Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TASSY5
  • 1 Post By lovbyts

Thread: Shoulder surgery Tues, 4 proceedures and need advice on recovery pain healing etc.

TASSY5 is offline Associate Member

Question Shoulder surgery Tues, 4 proceedures and need advice on recovery pain healing etc.

I am Having Shoulder surgery Tuesday on my shoulder.
    The Mumford proceedure, Liabrum grinding, bone spurs removal, and disconnect and reconnect of my bicep the doc says to releive pressure.

I have suffered for a few years off and on but cortazone has helped but really isnt anymore. I am 45 and a active lifter in the gym.
    5'10 238 but my lifting has become way off and i hurt every night after working out. so I opted to get this done.
    Now i hear my recovery may be 6 to 8 months if all heals up properly.
    Has anyone had these proceedures done and can give me some light on the situation on what ot expect as for healing and getting back to normal and back in the gym?

the surgery is to be the one where they go in with the 4 access points, not the cutting of my shoulder to my knowledge.

Thanks for any feed back

39 VIEWS AND NO IN PUT.

Bump

SidVicious77 is offline Associate Member
    I had slightly different surgery last tuesday and the pain by now is down to very bearable levels. Spending extended periods with the sling off. First two days were bad, had to sleep sitting up or the pain wouldn't let me sleep.
    Can't say much about longer term recovery as its just been less than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious77 View Post
    I had slightly different surgery last tuesday and the pain by now is down to very bearable levels. Spending extended periods with the sling off. First two days were bad, had to sleep sitting up or the pain wouldn't let me sleep.
    Can't say much about longer term recovery as its just been less than a week.
    Thanks for the input. Hope you heal well alao.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    All I can say is your in for a treat, have patience.

uoflcards is offline Junior Member
    My dad had shoulder surgery and so did my uncle. My dad had to get it done from a fall and my uncle from lifting. Both say there shoulder is now stronger than before the surgery. Like was said, just have patience, good luck.

Well, surgery was a week ago today. Had to have my acromium ground down on the end as it was pointed and poking my rotator, removed bone spurs and it seemed the acromium partially tor the rotator and it seemed under my rotator was torn also. so the cut it loose and anchored it and reattached it..
    now a week later, still in pain and cant really lift my arm. forarm moves fine but cANT LIFT MY UPPER ARM IN A FRONT OR LATTERAL RAISE. man i hope that i can recover at a pretty fast pase then a long drawn out healing process.
    Any Input???

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    I had surgery feb 2012, I was told that it would take 1 year for the shoulder joint to be as strong as it will be, and that was true but I can tell you that to this day I am still regaining r.o.m. and have to deal with some stiffness,i think it will be 2 years before I get everything back, I had acronym removed,bone spurs removed and a bicep tendon repair,had my arm In a sling for the first month,i was told not to move my arm on its own,so twice a day my wife took it out of sling and would move it thru some r.o.m., I put mine off for longer than I should have and it made my rehab much worse as in it was very painful, be patient and do as your doc says because if you cause an injury it will be worse.

NightStalker is offline New Member
    TASSY, Keep us updated on your progress. I have a rotator cuff tear and slap tear in my right shoulder. Arthroscopic surgery scheduled for 3rd week in October.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i had both labrums repaired. they are easy, and acromaplasties on both. Had my upper bi tear from the labrum but they reconnected it, no prob, only partial. Never had a disconnect and reconnect. That i assume will take a longer healing time. I think you'll be good tho, they have shoulders down to a routine science

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NightStalker View Post
    TASSY, Keep us updated on your progress. I have a rotator cuff tear and slap tear in my right shoulder. Arthroscopic surgery scheduled for 3rd week in October.
    Ok guys, been a bit.
    Had the surgery on Sept 12. had to remove a good bit of the acromium that hooked. had to remove bone spurs and had a 50/50 teat so he cut it and anchored the tendon back in place.
    In my 6th week sionce surgery and 3rd week of therapy. still Hurts a good bit. sleeping is still hard and range of motion is not back yet.
    everytime i lift my arm in therapy movements or assisted movements my shoulder lifts up like im a hunch back. They say its normal as the body is protecting the wound. I just want to get back to nomal. it seems like such a slow process. But i keep pushing on. i will check back in and let yall know how things are going in a week or two. if any questions feel free.

Combat Vet 11B is offline Junior Member
    Don't do to much to soon, listen to the doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Vet 11B View Post
    Don't do to much to soon, listen to the doc.
    I'm not but I'm going stir crazy not going to the gym.
    I may start some kind of cardio this week.
    At 45 almost 46 atrophy sets in quick.

