Once a month i cut at an angle and drag it to the side.(to get it out of the side of my skin of toe)

i wouldnt recommend this but its what i do with no issues.
    Pain free... Once i get pain i take care of it.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TbolzNdbols View Post

Thanks

The 6 year man Miz
    I get this about every third year.

Fuk letting the docs "dig down deep"....
    ....there is absolutely no need for such butchery.

Mate, It's time to man up and do what I do.
    get a clean exacto knife (very sharp) and some alcohol.

before I describe what I do, my woman has to leave me as she can't stand the sight/thought of what I'm about to tell you...

you will need to remove about half of the toenail. if that fails, you will need to remove the whole toenail, so if you are careful and thorough, you will get it right the first time and only need to remove half.

starting at the middle of your toenail, lightly slice a vertical line (not all the way through) all the way down to the base of your toenail. this will establish your cut line. Now be patient, as this procedure could take 30 minutes or so. Pain is your friend! It will tell you if you slice into the meat (not good). Re cut down your cut line, over and over. make damn sure you cut all the way to the bottom cleanly, as when you remove the toenail, you want it to be clean and come out by the root. Continue to cut down the cut line over and over, until you think you are through the toe nail. working your way from top center (ingrown toe nail side), try pulling to get separation from the nail and the tissue below. This can be a little painful, so work slowly. You will know when you have not completely cut through the cut line, so you will need to recut those areas. At some point, you should be able to lift from the cut line, and have good separation between the nail, and the tissue below, all the way from the cut line. Once this happens, you are more or less through the cutting stage and now proceed to the "pulling" stage where you slowly pull the toenail from the tissue below. Be careful, as there will be some blood. Pulling towards the ingrown site, continue pulling until you get final separation.

Be patient!

If you did this correctly, you will find almost immediate relief, AND your toe will no longer be sore, with no real open wound. You should be able to tape your toe (optional) and begin walking on it immediately.

I had a friend go to his butcher doctor, his doctor numbed the toe, and cut toenail and tissue alike. the damn toe swole up, and hurt my buddy for a week, barely able to walk on it. fuk that!!!

DO IT YOURSELF

(you can thank me later!!)

Omg Times I almost threw up! Does anyone know about pain meds that can P/M me please. I'm not talking rec use, but I was prescribed temporary pain meds today so I'm able to continue my work outs and they helped so much. They are pretty strong though. Also need to know if the pain meds I'm on are okay to take with my cycle when I start in a little over a month.

Times I would never be able to do that with out an injection of numbing agent. No possible way on this planet. I also don't want to have a whacked out toe nail for when I hit the beach. Thats going to freaking suck man.

Times.
    Dude you are a hard nut. Bugger doing that every three years. If they get bad they really hurt to even touch like Tbol mentioned.
    Tomes yours are growing back every 3 because the chemical is not applied to kill the nails root bed.
    Not sure about cutting half nail off as suggested too you end up a freak show with F$%^Ked up toe nails when wearing no covered shoes.

I used to hack mine temporarily using very fine sharp scissors embedded and slid down side. Hoping to cut off the section that was embedded. An exacto knife would do same with pliers.

If it was me and could not afford a few days off cardio I would try a temp hack but still end up at Dr in long run before it came back.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    DO IT YOURSELF
    LOL Why would you go to the Dr. for an ingrown nail. I agree with times do it yourself.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    thanks for replies guys, very informative.

Right now its somewhat tolerable, I'm day 44 into my deit. I don't think I can afford a month of recovery time. I'm starting cycle in 46 days.

Would it be best I let it grow and try to dig it out myself just to releave a little pressure? Should I have it done after cycle? Or should I just man up do it now, and take the month loss (I say month just to be on safe side, but it could take 1-3 weeks like some stated). Ugh this is a really hard decision.

Markus have yours ever come back after you had the full procedure done?

also if you were in my shoes (thank God your not lol because this thing hurts) what would you do?
    No mine haven't come back they took the root aswell. When I first started to get one I lasted close to 12 months with it but had to go in and they cut half off and took some root, that fuking hurt...After about 6 months the other half of the nail decided to grow down the side of my toe so it started all over again so I went it and they took my whole nail off and the root and while they were doing that I told them to do the other side so had both done at once. The other side was sore but not ingrowing yet but just couldn't handle all the pain of keeping going back to the doctors....

RaW InStiNcTz is offline Junior Member
    Do it yourself bro

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Omg Times I almost threw up! Does anyone know about pain meds that can P/M me please. I'm not talking rec use, but I was prescribed temporary pain meds today so I'm able to continue my work outs and they helped so much. They are pretty strong though. Also need to know if the pain meds I'm on are okay to take with my cycle when I start in a little over a month.

Times I would never be able to do that with out an injection of numbing agent. No possible way on this planet. I also don't want to have a whacked out toe nail for when I hit the beach. Thats going to freaking suck man.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkd View Post
    Times.
    Dude you are a hard nut. Bugger doing that every three years. If they get bad they really hurt to even touch like Tbol mentioned.
    Tomes yours are growing back every 3 because the chemical is not applied to kill the nails root bed.
    Not sure about cutting half nail off as suggested too you end up a freak show with F$%^Ked up toe nails when wearing no covered shoes.

I used to hack mine temporarily using very fine sharp scissors embedded and slid down side. Hoping to cut off the section that was embedded. An exacto knife would do same with pliers.

If it was me and could not afford a few days off cardio I would try a temp hack but still end up at Dr in long run before it came back.
    Mates,

You got me all wrong. You WANT the pain! It's there to let you know you are fukkking up. and when you feel the pain, you STOP because you are doing something wrong.

Look, the pain is only moderate, and you only lose a couple of drops of blood. And when you are through, your toe feels better immediately. Taping (optional) your toe before putting your loose shoe on in a few hours, preferably after a soak if it was infected. I never let it get that bad, and if the toe nail begins to look bad, off comes the toenail!

Times I'm going pain med (30mg of oxycodone) pliers and blow torch on it tonight (getting mid evil on this thing). Wish me luck! No I will not be injecting numbing agent, hence the codone 30mg tablet.

(no this is not rec drug use, or talk)

zdet77 is offline New Member
    Blog Entries
    I use a small piece of cotton with with neosporin on the cotton and use a tooth pick, clean of course to edge the cotton under the toe nail. It cushions the edge of the toe nail some. After a few days you can get larger pieces of cotton under the toe nail. The first few days go easy on how much you irritate the toe nail. Had one when I was 14 and about a year ago. 35 now. It works dude and its basically painless. When you first put the cotton under the nail you can feel the pressure but it shouldn't hurt. Also you don't have to get it all the way in the infected part, just close as comfortably possible. After a few days you can get closer to the ingrown part. Oh yeah change out the old cotton daily to twice daily and use peroxide to clean the toe when you change the cotton out.

CanadianBeefcake is offline New Member
    Thanks for the tip Times Roman. I did my own "procedure" tonight like you posted and removed a sharp piece of nail that was killing me with pain. Got a sterile pad on the nail now, taped up with first aid tape and no more pain now.

Thread Information