WMSuperSport is offline Associate Member

Movements to avoid to preserve shoulders

As with all fitness questions, every expert has a different answer. I would like to get you guy's opinions on what to avoid, or do, to avoid shoulder problems. I always do small and big arm circle stretches with palms up and down to stretch and get the blood flowing through there, along with slinging(?) my arms back and forth to loosen up on upper body days. I have to work around alot of injuries already, and do not want to factor in messed up shoulders in the mix, EVER.

*I've noticed if I go down too far when bench pressing with barbell, it binds up my shoulder, so I don't go all the way down. Push-ups seem ok with the "stands"(or whatever that gets your hands a few inches off the ground, which are very helpful with wrist pain)

*If I feel any pain doing lateral dumb-bell lifts for shoulders and feel any tweak, I quit. I feel like I can lift another day, but it hurts my pride if I don't go 110% on every sing workout, every single day. So it sucks too.

*Am I just being a *****, or am I making the right decision to quit when I feel abnormal pain? I just very recently starting lifting with more experienced people who know alot more than me, so I feel my technique and form can be improved to avoid injury.

Any thoughts?

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    strict form will reduce the amount of weight you have to use to get the same burn in addition to less chance of.injury. imo saving the bodypart for another day when you feel abnormal pain is the correct thing to do.

Thanks for the input. I also believe that less weight/better form/technique will provide better results for my particular body, but most of the "big" dudes I talk to swear by the "higher the weight, the bigger you'll get, no matter if you can only do 1/2 rep." So I get confused at times, because I'm still little compared to most juiced guys. I've only got 1 test cycle under my belt, but about to start deca /test, and going to train with these "big" dudes much more, and I'll see how my body reacts. Thankfully my gym has some very cool large people willing to train with a guy like me.

6'2", 215, ~18%bf, 30yo, fighting awful genetics, eat pretty good compared to most, but most people can still get better results than me without even trying. I'll beat it though, and eventually get where I wanna be

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Eh. You can do it recklessly and pay for it later or.do it safely and reap the long term benefit of having done so. I'm not saying don't listen to the guys youre training with, just have to use your head.

I totally get what youre saying. I have had a bad back since I was a teenager, so when these guys wanna do heavy squats I tell them I only feel comfortable going light until I slowly work my way up to higher weight... get what I'm saying? Same with bent-over rows, etc.

Is this what you meant?

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Just remember to get in those warmups! Front db raises with even moderate weight kills my shoulders so IF I do them it is light weight and higher reps. Also can't do military press to the front (or dumbbells) because it pinches a nerve in my left shoulder. Behind the neck seems to be ok so far. Knock on wood! I also have to do incline db presses no higher than 30 degrees or it pinches on that nerve. The joys of getting older... lol.

jwh7699 is offline Member
    Warming up is always important like Brazensol said to avoid injury. Nothing wrong with backing off if you feel pain.

I recently got back into dead lifting, they can be good for the shoulders as well as the back. Kettle bells can be a good warm up (Or use a light dumb bell if you don't have one.

I prefer military presses, but I have done front and side lateral raises using a 10lb plate. It doesn't seem like much but if you do really slow reps they work great without putting to much strain on the shoulders. Hold it palm done like a Frisbee.

Good Luck!!

sounds good, thanks guys

Thread Information