rskelton22 is offline New Member

Shin splints - tight calves - possible calf strain

I recently have been getting terrible shin splints, i think, while playing basketball. The pain comes in the lower front inside of the shin bone, but it almost feels like something is tugging at the rear of the calf. What are the possible injuries here? I have never gotten these before, but it has put me out of order. I cant play at all because the pain is pretty bad and i have no explosion. Could it be something other than shin splints? What is the best way to rehab this sort of thing?

e9soldier is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rskelton22 View Post
    I recently have been getting terrible shin splints, i think, while playing basketball. The pain comes in the lower front inside of the shin bone, but it almost feels like something is tugging at the rear of the calf. What are the possible injuries here? I have never gotten these before, but it has put me out of order. I cant play at all because the pain is pretty bad and i have no explosion. Could it be something other than shin splints? What is the best way to rehab this sort of thing?
    I had some horrible pain in my shins that when misdiagnosed for years as shin splints. Found out recently it is something called Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome. I'm NOT saying that is what you have, but if you suffer from shin splints you might want to google the symptoms and see if it applies to you. Most Family practice doc's don't know about it.

Hope you feel better!

BIGTIMEPUSH is offline Associate Member
    I went for about a year ignoring the pain from shin splints while playing football in high school. One day during two a days I just could not take the pain anymore. Later after seeing a doctor I got sent to Radiology at the hospital and by ignoring the pain and signs I had what is called stress fractures all up and down my shins. I was told by the doctor that shin splints are painful because it is basically the muscle pulling off the bone. Hence the stress fractures. The muscle pulled bone with it as it ripped off the bone. I was given a stretching plan that involved pointing your toes up and lifting your foot as high as you can while keeping your heel on the ground. There were a couple others but that seemed to work the best. I did this a couple times a day to stretch them out esp. before I worked out. Try to do these stretches everyday and not run for a while the impact is bad for the recovery. You can also Ice as needed if they hurt after an activity. Hope this helps...

Thread Information