Combat Vet 11B is offline Junior Member

First time tanning booth user

Ok so I'm from WI, which means I'm pretty white, lol. The gym I go to has a standing tanning booth that I have yet to utilize. Is there a certain lotion I should use or anything I should take prior to entering the booth? Also what would you recommend for timing? I heard 5 minutes three times a week, but it wanted to run it by you guys/girls first. This forum has helped me out a ton with everything else so I know any feedback on this issue will be useful. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    There should be knowledgeable staff at your gym that can answer this if they offer the tanning bed to members. Tanning beds have different specifications and wattages, like microwaves, some cook faster than others. They will also look at your current complexion and recommend time based on bed and whiteness

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    There should be knowledgeable staff at your gym that can answer this if they offer the tanning bed to members. Tanning beds have different specifications and wattages, like microwaves, some cook faster than others. They will also look at your current complexion and recommend time based on bed and whiteness
    Ok, sounds good.

Any lotions I should avoid or try to find?

MArz123 is offline Junior Member
    I think the lotions are a scam...i feel like i tan way better and faster with no lotion ...a lil red right after but after that settles in by the next day the redness is gone and tan has set in nicely .

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I Iused to use a tanning accelerator lotion that really worked and didn't turn me orange.

Oki-Des is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't worry about the lotions. Just start out for a short time and build up the time once you have a base. You can go everyday, but once you burn you have to take some time off to heal. So just make sure you go slow and you will be fine. : )

hekki is offline Junior Member
    Just like your diet when eating read the ingredients. You want to stay away from lotions that have water as the first ingredient. The first ingredient is the most out of all while the last being the least of all. Oil based lotions like aloe vera and coconut oil and others don't dry as quickly and help keep your skin moisturized which you want because when your skin dries it starts to brake down quicker and your tan goes away quicker. You want to start with a bed that does UVB rays rather than UVA rays. UVB rays are good for developing a base tan. UVA rays cause your body to produce more of the chemical that causes your skin to darken in pigment. UVB rays tan the chemical that is already in your body and makes it tanner. Hope this helps

Giggle is offline Female Member
    Go SLOW at first! Especially if you are sorta white, be careful the first couple of visits.

swansong is offline New Member
    A general rule of thumb is to wait 48 hours between tans. I have used lotion in the past but they tend to be very expensive, and you can still get a tan without lotion. Again, refer to the salon's instructions to help you.

Friesian is offline Junior Member
    If you're not used to the sunbeds then I would recommend you are very careful if you plan to use them immediately after your workout. Because your blood should be running closer to the surface, it will enhance your ability to tan. However, that can be a double-edged sword as it can also cause you to burn if go in for too long.

franks3188 is offline New Member
    Agree with Friesian, be carefull if using straight after a workout,
    i remember years ago when i first started using them..jumped straight in after a 2hr gym sesh..didnt even think to drink water..had to come out half way through and was lying naked on the floor in the fetal position..

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franks3188 View Post
    Agree with Friesian, be carefull if using straight after a workout,
    i remember years ago when i first started using them..jumped straight in after a 2hr gym sesh..didnt even think to drink water..had to come out half way through and was lying naked on the floor in the fetal position..
    I'm sure after 5 months...he's probably figured it out.

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    Do not put on oil based 'tanning oils' when using a bed, it damages the acrylic bed.

DEFINITELY moisturize when you're done, use a good lotion - I like to use the Australian Gold Hemps stuff.

Friesian is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    I'm sure after 5 months...he's probably figured it out.
    Agreed, OP will no doubt know what they are doing by now. However, I made my post based on the fact this thread appeared the most recently active query at the time and therefore would be the one new users would be most likely to read. Sometimes it's not just the OP that should be considered.

Thread Information