Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Might have torn my pec. Will I ever be able to box again?

The other day I was doing flat bench press and I didn't really stretch out or warm up as good as I should. Any way I did (for me any way) really heavy weight. I was planning on doing a set of 5 but on the third one, I felt my right shoulder and pec give out and I yelled for my spotter to take it.

After that, my right shoulder, tricep, and pec was in severe pain. Even my hand was tingling. Obviously, I stopped my workout. I went home took some motrin and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up and it felt alot better. But my right pec was swollen BIG TIME. I can move my arm in every direction but I tried doing one push up and I couldn't even do it because my pec hurt so bad. NOT ONE PUSH UP! And my pec hurts so bad that I tried to throw a punch (I used to box and still hit the bag 3 times a week) and I can't even do that because it kills.

I went to see my doc today and she said it looks really swollen but she doesn't think it's torn because I still can move it every which way. But she gave me a referell to get an MRI tommorow morning.

My question to you guys is, I wanted to start boxing again but obviously this has put a halt on things. Lets say I have a severe strain or minor tear and have to go to physical therapy for a little bit. Will I eventully be able to throw a good hard right hand punch again?

I really want to start boxing again by the summer.

gellert32 is offline New Member
    When you tear you pec the fibers which build the muscle rupture, or rip apart, THIS IS EXTREMLY PAINFUL! But there are varying degrees from a strain to a full tear.
    The symptoms of a tear are…
    • Severe pain in the chest and surrounding areas.
    • Swelling, bruising and severe discoloration
    • Completely loss of vertical lifting power, or considerable decrease.
    • Loss of mobility, specifically your horizontal/vertical mobility.
    A lot of tears occur when lifting heavy weights, especially when your muscles are cold. But I don’t think you have torn your pec, you said you have full mobility that’s a great sign however the MRI is a good idea. Once you get the results you will be recommended physical therapy and you should go do it. You might be required to have the arm immobilized for some time, follow these instructions too. Also ice the injury as much as you can this will help with pain and the healing process.
    As far as returning to boxing; if you follow the rehabilitation program and get proper rest and icing you should make a full recovery once you have done that you can make you return to boxing and lifting. But remember to warm up properly and stretch.

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    The other day I was doing flat bench press and I didn't really stretch out or warm up as good as I should. Any way I did (for me any way) really heavy weight. I was planning on doing a set of 5 but on the third one, I felt my right shoulder and pec give out and I yelled for my spotter to take it.

After that, my right shoulder, tricep, and pec was in severe pain. Even my hand was tingling. Obviously, I stopped my workout. I went home took some motrin and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up and it felt alot better. But my right pec was swollen BIG TIME. I can move my arm in every direction but I tried doing one push up and I couldn't even do it because my pec hurt so bad. NOT ONE PUSH UP! And my pec hurts so bad that I tried to throw a punch (I used to box and still hit the bag 3 times a week) and I can't even do that because it kills.

I went to see my doc today and she said it looks really swollen but she doesn't think it's torn because I still can move it every which way. But she gave me a referell to get an MRI tommorow morning.

My question to you guys is, I wanted to start boxing again but obviously this has put a halt on things. Lets say I have a severe strain or minor tear and have to go to physical therapy for a little bit. Will I eventully be able to throw a good hard right hand punch again?

I really want to start boxing again by the summer.
    Get the MRI its the best way to see what is going on uner the skin. I hope the best for you ,good luck

I went to see the ortho today. He looked at my chest and had me do some range of motion tests and said that he doesn't think it's torn but probably just strained real bad. He had me take an MRI and will share the results with me in a couple of days.

He said I should ice the pec for 20 minutes at a time every 2 hours and take 800 mg of motrin 3 times a day with food. He also said it wouldn't hurt to go to physical therapy 3 times a week.

Lastly, he said I could return to weightlifting/boxing in 4-6 weeks.

Things are looking good. He doesn't think it's torn, but lets hope the MRI says the same.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 03-23-2006 at 08:07 PM.

