gymnutt is offline Associate Member

cervical fusion, please give me your advice

Hi all.
    Have struggled with C3-C5 herniation for the last 8 years. I have what neurologist tell me is permanent strength loss in my left arm due to chronic nerve root compression. This has made lifting and life very challenging. After trying chiropractic, massage, rolfing, accupuncture, yoga, tens, intra-spinal cortisones injections, Im looking at surgery. Three neuro-spinal surgeons have all recommended fusion. The one I distrust the least with the best track record recommends anterior and posterior approach for a solid fusion to C3-C5> I'm looking for feedback on what I might expect afterwords in relation to recovery time, level of recovery, range of motion, expected stress to adjacent discs.
    I want more than anything to be pounding the weights and to be back in sports like I did when I was younger. However, I'm looking for realistic and honest feedback. At this point I have a mortage to pay and a family to feed and am curious if I will even be able to return to work in the near future. Thanks for any replies

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    I can only give you my example of two ppl I know, One is friend one is brother. My friend has had two fusions one lower spine on in neck. He does still have pain, but he works driving truck. He has gotten used to it. Now my bro, he has one fusion in mid lower back, he has never came back from it. Before, working out, worked as bouncer- after alot pain and is in disability. Hooked on h...... I think with these operations things can go either way, just make sure you have a good dr. My brother had one of the top guys in the NE. So I think some of it is mental, his life was good and then the accident happen and that's it. So good luck that's my experience. They have tried to do operation on my back, bulging disc. I told them hell no. I live with it, a little pain every now and then.

PIMking13 is offline New Member
    I want to ask you how you're doing. I had my c4/c5 fused in Feb. '14 and just about a month ago started working out again.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking13 View Post
    I want to ask you how you're doing. I had my c4/c5 fused in Feb. '14 and just about a month ago started working out again.
    Good luck with that considering the last time he posted here was over 1yr ago.
    06-23-2013, 03:39 PM

How is yours doing? Are you still on pain meds? What is the pain level compared to before surgery?

Ive had 2 lower back surgeries. L3 & L4 in 2005 and L5/S1 in 2007. They wanted to do a fuse after but I wont let them and dont need it.

I had pain in the upper middle back for several years and figured I must have another herniated or fractured disc that way it always hurt and when it got back I could hardly breath. Turned out to be a rib out of place from an ATV accident several years ago. Chiropractor got it put back in place and OMG what a difference. It took a few months to stay in.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 08-13-2014 at 03:45 AM.

I'm doing well with mine, the worst day of my life was the day after when they sent me home. the pain was so bad that I was eating pills like candy and the good ones too..

I've been working out for the last month and still a little weak up top but I have no more pain in my neck and shoulders.

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Did you back to work?
    What type of job and how long did it take to get back?
    Good to hear your doing well.

I am a hotel manager so mainly desk work. I had the surgery Feb 9th and was back at work march 1st.

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey guys, I know its an old thread but this seems to be the place where us spinal fusions seems to post. PMKing its good to hear that you are working out again finally. I just had my cervical fusion done on 22AUG. Im still in a bit of pain and just ran out of pain killers. The biggest killer is my throat. It feels like someone ripped it out and put it back in somehow. I now have c2-7 fused with permanent nerve damage in my right arm and the doctor said i will have mild residual spinal cord damage. I dont feel all too terrible, though, just bone aches and stuff. I really want to get back into the gym. It looks like you waited about 6 months to hit the gym?

5 months to get back in.

I've been having some soreness and pain in my upper back/shoulder blade area. Not sure if it's from working out but it's making me about as stiff as I was before my surgery.

the throat thing took about a month for me to feel a little normal, make sure you have water or something to drink when you eat so you don't choke to death.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking13 View Post
    I am a hotel manager so mainly desk work. I had the surgery Feb 9th and was back at work march 1st.
    I have a desk job also. My 1st back surgery on L3 & L4 I was back to work 3 days later and felt great.

My 2nd one was a BIG difference. It was almost 2 weeks from the day I ruptured L5/S1 until surgery. It was the worse 10 days of my life. I didnt go back to work for 2 whole months. I spend a little over 3 weeks recuperating in Thailand.

I'm worried about some pain that I've had between my shoulderblades lately. The surgeon said that they would most likely have to fuse below the one he already did sometime down the road.

I've been working out hard and I think it's just a muscle strain. I've gained 10 pounds in muscle since July 1st.

Thread Information