SidVicious77 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, sucks not being able to work out. You still have some painful recovery and physiotherapy ahead of you, but there is an end to it in sight. I had mine about two months ahead of yours and ive just been cleared to start off with light weights. Really light. The doc has me on the baby pink 2kilo dumbells to start with to get the joint used to movement and load again. I had the same hunchback problem, but now consciously working on depressing and spreading my scapulae and that's painful but starting to help. Ac joint still tight even though I had my acromion burred down too. Overall shoulder still hurts in extreme positions and external rotation is the most difficult, but seeing slow and steady improvement now that the tissues are healed it's about stretching to get back rom and light loading to bring back strength.
    Take it easy, don't worry about the atrophy. Its as easy to recover from once you've got back to the weights after healing fully.

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious77 View Post
    Yeah, sucks not being able to work out. You still have some painful recovery and physiotherapy ahead of you, but there is an end to it in sight. I had mine about two months ahead of yours and ive just been cleared to start off with light weights. Really light. The doc has me on the baby pink 2kilo dumbells to start with to get the joint used to movement and load again. I had the same hunchback problem, but now consciously working on depressing and spreading my scapulae and that's painful but starting to help. Ac joint still tight even though I had my acromion burred down too. Overall shoulder still hurts in extreme positions and external rotation is the most difficult, but seeing slow and steady improvement now that the tissues are healed it's about stretching to get back rom and light loading to bring back strength.
    Take it easy, don't worry about the atrophy. Its as easy to recover from once you've got back to the weights after healing fully.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Thursday Nov 21 made 10 weeks since surgery. Pain is really much better. Some angles do hurt but overall getting around pretty good. Working on the above head lifts like Tutch down swings with my arms and standing still jumping jack arm swings but only out level with my shoulders. ( not above the head yet) I am back in the gym doing cardio a hour a day and now using the cable machines to work my good arm and certain machines to do legs for what i can do. I am on TET and have been for 6 years but was wondering if anything i could add to that would assist my shoulder in healing 100% strong again. My Therapist said at 12 weeks we will start more of Weights with that arm but in the mean time he said i can do cables with the healing arm with 5 or 10 pound weight on it. Just NO Front raises yet.
    At least i am back in the gym which is my goal and my enjoyment time of the day.
    I am just hoping that my shoulder heals right and that I can get back to lifting ( even Heavy) if i want in the future with No issues. I am following my PT to the letter and I have a whole new learned respect for the craft. Amazing what a good therapyst can help yo get through.
    Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's been over a year for me, 2 years May 2014. I'm still not 100%. I started PT 3 days after my surgery. I did it for 3 months then took a break for a few months. I did it again for a few months then off again. I have very good range of motion according to the doctor although it still is not what it should be and still hurts.

My doctor is the head orthopedic surgeon for our NFL football and baseball team. He was amazed at how much damage the MRI did not show and the surgery took 2x longer than he had anticipated. Overall I'm happy with the results and think it will still take time to get to 100% if ever.

Good rule of thumb when lifting. If it hurts dont do it. Dont try to work through the pain. It takes a long time to heal properly and sometime you have to take a break.

I have had good results using TB500 to help with the recovery and joint pain.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i was recently diagnosed with severe traumatic arthritis (Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis - Boston Shoulder Institute - The Boston Shoulder Institute is based at the Massachusetts General Hospital and the Brigham and Women's Hospital.), but have decided to avoid/delay surgery as long as possible. range of motion is bad, pain is bad, but i just don't want to start down what may be a slippery slope. the mildest surgical option is orthoscopic debridement to 'clean up the joint', with patient dependent benefit - the doc doesn't have a specific prediction in my case. joint replacement is the next option - ugh.

i'll live with the pain for awhile...

so... no military's for me and lots and lots of lateral raises.

op, good luck with the recovery.

Update. its been 15 weeks siiiiince the day of surgery. I can now lift my arm straight up, out to the side and in a windmill direction. I have been in PT for about 10 weks (Now finished) and back in the gym for about 5 weeks. The eliptical machine helped loosen up my arm a good bit but once i was able to implament lat pull downs and other back exersizes things really started coming around. Then i have aded in arm bicep & tricep work outs. I am taking it slo as not to hurt anything. If im sore the next day for any reason on the shoulder i take the day off from working out. By March I should be pretty far along. I am very pleased with my Surgen and my Therapists. they have been great.
    Biggest Advice I can give any of you is what was given to me. Patience, follow the Dr. and your Therapist to the letter and you should recover properly.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TASSY5 View Post
    Biggest Advice I can give any of you is what was given to me. Patience, follow the Dr. and your Therapist to the letter and you should recover properly.
    Thanks for updating us on your progress. I have been facing this and putting it off for some time.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    after the surgery if you can find a good sport doctor who practice prolotherapy and PRP more PRP its excellent for healing faster after a surgery, if you can go whole blood even better its a lot cheaper then PRP and it does pretty much the same thing. Be sure to modify your training after the surgery and good luck