That’s great news man, did he recommend you immobilize it until the results are in… as I said in my previous post I agree with the original assessment that it is in fact not torn. However, it could be slightly torn or really badly strained. Be careful with it, keep up the icing and follow up with physical therapy it will get you back faster and allow to regain all of your strength.
    If you respond well to therapy you may even be able to return to lifting/boxing even faster, but MAKE SURE YOU AFE FULLY HEALED
    Good luck with everything keep me posted

ward065 is offline Member
    That sounds like a fairly good report from your doc......i know many times people can be out of comission much longer.

In the future, if you ever get the slightest pain that does not feel right , STOP THE WORKOUT! I came close to injuring my pectoral muscle not too long ago- I stopped the workout immediately. I did not train chest for 2 weeks, and all was better. The injury was not so bad that i could not train at all though- but if it's bad enough it is a good idea to do a complete layoff, like your doc said

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    its torn. sorry to be the asshole. but when i tore my tri my first doc said it wasnt and the ortho said that ANY swelling means its torn. A strain would not cause swelling, cuz for there to be swelling tissue must be damaged TO SOME EXTENT(even if not major), therefore it's torn. A strain can even mean a "minor tear". Either way, its torn, its just the difference between alot, and little. But without getting mixed up in defenitions lets actaully define "strain". A strain(and i don't mean "minor tear") is when the muscle is taken too far out of range while under tension, and therfore spasms and coils up, causing a certain kind of pain. The neck is often the most strained group if muscles aside from the pecs because of the way the strands criss cross each other and sometiems pull at each other unevenly.
    Pain without swelling is a strain. Swelling and pain is a tear. but sometimes(in my case), the pain doest last long, nor does the swelling, a few days, then its gone. that doesnt mean it didnt tear. The swelling on minor tears doesnt last long. try to jump into the weights again right after it stops swelling, and be prepared for something worse.

best of luck.
    let us know how bad the MRI says tear is and if its major.
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 03-24-2006 at 02:15 PM.

Well the MRI report came back today. I have a minor tear. To quote the report exactly...

"There is evidence of a moderate to moderately severe diffuse strain/intrasubstance tear throughout the right pectoralis major muscle..."

I started physical therapy today. My therapist looked at my report and said that this a common injury among weightlifters and he is optamistic that I will be back to training within a couple of months. He said for the first 6 weeks, I will be doing no weightlifting or boxing, just icing, lots of 800 mg motrin, and his physical therapy work 3 times a week. After 6 weeks of that, he will get me back into weightlifting VERY slowly with alot of reps and no heavy weight. I will do that for 6 weeks. Than, come June, he said I should be able to go back to boxing training full time. He said, depending on my rehabilitation, it might be sooner.

I just hope I will be able to throw a decent punch with my right hand again. Anyone know of any boxers that had this kind of pec injury and were able to come back and still throw decent punches? What do you guys think? Is this good news? Based on what I told you guys, will I be able to start boxing again by the summer?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 03-25-2006 at 05:27 AM.

i think you should be A okay bro. Stay positive. its a small tear.

Thanks bro. Anyone else have an opinion on my outlook?

I'm so depressed. I wanted so bad to start boxing again this summer. I had a bad year and I thought training for boxing would make me happy. I haven't had a match since 1998 and I haven't sparred since 2003.

I hope this injury heals and I can acheive my goal of one day having another amateur boxing match.

dude i used to shootfight, and i knew guys who had biceps torn right off the bone, ACL reconstructions, all kinds of shiit, and they still came back. even if it takes time, so what? you'lll be back eventually. 3months was the point where most of the guys even with bad injuries started train again.

That’s pretty good news bro…stick with the rehab and icing, you will be okay and come back 100 percent.
    Good luck with the rehab.

My goal is to do 6 weeks of physical rehab/therapy and than 6 weeks of weight training and than hopefully I will get back into boxing. That's 12 weeks before I put on gloves again.

