Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tcw
  • 1 Post By SOL!D5NAK3
  • 1 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Stretching and Strength----Your Opinion ?

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member

Stretching and Strength----Your Opinion ?

Interesting Read on Stretching and Injuries.

"One, a study being published this month in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, concluded that if you stretch before you lift weights, you may find yourself feeling weaker and wobblier than you expect during your workout. Those findings join those of another new study from Croatia, a bogglingly comprehensive re-analysis of data from earlier experiments that was published in The Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. Together, the studies augment a growing scientific consensus that pre-exercise stretching is generally unnecessary and likely counterproductive."

"(Subjects) ...are less powerful, with power being a measure of the muscle’s ability to produce force during contractions, according to Goran Markovic, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Zagreb and the study’s senior author. In Dr. Markovic and his colleagues’ re-analysis of past data, they determined that muscle power generally falls by about 2 percent after stretching."

LINK

I usually FIRST do a total body warm up before hitting the weights and usually stretch between Sets...I don't know if this is right or not...BUT, i've been W/O for over 30 yrs...the last 10, i've been doing the warm up, stretch between sets routine.

Opinions-Thoughts?

SOL!D5NAK3 likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    There's validity to it. You want just enough flexibility and mobility to get the proper range of motion for each lift. In the squat for example you want your hamstrings loose enough to get proper depth. Arbitrarily increasing the flexibility of your hamstrings though will reduce the stretch reflex at the bottom, reducing rebound, which ultimately affects the weight you can squat.

I tend to do mobility work, foam rolling, dynamic warmups/stretches, and lacrosse ball work before lifting and if I want any static stretching done I'll do so after my workout and only enough to ensure I get better range of motion when needed.

SOL!D5NAK3 is offline Associate Member
    the title is misleading. i thought it will improve it. good info doe thanks
    tcw likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    By stretching prior to training you will alter the stretch reflex of the muscle which will reduce strength/power. Plus by stretching a cold muscle you risk injury. Stretching after training when warmed up will enhance circulation and healing. On non-workout days I stretch in a hot shower or sauna......never just cold.
    tcw likes this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I think it depends to a degree whether there are any preexisting injuries/trauma. I generally do a decent amount of back and lower body stretching pre- lift and some muscle specific stretching between sets due to old age/high mileage of my body and joints after I have spent enough time on the treadmill that I have broken a sweat.
    If I didn't, I would definitely be weaker because past experience has taught me that I will not be able to perform as well. Also, I go for deep tissue massage and do some foam rolling on a regular basis.
    Again, that's just my experience as an older lifter and may not apply to someone focused on PL.
    tcw likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Hey Solid,...you gotta read the "fine print" in all articles. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SOL!D5NAK3 View Post
    the title is misleading. i thought it will improve it. good info doe thanks
    Yeah man...i am still learning....after 30+years of W/O. Stretching works when the body is "warmed up" (blood flow circulating).

I've also learned that "over-stretching" is bad too. I'll look up the article on that one too.

~T

Thread Information