Hey guys, UPDATE time::: ok right at 4 months to the day of surgery. Full range is back. no more pain at all. Sometimes a little tight but no issues. Although the Dr. said yesterday i am good to go just take things in moderation. if it hurts , dont do it. if its sore then stay st that range and slowly work up. At 6 months it will be better then now at 4 months. And completely healed at 12 months.
    Physical therapy was the Key in healing. and most of all Patience<<< ( very hard)
    I am now back in the gym lifting.I Warm up the rotators first everyday, been doing Legs, back exersizes, shouldr exersizes but No front raises at all and only side raises with 5 lbs, Tried chest last night and did 75 lbs and it felt like 250. LOL and did flys with 10 lb dumbells and that was enough. Sore yes but did them slowly and all is good. Chest exersizes and overhead lifting will be the main climbing issue as that will take time with healing. Mainly it will be keeping loose and building up the rotator strength. I will check in once again in a month to keep yall updated with progress. At first i was not glad i did this operation but not having the pain is much better. Although having to basically start off as a novice with weight lifting till its strong enough to lift is a big pain in the ass. It is what it is and i am over all in a good place without the constant pain. i can even sleep on that side of my body now with no issues. God bless. if any questions give me a shout.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    go op, go!

4 months and full range and no pain? What did they do, remove a splinter? That's unheard of. It's been almost 2 years for me and I have probably 90% ROM but not without a little pain/discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    4 months and full range and no pain? What did they do, remove a splinter? That's unheard of. It's been almost 2 years for me and I have probably 90% ROM but not without a little pain/discomfort.
    Ok the Dr. ground down the acromium point as he called it, removed bone spurs and since i had a 50/50 tear of the rotator he had to cut it free and ancho it back in place.
    I started Physical therapy 4 weeks after surgery and it was not easy and i thought i would never make progress but they pushed me and I pushed myself.
    The eliptical machine at the gym once they oked me to walk on it helped me as i just let my arm travel back and forth with no pressure on the arm bars that move. That seemed to keep the muscle moving and created strength in the shoulder area promoting stability.
    I hear al the horror stories and know im not 100% yet but i am taking it slow at the gym working out.
    I warm up the rotators with cable exersized first off every day. Then just do what i can and not pushing the envelope. The other day i benched 75 lbs.. A lot less then the 385 i used to bench but at least i could do that. slowly i will get stronger. curling 25 lb dumbells, lat pull downs 80lbs and ect. i again am just doing what i can and like the Dr said once he totally released me last Wednesday. If it starts to hurt, back off. If its slightly sore then just stay at that range for a few weeks untill its not then move up if i can. No im not deadlifting or any shoulder presses or anythingreally over head yet but i do shrug a 45 lb plate in each hand for shoulder workouts and i can do upright row with 30-40 lbs. like i said these are my results and i guess i am considered luck because of the horror stories i hear about people a year or years down the road still hurting. any questions, feel free to ask me.

SteveUK is offline Associate Member
    I just want to say very well done. And congrats on the recovery.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt calling you a liar or anything. I think it's great and was being a sarcastic about the splinter joke.

I know all about shoulder surgery. Mine was almost 2 years ago and they did everything listed above and a little more. My doctor was/is the best in the state. He is the head orthopedic surgeon for our NFL football team. Maybe you have heard of them, Seattle Seahawks. Dr. Khalfayan.
    2 days until D day. April 17, going under the knife

I had the full workup done before surgery with the MRI with contrast dye. After the surgery it was funny, he was almost excited to tell me that it took 2x longer than he had figured and instead of going in from just the front he had to make an incision in the back of the shoulder also. He said the MRI didnt show 1/2 of the damage that was there.

You can look at my history of post and see my write up on it as well as pictures he took during the surgery that shows some of the damage.

I stated physical theropy 2 days (yes 2 days) after surgery. I only wore my sling for less than a week. He is very happy with my ROM just a couple months after surgery but it's still nothing like it was 5 years ago but it's a lot better than it way 3 years ago. Only problem is no my right shoulder is starting to hurt worse and worse and I'm not doing anything to aggravate it. He did say just by looking at xrays that my right should had a lot more arthritis in it than my left.

I think most people who have a lot of problems after surgery is because they kept it in a sling to long and did not do proper physical therapy. I spent the first 4 months dont PT but stopped because I felt I could do it myself by then and also wanted to take a break because the PT just make it hurt/ache every day. Taking a break was a good thing IMO. I did more PT after about 8 months for a while. I mostly just do stretches and light WT for now. Hopefully I will be able to hit it a lot harder soon.

I wish you the best of luck on your recovery and hope you get to 100% soon. It's good not to push it to much. I dont think I have but some days I'm not so sure. lol TB500 helps me quite a bit as long as I remember to take it properly.

I have also had 2 back surgeries, L3, L4 the 1st time 2006 and L5, S1 the 2nd time 2008.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 01-14-2014 at 02:18 AM.
    TASSY5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TASSY5 View Post
    Hey guys, UPDATE time::: ok right at 4 months to the day of surgery. Full range is back. no more pain at all.
    Wow! I want to go to your doctor!

Thread Information