Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bartman314

Thread: Shoulder alignment

jrock1942 is offline New Member

Shoulder alignment

I am a 24 year old male 6'1". 185lbs 15%

When was about 12 years old I broke my collar bone something fierce. The bone healed over a few months but unfortunately, not back into it's original position. This hasn't really bothered me until I started lifting about a year ago. I've noticed that my shoulder sits slightly more back than my non injured side. It's sitting back enough that my range of movement does not match the other shoulder. I can feel a lot more muscle engagement on the side that isn't injured. This has caused my injured side to grow slower making my upper body slightly unbalanced. Further worsening the problem.

My question is, has anyone had experience with this type of injury? I would like to know of this is something that may be able to be re aligned with physiotherapy and strength training alone? Or is this something that would require surgery?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
    Jrock

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock1942 View Post
    I am a 24 year old male 6'1". 185lbs 15%

When was about 12 years old I broke my collar bone something fierce. The bone healed over a few months but unfortunately, not back into it's original position. This hasn't really bothered me until I started lifting about a year ago. I've noticed that my shoulder sits slightly more back than my non injured side. It's sitting back enough that my range of movement does not match the other shoulder. I can feel a lot more muscle engagement on the side that isn't injured. This has caused my injured side to grow slower making my upper body slightly unbalanced. Further worsening the problem.

My question is, has anyone had experience with this type of injury? I would like to know of this is something that may be able to be re aligned with physiotherapy and strength training alone? Or is this something that would require surgery?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
    Jrock
    Hey Jrock, I haven't necessarily broke my clavicle... But have had 3 surgeries on my R shoulder(tore labrum in hlf and 3 other tears along w/my rotator cuff)... I would never advise someone to get the surgery if you can hold off as long as possible(unless the pain is unbearable then you might have to go thru w/the surgery at some point for sure)... But PT should be your first goal and wirk from there! I have to minipulate my body into different positions in order to hit certain muscles b/c my ROM is so bad!

My bad shoulder also sits lower and farther back(my scapula was also broke on that side as well) making it very hard to do any type of overhead presses(must use machines which suck but it is what it is)... Now I need a total reverse joint replacement and have lost 85% of my connective tissue in that shoulder(so as I kept working out its gotten worse)... This is just my experience and know that shoulder surgery is harder to recover from due to it being the most freely moving joint in our bodies(thus making it harder to recover and strengthen back up!

Good luck w/whatever you decide!

~Nach

Hey thanks for the response and input NACH3. I will defiantly be going with physio

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    seeing a pt can't hurt, but it sounds like you have a basic structural problem with the joint.

i have severe traumatic arthritis in one shoulder and, thus also have a basic structural problem - just different from yours. my surgical option is a shoulder replacement, which will really limit my activity and i want to delay as long as possible. i've been lifting seriously with my bad shoulder for about 10 years now, and have developed a basic workout that results in good size/strength without (significant to me anyway) damage to the joint.

i've integrated bands for working the rotator cuff muscles and a variety of chest/shoulder exercises that focus a lot on dumb bells to make sue i can work each side to failure. it's interesting at this point, my bad side is stronger than my good side (but it kind of moves around depending on my relative overall injury state - it's tough lifting heavy when you're old).

so... the PT is fine, but i think you'll only get ideas on how to minimize the difference, not eliminate it. my 2 cents is to use dumb bells and isolated exercises.

good luck!
    NACH3 likes this.

Hey bartman314 thanks for the advice! I have been using dumbells and even a single cable to help isolate it. I think I'll continue with that and see how she goes.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have to say that has always been a thorn in my side how doctors tend to no re align the color bone when it breaks. I know several people who broke theirs and the doctor let it heal very crooked. Of course it is going to cause some type of problem down the road...

If it was me I would see about finding a doctor who was willing to re break it (while you are knocked out) and align it properly.

Thread Information