I pray to God that I will one day be able to throw a right hand punch again.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Also, has anyone here ever had this type of injury? How long until you were able to start training again? How long until you returned to full strength?

Any advice or experiences would be great.

pattymac931 is offline Junior Member
    i tore my pec in 2 places about a month ago i play lacrosse and able to play but no liftin its sore time to time and very agiirevating but doc said same thing for me slowy get back to liftin

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Well the MRI report came back today. I have a minor tear. To quote the report exactly...

"There is evidence of a moderate to moderately severe diffuse strain/intrasubstance tear throughout the right pectoralis major muscle..."

I started physical therapy today. My therapist looked at my report and said that this a common injury among weightlifters and he is optamistic that I will be back to training within a couple of months. He said for the first 6 weeks, I will be doing no weightlifting or boxing, just icing, lots of 800 mg motrin, and his physical therapy work 3 times a week. After 6 weeks of that, he will get me back into weightlifting VERY slowly with alot of reps and no heavy weight. I will do that for 6 weeks. Than, come June, he said I should be able to go back to boxing training full time. He said, depending on my rehabilitation, it might be sooner.

I just hope I will be able to throw a decent punch with my right hand again. Anyone know of any boxers that had this kind of pec injury and were able to come back and still throw decent punches? What do you guys think? Is this good news? Based on what I told you guys, will I be able to start boxing again by the summer?
    that is a good mri report, you hould be back in the ring by the summer!i dont know any boxers who came back from pec tears,buti do know powerlfiters who made comeback from very sever tears to press over 500lbs again

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Pamper it bro, dont rush into training because u dont want it to keep coming back, do your physical therapy but give it the rest it needs, If u know a MMA fighter called Phil Baroni he tore his pec muscle completly and had surgery and rehab and ever since he still is fighting and actually just KO'd a Japanese famous fighter called Kondo today!!! Its never over man!

I was told that scar tissue will form where the tears were. So 6 months from now, do I have to worry about working out and the scar tissue tearing. Basically what I'm asking is, somewhere down the line, is there a chance I can re-injure this pec?

Doc says 5 more weeks of physical therapy and than 6 weeks of light weightlifting, and than he said I should be ready to get back into boxing.

So 11 weeks before I can start boxing. Is the schedule I laid out a realistic time frame for this type of injury?

pelly789 is offline Member
    listen to your body it all depends everyone is different rest and taking care of it is going to be just about all you can do for a while just dont jump back into it too quick or you could do more damage good luck with it keep us updated on the situation

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    The scar tissue could be tricky because although its almost as good as the real thing, it does tend to hurt more and cause weird feelings that make u think its about to get re-injured or that it is still not healed, i had a tear in my tricep tendon and after a long time it finally healed but it still always hurt when i leaned my arm on a desk or really anything pressing on my elbow made it feel like it was about to tear again, the scar tissue will give u pain and phsycological complications if its a big tear, but u need to slowly work your way back into weights until u realize u can life again and nothing is wrong.

So basically I'm screwed.

Smart-tony is offline Member
    You can always go see a RMT for deep tissue massage it will help out big time.

I have been going to physical therapy and they have been massaging it. I'm just afraid that after this gets healed, I'll never have the strength or flexability in that side of my chest that I once had. Basically, being a former boxer, I'm afraid any punch with my right hand won't be as fast or strong.

I'm also afraid that somewhere down the line, the scar tissue on my chest won't hold up and I'll tear it again.

VIPER82 is offline New Member

Similar problem

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a sprained lattisimus dorsi muscle on my right side. Hope all goes well for you, chest injuries are hard to overcome, at least in my experience.

give it time, you will be fine, i know alot of people including myself who have made comebacks from injuries worse than this. be positive!!!!

My physical therapist said I'm making progress. He said now that the swelling has gone down alot, in addition to my sessions with him (ultra sound, deep tissue massage, stretching, etc.) he said at home I could start using moist heat for 20 minutes, than right after do my stretches, and than ice for 20 minutes. He said this will help speed up the healing process.

