Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member

Extreme pain in right arm socket after lateral pulldowns

As the title suggests, my right arm is effing painful at the moment. It feels like its been yanked out of its socket. I was doing some heavy lat pulldowns yesterday and didnt feel anything unusual and continued my workout as normal. I got home last night and my arm started to hurt. By 11pm I was in agony and barely slept a wink all night. I couldnt find a position that didnt make it cane. I mean its really damn painful. I cant even lift light weight objects in my right arm at the moment.

No idea what i've done. I always do lat pulldowns as part of my back workout and never had an issue before.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    Where exactly is the pain? Any painful clicking or popping? Does it feel weak or unstable? Did you feel it dislocate?

Hi mate, the pain is inside my shoulder, like behind the deltoid. No clicking or popping sounds and I certainly didnt feel it dislocate. I didnt feel anything after completing the exercise bcos I continued with my workout. The pain just crept over the next 5-6 hours.

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic
    Hi mate, the pain is inside my shoulder, like behind the deltoid. No clicking or popping sounds and I certainly didnt feel it dislocate. I didnt feel anything after completing the exercise bcos I continued with my workout. The pain just crept over the next 5-6 hours.
    This sounds so similar to my rotator cuff tear. It was hours later. It felt like a fire:Heat from deep deep inside. I could lift anything. Trouble with carrying my purse.

I hope for your sake it goes away!!!

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post

Well that's good that there's no clicking, popping, or dislocation. Still a little concerned about the pain you're feeling inside the shoulder joint though. Pain felt deep inside the joint can often be a sign of labral pathology, but you don't appear to have any of the other tell tale symptoms of a labral tear.

The shitty thing about shoulders is that referred pain can really make it tough to determine where the injury really is. If it doesn't improve with a few weeks of rest I'd start to be concerned about something being torn.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    This sounds so similar to my rotator cuff tear. It was hours later. It felt like a fire:Heat from deep deep inside. I could lift anything. Trouble with carrying my purse.

I hope for your sake it goes away!!!
    What sort of recovery was it for you with a rotator cuff tear? I've had some remarkable improvement yesterday and today, but it's still painful. A lot more movement though. I'll be spewing if its anything serious. I only just got over a shoulder problem that required 2 cortisone injections.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    What sort of recovery was it for you with a rotator cuff tear? I've had some remarkable improvement yesterday and today, but it's still painful. A lot more movement though. I'll be spewing if its anything serious. I only just got over a shoulder problem that required 2 cortisone injections.
    I've torn my labrum in hlf and 3oyher tears as well as my rotator cuff! I now need a total reverse joint replacement! Lost 85% of my connective tissue...

It does sound like a rotator cuff issue or even a tear in the labrum(sounds structural to me) ROM bad and worse? My worst pain is in the rear delt as well! If suggest PT b4 any surgery if you can wait(regarding the options they give)! Get a few opinions and go from there... Also Jobe and rotator cuff excersises will help strengthen the rear delt where problem is... It won't hurt

I wish you all the best and do not wish any of this on anyone! It's very painful as the shoulder is the most freely moving joint in our bodies!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Do you really want to know what was required for her to recover? Same as a lot of us, surgery.

Whatever you do do NOT try to work through it or run a cycle during. I pushed through for about 1yr.

Ice it quite a bit, several times a day and lay off of it 100% for a few weeks. Then start up by doing light cable rotator cuff work and/or band work. Yeah it sucks but the alternative is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Do you really want to know what was required for her to recover? Same as a lot of us, surgery. Whatever you do do NOT try to work through it or run a cycle during. I pushed through for about 1yr. Ice it quite a bit, several times a day and lay off of it 100% for a few weeks. Then start up by doing light cable rotator cuff work and/or band work. Yeah it sucks but the alternative is worse.
    Yup. I had rotator cuff surgery. I tried the cortisone shot route but just too painful to lift the bed sheet. The surgery was the easy part! All that time for rom and physical therapy.

I was having pain in the other shoulder until someone here recommended certain warmup exercises. Necessary!

Thanks for the replies. It feels as if it's coming good though I've been off gym since Friday which sucks. The only action causing discomfort at the moment is a vertical movement such as a seated dumbell press exercise. I'll give it a few more days and see where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic
    Thanks for the replies. It feels as if it's coming good though I've been off gym since Friday which sucks. The only action causing discomfort at the moment is a vertical movement such as a seated dumbell press exercise. I'll give it a few more days and see where I'm at.
    Seated db presses is sign it's rotator. Maybe rest is all u need along with warm up when u start back.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Out of curiousity, where you pulling the bar down in front of your head....if so, how far down do you pulll it?

If you were pulling it behind he head, that's a different movement and will attack a different area of the back and delt.

I would lay off any upper body work and better yet, stay out of the gym for at least 1 week. No tossing weights around, no push down machines, no nothing. If you need to excercise, take a walk, and no wild swinging of the arms with hand-weights in tow. Complete rest is best. Maybe, just Maybe, you have a dis-located shoulder that will (or may have) popped back into place. If it is this, it will take a few weeks, maybe months to heal fully. If its a rottator cuff tear, it may heal (if its a slight tear) but the only way to determine this is through an MRI.

1. i would rest 2wks min.
    2. when you get back to gym, i would try some rotator cuff exercises and see how that feels. If you feel any weakness or pinch, STOP. Go the Dr's and get an MRI of your shoulder. Better to know what's going on----

~T

I normally do a few sets pulling the bar behind my head and then a few pulling it to my chest to hit the lats.

It feels good now, virtually no pain, jut a bit when my arm is vertical. Huge relief. Had enough physio and surgery. No idea what I did though, seems it was just a strain of sorts.

Thread Information