Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ac guy

Thread: Numb Arms (again)

  1. #1
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496

    Numb Arms (again)

    This happens sooner or later every time I start back to the gym. It was diagnosed as 'repetitive stress injury' and was told to stop doing whatever was causing it. Life is to short to stop so I was wondering if any one else has this issue and have you found a way to work around it to lessen it or better yet stop it from happening at all.

    Seems anything involving the shoulders leads to numbness/pins and needles at various times while sleeping. If I take a few days off it pretty much goes away. This started about 10-12 years ago when I was in my late 30's early 40's. This time around it does not seem to be as severe as in the past but is still a nuisance.

  2. #2
    ac guy is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    373
    What part of your arms? I get that from my hands up past my elbows from carpal tunnel. Sucks but when you work with your hands for a living your options are limited.

  3. #3
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    not sure what to tell you. when I pulled lumber at the mill on the green chain, I would get that. if I slept with palms down (pressure on funny bone), then arms would be totally numb/asleep when I woke up. So I couldn't sleep unless hands overhead with funny bone face up.

    I'm thinking you need some kind of anti inflammatory and maybe ice it down after working out.

    Good luck!
    ---Roman

  4. #4
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Sounds like it's a fairly common problem. Design flaw I suppose? lol. I never had the problem when I was younger so I'm gonna guess wear and tear have a lot to do with it. Maybe putting pressure on the nerve that runs through the shoulder down into the arm. Sometimes the whole arm (or worse, both of them) would feel like a piece of wood.

  5. #5
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    And I don't care what Pink Floyd said, it is NOT comfortably numb. lol.

  6. #6
    Alright john's Avatar
    Alright john is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Garden of England
    Posts
    52
    I have the same problem as we speak. It happens after certain incline movements. I ignored it as I thought it was a side from hgh but through elimination it is from the exercise

  7. #7
    Rusty11's Avatar
    Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,707
    Have you ever taken more than a few days off? As you know, sometimes certain issues require a much longer period in order to heal. I had a nagging elbow problem that only hurt with curls. I did a few days off and it would feel ok, then begin hurting again. Got tired of this and did no curls for a month. Two weeks back at it and no pain...finally. just a thought...

  8. #8
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty11 View Post
    Have you ever taken more than a few days off? As you know, sometimes certain issues require a much longer period in order to heal. I had a nagging elbow problem that only hurt with curls. I did a few days off and it would feel ok, then begin hurting again. Got tired of this and did no curls for a month. Two weeks back at it and no pain...finally. just a thought...
    I've taken years off. Literally. I just started lifiting again around March 2013 with a few false starts in the summer of 2012. Last time I was active lifting was in 2009. It always comes back. I had the same problem with my tendonosis. No matter how long of a break I'd take it would always come back. For that one I tried cortical steroid shots, rehab (pt), accupuncture, and ART (active release tension) all to no avail. They either did nothing or provided minor and temporary relief.

  9. #9
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright john View Post
    I have the same problem as we speak. It happens after certain incline movements. I ignored it as I thought it was a side from hgh but through elimination it is from the exercise
    It almost has to be a genetic thing. Some people have the problem while others never do.

  10. #10
    Rusty11's Avatar
    Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,707
    Ahhh. I see. Man, wish I had suggestion. Sorry.

  11. #11
    Alright john's Avatar
    Alright john is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Garden of England
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    It almost has to be a genetic thing. Some people have the problem while others never do.
    My older brother doesn't suffer from it and he pushes a lot of weight. Different milk man that week

  12. #12
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright john View Post
    My older brother doesn't suffer from it and he pushes a lot of weight. Different milk man that week
    lol!

  13. #13
    jwh7699 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    629
    Before I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands I would get nerve pain in both triceps. Also my left arm would go to sleep if I lied on it for just a little while.

    I would suggest going to a Neurologist and have a nerve conduction test done. They place a small pin in two different spots on the arm and run a small electrical current. They can tell if there is any nerve impedance.

  14. #14
    ac guy is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by jwh7699 View Post
    Before I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands I would get nerve pain in both triceps. Also my left arm would go to sleep if I lied on it for just a little while.

    I would suggest going to a Neurologist and have a nerve conduction test done. They place a small pin in two different spots on the arm and run a small electrical current. They can tell if there is any nerve impedance.
    Small electric current my arse. I get shocked all the time at work, never bothers me, but that test had me in tears lol.
    jwh7699 likes this.

  15. #15
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by jwh7699 View Post
    Before I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands I would get nerve pain in both triceps. Also my left arm would go to sleep if I lied on it for just a little while.

    I would suggest going to a Neurologist and have a nerve conduction test done. They place a small pin in two different spots on the arm and run a small electrical current. They can tell if there is any nerve impedance.
    I had it done last year (not pleasant at all) and everything check good...

  16. #16
    Brazensol's Avatar
    Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by ac guy View Post
    Small electric current my arse. I get shocked all the time at work, never bothers me, but that test had me in tears lol.
    I hear ya! It sucked big time!

  17. #17
    Sgtmiles is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13
    I have the same thing but with my legs. It makes it where I can not sleep so I bought a pair of high quality compression pants and now I can handle it.

  18. #18
    jwh7699 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    629
    Any neck problems or disk problems? Are the shoulders sore to the touch like tendinitis?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •