Stoptheslowdown is offline New Member

Deep Muscle Work.

Hi guys. I have over tight lower lumbar from years of deadlifting and not stretching. Yup, I find myself at 40 wishing I had listened to the light weights over by cardio area.They were right and I was wrong end off. Anyway- I went to a physical therapist and man, it worked wonders. He striped out what felt like strands of knotted rope in the left side of my back which was so tight it was throwing everything out further up the posterior chain. I have made a weekly appointment from now on, untill im as tender as a steak.

my question is, since im a deadlifter- should I have my back work done berore deadlift day, or should I do it after? and also, what if I went for a back rub 2x a week. is that too much?
    Thanks.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's never to much as long as you get a happy ending.

I think most people do massage after. I have never had them frequent enough to really know except when I'm in Thailand or Philippines but then I'm not lifting that much on vacation either.

Stoptheslowdown is offline New Member
    With the drain on my natural T nowadays, Im trying to save the happyendings for the wife

diabeticknowledge is offline Associate Member
    its best you ask the PT if and when to train after a session. If he does any chiropractic manipulation with you, then you might have to wait two days. This is really important

luciuswillson is offline Junior Member
    I always like to have bodywork done a day before or so, that way I can be loose for then I hit the gym. My wife is a PT and have back low back. She goes the Graston technique and tool on me and I feel like a new man after. I love the technique I am going to a Graston course and buying the tools myself.

diabeticknowledge is offline Associate Member
    being loose is in other words being vulnerable - depending on what was done with you.

Graston doesnt look great on scientific papers but good luck

luciuswillson is offline Junior Member
    Being loose is not Necessarily a bad thing. What one should not do is a lot of static stretching just prior to strenuous workouts (lifting). The reason for this a physiological one, when we stretch i.e. quad hamstrings what we are doing is turning the muscle off to lengthen it. If we are really tight and have to stretch prior to activity we need to incorporate some type of dynamic movement for that body part to increase the number of motor units firing so we recruit more muscles and have less of a chance of injuring ourselves.

Thread Information