• 2 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By zenvost1
  • 1 Post By Marsoc
  • 1 Post By zenvost1
  • 1 Post By InternalFire

Thread: Can I train with pinched nerve?

zenvost1 is offline Associate Member

Can I train with pinched nerve?

I have pinched nerve in my elbow now can I train or I should rest?

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zenvost1 View Post
    I had something very similar few weeks ago, I trained around it, however most of that was annoying as hell as I couldnt even properly load barbell with plates for legs routine. I woukd suggest just take it easy and let it heal first
    zenvost1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    I had something very similar few weeks ago, I trained around it, however most of that was annoying as hell as I couldnt even properly load barbell with plates for legs routine. I woukd suggest just take it easy and let it heal first
    Its really annoying. Did you have tingling in your ring finger?

I couldn't grab hold on to anything and by moving fingers turning wrist I had electric-like shockwaves going throughout my palm down my forearm, it is annoying as hell man, now some weeks later I still have minor tingling left in there but just few % compared to what it was. I can again carry heavy stuff and lift heavy despite some feeling still remains but its now ok compared to before.

are you using anything like vitamins, minerals are you on TRT or cycle at the moment?

The electric wave is the worst part of this injury.

Off cycle at the moment just a multivitamin
    And glucosamine hoping fix this injury in some way.

well, I was digging in to this and one of few ways fixing such injury is being put on some steroids (dont know, could have been talked about corticosteroids) or could be of AAS nature too, and electro stimuli therapies etc.
    Im on TRT 125mg/week, and also taking 5g MSM for last few years, (also almost every other vital imaginable vitamin and mineral for that matter) but I think the most contributing factor in my part of healing was MSM and TRT... I am just guessing.

Man, I know about the damn frustrating feeling of the electric sensation going trough the arm, wasnt able to type or move without the discomfort, was terrible at first, but less I used my arm it appear to heal quicker, so thats why advice on not doing anything with it.

If youre not taking MSM, you could try mega-dosing this ~10-20g a day split out trough the day, it supposedly is very good for joints and all connective tissue, in addition to what you take and glucosamine.
    zenvost1 likes this.

I took b complex shots hope it work.

I use glucosamine and chondroitin plus msm but It upset my stomach if I use more than 1500mg of each so I use 3000 to 5000mg as max.

How long took you to heal?

good 2+ weeks of doing nothing physical with that hand. I also spread my MSM and supps in half dose in the AM and half in the PM to have more stable levels/less of a shock to stomach/body.

PS: note my damage vs. your damage can not be equal, its just of a similar nature, so its mostly a guess work.
    zenvost1 likes this.

I think my injury is less than your injury bc I can do 200lb bench but it's risky I don't want end up in surgery I will try to increase the msm.

Thank you for the help I appreciate it.
    InternalFire likes this.

I expect it to help.

See I had no issue with pushing movement unless I extend and lockout elbow firmly, I could push barbell no problem, but where it came to pulling movements or wrist flexing it wasnt cool stuff.

Try google search or youtube search for some nerve injury videos there should be few guides helping you identify what could be your diagnosis and what should you do about it, that would be something for info gauging, otherwise you should have it checked by your doctor.

Good luck
    zenvost1 likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can also try some heat and some light to medium stretching. The pinched nerve is likely due to inflammation in the area rather than an acute injury to the nerve. Ibuprofen will help too.
    zenvost1 and almostgone like this.

I tried them and I feel better thanks God I thought it will need surgery
    InternalFire likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Glad you are doing better man.

Thanks

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    You may be able to train around it and find exercise that don't aggravate it.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    I don't know. Can you lol. Or should you ...id imagine you should rest so you don't cause more damage with awkward lifting etc
    ironbeck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    I don't know. Can you lol. Or should you ...id imagine you should rest so you don't cause more damage with awkward lifting etc

I tried light weights but it looks like o should rest for a long time 2 month maybe
    InternalFire likes this.

I tried light weights but it looks like o should rest for a long time 2 month maybe
    take it easy bud, dont stress the nerve by overloading, just work with anything but the movements that involve that nerve. heal first, then go at those muscle fibers again carefully
    zenvost1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    take it easy bud, dont stress the nerve by overloading, just work with anything but the movements that involve that nerve. heal first, then go at those muscle fibers again carefully
    Thanks.

CrossOps is offline Associate Member
    Just make sure you treat it, most make the mistake of working around it, but there are some longer term issues that can in fact arise such as peripheral based neuropathy, a precursor to carpal tunnel, and the infamous tennis elbow. If left untreated (and if it does not work itself out) for to long it will absolutely lead to fluid build up around the pinched nerve and ultimately scarring. I know as I medically discharged 2 guys in 4 years for it (it was severe enough). Scarring can and most likely will interfere with functionality in that area, albeit small, its still there.

You should absolutely be taking ibuprofen if you can (its a pretty benign NSAID) but it does work. If that does not work, step it up to a Cortico.
    Last edited by CrossOps; 10-14-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossOps View Post
    Just make sure you treat it, most make the mistake of working around it, but there are some longer term issues that can in fact arise such as peripheral based neuropathy, a precursor to carpal tunnel, and the infamous tennis elbow. If left untreated (and if it does not work itself out) for to long it will absolutely lead to fluid build up around the pinched nerve and ultimately scarring. I know as I medically discharged 2 guys in 4 years for it (it was severe enough). Scarring can and most likely will interfere with functionality in that area, albeit small, its still there.

You should absolutely be taking ibuprofen if you can (its a pretty benign NSAID) but it does work. If that does not work, step it up to a Cortico.
    It's more than a month now and I didn't train any triceps exercise. I learnt from my mistake when I had simple pain in my shoulder but I didn't care after doing 100lb dumbbell press I got rotator cuff injury but thanks God I became fine now.

Now I still have pain in my elbows 2 weeks ago I noticed fluid build up in my elbows but I was on ibuprofen and it goes away now the pain it's less but not 100% fine I will give it another month hoping it became fine.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    One other thing I would suggest is to look into flossing your elbow. Do a YouTube for "voodoo floss". It really helps.me.when I have some elbow issues.
    If it doesn't clear up soon, you may want to consider a corticosteroid injection as mentioned above.
    Ibuprofen works well, but when it doesn't do the trick, I switch to Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) or Cataflam (diclofenac potassium).
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    One other thing I would suggest is to look into flossing your elbow. Do a YouTube for "voodoo floss". It really helps.me.when I have some elbow issues.
    If it doesn't clear up soon, you may want to consider a corticosteroid injection as mentioned above.
    Ibuprofen works well, but when it doesn't do the trick, I switch to Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) or Cataflam (diclofenac potassium).
    Ibuprofen work with even with low dose like 200-300mg.

Flossing elbow that's new to me will check it hope it helps. I prefer to not take elbow injection also I heard it's painful.

Thank you for the help.

Thread Information