Thread: ac seperation

skinin_bonz is offline Junior Member

ac seperation

7 weeks after surgery....total sepreation and e erything that holds collar bone in place got strecthed out. Collar bone was 3 inches displaced. Doc said the only way it could be worse was for it to poke through skin. and torn cartilage in ball joint.
    At 6 weeks doc said lose the sling.... I havent stopped aching since. The weight of the arm pulling on my shoulder is uncomfortable at best. Hard to sleep. Doc said no exercise or strecthing yet. Just light use.....real light. Any advise for pain? Anyone have similar injury? Full recovery? Mine pops all the time in the ball joint.

kinetixtrainer is offline Junior Member
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I had the exact injury in '03. Went to an orthopedic surgeon. I had a complete tear. Collar bone free floating out there and all. I was pretty devastated and thought my lifting days were over.

The doc actually didn't recommend the surgery to me. And actually had to talk me out of it. I did not want a damned deformity in my shoulder. But he did convince me not to have the surgery.

It took several months to heal. I literally started back with just leaning against the wall and pushing off. But once it healed I have full range of motion and full strength on lifts. Still have the deformity. But really only visible if I do a shoulder stretch by pulling my arm directly across my chest.

It's now been over a decade and no arthritis or pain. I'm interested if your doc spoke to you about the possibility of not having the surgery.

But to your question, I would imagine your recovery time maybe more lengthy due to having the surgery and having that new Cartledge supporting the weight of your shoulder. I slept on my left side or on my stomach. Never on the side of the injury. Ibuprofen, ice it when needed and an occasional hydro codon when needed.

I suspect you to make a full recovery. But def take it easy let it heal. Good luck

skinin_bonz is offline Junior Member
    A decade ago my doc said it would of been a frankinstine scar. Plates and screws.
    He said mine would be twise as strong a fix and it was 4 small incisions and a scope.
    Srilled and pinned and pulled everything back in place. Good to know a full recovery in possiable.
    Iwant to get back to work soon .

SidVicious77 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinin_bonz View Post
    Iwant to get back to work soon .
    Do NOT get back into lifting until you are fully healed and be prepared for it to take longer than you'd like. If you had a good surgeon, then your shoulder will get back to a 100% but it takes time. My operated shoulder is actually bigger than my non operated one now (not the same injury ad yours, they had to burr out my AC joint because it was jammed together, but I have a bunch of anchors in there just like you.)

Shoulder popping sounds like an imbalance between internal and external rotators. Once you get the go ahead from your doc, look up a good stretching and strengthening routine to balance them out before you start regular shoulder/chest workouts.

Thread Information