I have 4 more weeks of physical therapy. As you will see below, I have a game plan.

My road to recovery looks like this:

1) Injury happened Tues. 03-21-06

2) Got MRI Thurs. 03-23-06 and found out that it was a partial tear and that it wasn't a full tendon tear (Thank God)

3) Started physical thearpy, icing, and taking 800 mg of motrin 3 times a day with food Fri. 03-24-06

4) Started using moist heat in addition to icing Thurs. 04-06-06

5) Will stop physical therapy, stop taking motrin, and will stop using moist heat and icing Mon. 05-08-06.

6) Also at this time, Mon. 05-08-06, I will begin light weight lifting. All chest and serratus exercises will be 3 sets reps of 16,14,12 (increasing weight each set). I will do this for 4 weeks.

7) Mon. 06-05-06 I will do all chest and serratus exercises 3 sets reps of 14,12,10 (increasing weight each set). I will do this for 4 weeks.

8) Mon. 07-03-06 I will do all chest and serratus exercises 3 sets reps of 12,10,8 (increasing weight each set). I will do this for 4 weeks.

9) Mon. 07-31-06 I will do all chest and serratus exercises 3 sets reps of 10,8,6 (increasing weight each set). I will do this for 4 weeks.

10) Mon. 08-28-06 I will do all chest and serratus exercises 3 sets reps of 10,8, and 1 last set to failure (should be around 6 reps) (increasing weight each set). I will do this for 4 weeks.

11) Mon. 09-25-06 I will begin boxing training (This will be about 6 months after I suffered my injury)

12) I hope to have an amateur fight by Christmas.

Well guys, does this look like a realistic timeline? Do you think this injury will take longer to heal than I planned? Is there a chance it could heal faster than I planned?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 04-10-2006 at 04:42 PM.

My physical therapist said I'm making progress. He said now that the swelling has gone down alot, in addition to my sessions with him (ultra sound, deep tissue massage, stretching, etc.) he said at home I could start using moist heat for 20 minutes, than right after do my stretches, and than ice for 20 minutes. He said this will help speed up the healing process.

I have 4 more weeks of physical therapy and I hope by mid June this injury is healed. So basically I hope 10 1/2 weeks from today, this thing is healed. As you will see below, I have a game plan.

My road to recovery looks like this:

1) Injury happened Tues. 03-21-06

2) Got MRI Thurs. 03-23-06 and found out that it was a partial tear and that it wasn't a full tendon tear (Thank God)

3) Started physical thearpy, icing, and taking 800 mg of motrin 3 times a day with food Fri. 03-24-06

4) Will start using moist heat in addition to icing Thurs. 04-06-06

5) Will stop physical thearapy Mon. 05-08-06 but will keep using moist heat and icing at home and will still keep taking motrin.

6) Also at this time, Mon. 05-08-06, I will begin light weight lifting. All exercises will be 3x15. I will do this for 6 weeks.

7) Mon. 06-19-06 I will stop icing and heating and I will stop taking motrin.

8) Also at this time, Mon. 06-19-06, I will go back to my regular sets and reps routine (10,8,6 etc.). I will also start boxing training again.

9) By late July/early Aug. I plan on sparring again and by early Sept. I plan on having my first amateur fight since August of 1998.

Well guys, does this look like a realistic timeline? Do you think this injury will take longer to heal than I planned? Is there a chance it could heal faster than I planned?
    doesnt get any better than that program, it was very well thought out and planned, it is a very realistic time line and it should work great, everyone does heal at diiferent rates, some quicker than others, but 12wks is a long rest, i wouldnt be suprised if you started to feel like you can get started after 8 wks, stick with the plan, wait 12 wks and by august you should be good to go

Hey Doc, you have been a great help.

But as usual, I have some more questions:

1) I know everyone is different, but how long does it usually take for a partial pec major tear to heal? Mine happened March 21, at what time do you think it will be healed.

