Thread: torn meniscus

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

torn meniscus

So this is what I have. Confirmed with mri.

Ortho surgery probably in july.

From what I have been reading about this...most people can live with this injury and have nothing done.

I am on my feet all day moving side to side quiet often. Which might affect it some.

But recently the pain is pretty bad. Hurts to bend at all times. Walking at times feels like it's going to buckle underneath me.

When I went to orthopedic originally told him syptoms, he immediately said torn meniscus. So sent for mri.

My question is when he got the mri does he look for other issues or did he go straight for the meniscus and not worry about anything else?

It's bothering me that everything I read up on, this injury should not be affecting me like it is.

Am I just being a bi××h, is my job making it worse...or could there be something else...and I should bring it up to the ortho.

Proximal is offline Banned
    They should check all structures, ask them, I'm sure they'll confirm this. Some people can live with it if it is minor and if they live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but they will have good and bad periods.

Torn meniscus can be very painful and limiting, particularly because it is a weight-bearing structure and if you are on your feet all day, those two things don't work together, sorry.

Are you getting it repaired or a partial removal - big difference in recovery time.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    They should check all structures, ask them, I'm sure they'll confirm this. Some people can live with it if it is minor and if they live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but they will have good and bad periods.

Torn meniscus can be very painful and limiting, particularly because it is a weight-bearing structure and if you are on your feet all day, those two things don't work together, sorry.

Are you getting it repaired or a partial removal - big difference in recovery time.
    Ty and this is first time I am hearing this.

My doc didn't tell me much honestly. He said he suggests getting orthoscopic (spelling) surgery. All he said in and out patient surgery.

On crutches first day...able to walk next day.

Have you had this?

I'm a chef...so on my feet at least 8-13 hrs a day. And moving vonstently

MrFreshmaker is offline Productive Member
    You should check for the ligaments surrounding the knee too,cuz torn meniscus doesn't cause those problems! I lived with torn meniscus for 12 years,and I didn't had any problem,unless I jumped or played soccer,but i was not heavy as you,maybe the weight plays a role,don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFreshmaker View Post
    You should check for the ligaments surrounding the knee too,cuz torn meniscus doesn't cause those problems! I lived with torn meniscus for 12 years,and I didn't had any problem,unless I jumped or played soccer,but i was not heavy as you,maybe the weight plays a role,don't know!
    Lmao...how big do you think I am....

And this is what's confusing me. You say u never had issues....and he said it could cause seriously pain and limited movements.

I don't want to call the ortho and question him which is another reason why I am asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    Lmao...how big do you think I am.... And this is what's confusing me. You say u never had issues....and he said it could cause seriously pain and limited movements. I don't want to call the ortho and question him which is another reason why I am asking here.
    I torn meniscus in 2000( i fell from a cliff) and i removed it in 2012.As i said,I didn't had problems walking etc,unless i jumped or kicked anyone lol!
    After the arthroscopy,i can jump,play etc,but i can't squat heavy,cuz there is a weird feeling on the knee and a slight pain!
    Arthroscopy is piece of cake,you can walk after 2 days,and no pain at all after the surgery.

P.S. Proximal mentioned repairing,but i don't think torn meniscus can be repaired,unless you're a rich guy and they can put an implant,which costs a lot anyway!
    As i said,tell doc to check MRI for any damage on ligaments too.

Thanks mrfresh. ..

I'm gonna call the ortho this week hopefully. ..

Proximal is offline Banned
    Sorry, but a torn meniscus can easily be completely debilitating depending on the severity of the tear. And actually meniscal repairs are very common and not exclusively for the rich. An MRI focuses in on the joint and should include all structures, just speak with your ortho doc. Yes arthroscopic surgery is likely in your future, but again find out if he is going to repair it or not.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80 View Post
    So this is what I have. Confirmed with mri.

Ortho surgery probably in july.

From what I have been reading about this...most people can live with this injury and have nothing done.

I am on my feet all day moving side to side quiet often. Which might affect it some.

But recently the pain is pretty bad. Hurts to bend at all times. Walking at times feels like it's going to buckle underneath me.

When I went to orthopedic originally told him syptoms, he immediately said torn meniscus. So sent for mri.

My question is when he got the mri does he look for other issues or did he go straight for the meniscus and not worry about anything else?

It's bothering me that everything I read up on, this injury should not be affecting me like it is.

Am I just being a bi××h, is my job making it worse...or could there be something else...and I should bring it up to the ortho.

Talk with your ORTHO again and clarify all your concerns. You may even want to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIN View Post

Talk with your ORTHO again and clarify all your concerns. You may even want to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.
    I was thinking second opinion. ....

I have the DVD of mri. Would another doc view this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80
    I was thinking second opinion. .... I have the DVD of mri. Would another doc view this?
    It's the radiologist that understands and reads images of the MRI,not orthopedist.Ortho can read only the description provided by the radiologist.Except the DVD,do you have the description by radiologist too?

Easyroller is offline New Member
    I tore my meniscus in my right knee when i was 21/22 and i was working in the gym as a trainer at the time. The pain sucked but i lived with it for a few months just thought i was a minor tweak or something I continued to lift i was doing legs 315 for sets of 12 throughout the whole time. I went to see a surgeon and he said meniscus sent for a mri and told me i needed surgery because i was only 21 i decided to get another doctor to look at it he told me that the pain may subside one day and that surgery isnt 100% necessary so i opted to not have surgery as time went on the pain went away and now i notice nothing in my knee. And i can still lift heavy without worrying too much. So its all upto you i dont know your pain tolerance but mine is relatively high so i just manned up and continued living life hoping it went away which eventually it did

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No brainer - just get it fixed. You basically walk out of the surgery center once it's done with no rehab. My pain came with fluid retention at the rear of the knee from it being torn. That's why I had it done and it sounds like you might be experiencing the same thing...

So much conflicting opinions and that's wear I'm torn between.

When I posted this the pain was there...maybe a 7ish at the time.

Now what it's been over a week. And pain is there but almost like a 3 or 4. Now. And not even close to content like it was.

Think.my job had a lot of effect on how my knee feels.

Like I said can't get the surgery anyways till June ish...maybe july.

We will see how often the pain hits a 7 and that will make my decision I guess.

Appreciate everyone's comments and opinions

Alta is offline Associate Member
    I'm on the fence on this one.

I have no MCL on my left knee, partial ACL and partial PCL. I have never had surgery, I have always gone the physio route and done a lot of muscle strengtheing and it worked for me.

Last week I blew my knee out in the gym. No idea how, but at some point doing deadlifts, squat cleans, double unders, box jumps or wall balls I did my ACL again. It came on slowly which was really weird, every other time I did my knee it was an impact in sports. Over the course of a week it went from painful, to can't move and completely swollen/locked. Almost zero range of motion.

My theory is the last 20 years of avoiding surgery has just prolonged the inevitable. I need my meniscus and MCL repaired, or I'm heading for full knee replacement. I just started a round of HGH to see if that helps, but I'm almost thinking I bite the bullet and get it repaired.

Good luck man, knee problems SUCK. It's depressing not being able to run and train.

Question for everyone.

Would pressure (meaning touching, using fingers putting pressure on inside of the knee) hurt with this injury?

It's definitely my job that affects how this feels. I have been absolutely fine last week or two. But in last 3 days I have worked 40 hours almost. And back to wear bending and movements hurt.

So was messing around and touched a spot that sent me out of my chair.

Alta is offline Associate Member
    Absolutely! There is a pressure point my physio likes to poke right on the side of the joint where (I think) the meniscus protrudes.

"Does this hurt"? *poke*

"FUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGG"

Thread Information