2) I heard that once the scar tissue is formed, it will be extremly hard for me to tear my pec in this place again, is this true? If so, this is good, right?

3) Right now I can't throw a punch with my right hand without the pec killing me. And I don't want to aggravate it, so I don't even try. With the time line I laid out, do you think by my desired goal of June 19 I should be able to throw a punch without it hurting me?

4) Will I ever be able to hit as hard and as fast as I once did with my right side again? (straight right, overhand right, right uppercut, etc.) or did this injury weaken those punches for good?

5) My injury happened on Tues March 21. Since than I have been going to physical therapy. My physical therapist said I could go back to light weightlifting on Mon. May 8 (the day I'm done with my physcial therapy) to do really light lifting (3x15). That will be almost 7 weeks since I injured this muscle. My question is, how do I know if the pec tear is healed or not so I can start lifting? I don't want to start lifting on May 8 if its still torn. That will make it worse. Is 7 weeks long enough before I go back to really light lifting?

6) I changed my timeline for recovery, could you please go over this new one and let me know what you think? It should be two posts above this one. I edited the last one.

Thanks in advance bro!
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 04-09-2006 at 03:02 PM.

replies are in btwn the questions
    Hey Doc, you have been a great help.

But as usual, I have some more questions:

1) I know everyone is different, but how long does it usually take for a partial pec major tear to heal? Mine happened March 21, at what time do you think it will be healed.

6MONTHS TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON HOW SEVERE AND IF PROPER THERAPY WAS DONE, IN YOUR CASE, PROBABLY ABOUT 6 MONTHS

2) I heard that once the scar tissue is formed, it will be extremly hard for me to tear my pec in this place again, is this true? If so, this is good, right?

IT WILL BE HARDER TO TEAR, BUT IT MAY ALSO LIMIT R ANGE OF MOTION AT FIRST, BUT WITH HOW YOU ARE HANDLEING THIS, THAT SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM

3) Right now I can't throw a punch with my right hand without the pec killing me. And I don't want to aggravate it, so I don't even try. With the time line I laid out, do you think by my desired goal of June 19 I should be able to throw a punch without it hurting me?
    VERY POSSIBLE, YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT BY HOW YOU FEEL, IT IS POSSIBLE BUT I AM NOT THE GREAT KRESKIN, I CANT BE ABSOLUTELY SURE

4) Will I ever be able to hit as hard and as fast as I once did with my right side again? (straight right, overhand right, right uppercut, etc.) or did this injury weaken those punches for good?
    WITH TIME, YOU SHOULD BE ABLR TO
    5) My injury happened on Tues March 21. Since than I have been going to physical therapy. My physical therapist said I could go back to light weightlifting on Mon. May 8 (the day I'm done with my physcial therapy) to do really light lifting (3x15). That will be almost 7 weeks since I injured this muscle. My question is, how do I know if the pec tear is healed or not so I can start lifting? I don't want to start lifting on May 8 if its still torn. That will make it worse. Is 7 weeks long enough before I go back to really light lifting?6- 8 WKS IS USUALY THE NORMAL

6) I changed my timeline for recovery, could you please go over this new one and let me know what you think? It should be two posts above this one. I edited the last one.I RE-READ IT, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU RESUME YOUR NORMAL LIFTING. LISTEN TO YOU BODY THAT MAY BE A BIT EARLY BUT THE WAY YOU ARE HANDLING THIS, IT SHOULD BE OK

Thanks in advance bro!

as far as the amateur fight goes, it is a good goal to train for.make sure you feel you are 100% recovered before you get in the ring. your other question, at wk 7 how will you know if you are ready for light lifting, only way to know is to try, if it is painful when lifting stop immediately and go back to the PT and describe to him/her how it felt

crazzyleggs is offline New Member
    i made a quick little video of what you shouldn't have any issues doing post pec surgery once the you are out of the sling. the surgeon gave me the ok to start shadow boxing at week 10

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Kq4HrN_thCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think he's probably healed up by now. This thread was from 2006 dude.

Thread Information