Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elastica

Thread: Pain in wrist circled area

  1. #1
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452

    Pain in wrist circled area

    Ok so I circled where my wrist has been hurting ever since I started lifting again. I never had this issue before. It feels like it's bruised ther is a bone right where it hurts as if it got hit with something but I haven't hit it. It will hurt if for instance I try to touch my thumb to the side of my wrist or if I open my hand and pretty much toggle my hand to the inside of my wrist. Wtf is this becuause its pretty annoying when working or whatever and I'm grabbing something or doing anything really when I bend it a certain way

    Wtf !! Attachment 166205

  2. #2
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Check out de quervain's tenosynovitis or intersection syndrome.

    If you use your smart phone a lot with your thumb extended, for long periods, holding the phone its probably de quervain's tenosynovitis (just had it myself).

    There are quite a few diagnosis videos about it on youtube.

  3. #3
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    I mean lately I been typing away mainly on an iPad though..I think it started when in starts using the bowflex. Just gripping

  4. #4
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Dang man. It's weird cuz I mainly text with my left index /"pointer finger." And my right thumb.
    I read something about it and said it was a disease. Hmm OK then. Or can pass KY be cause by hormonal changes.they said from swelling. But mine isn't swolen

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cat Island
    Posts
    700
    Blog Entries
    6
    Issue could be tendon, muscle or bone related. Do you ever work your pronation/supination muscles? or in your case more importantly radial/ulnar deviation? I'm the only person in my gym doing such exercises but they have saved my ass on several occasions when a drill spun out on me.

  6. #6
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Issue could be tendon, muscle or bone related. Do you ever work your pronation/supination muscles? or in your case more importantly radial/ulnar deviation? I'm the only person in my gym doing such exercises but they have saved my ass on several occasions when a drill spun out on me.
    Don't know what that is off the top of my head

  7. #7
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Dang man. It's weird cuz I mainly text with my left index /"pointer finger." And my right thumb.
    I read something about it and said it was a disease. Hmm OK then. Or can pass KY be cause by hormonal changes.they said from swelling. But mine isn't swolen
    Im no doctor, but the place you pin point on photo looks like de quervains tenosynovitis, had it very recently so I know what you are talking about when you say sharp, intense pain. Recently has been being called 'blackberry thumb'. Happen when you over use the extensor and abductor tendons of the thumb (extension position on the pic below), causing thickening and inflammation of the tendon which causes pain trying to pass through the synovial fluid compartment. Basically the tendon does not fit in the compartment, the added friction will increase the problem.

    Pain in wrist circled area-thumb-movements-kls-edited.jpg

    It is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome, although it in the 1st compartment of the wrist.

    How long ago has it started? And has it been getting worse?

    My opinion, go directly to a hand specialist surgeon for a proper diagnostic and treatment, if its tenosynovitis ask for a injection of corticosteroid into the sheath of the first dorsal compartment. It will fix it in 2-3 days, although if you don't stop doing what caused it it will come back and probably need surgery.
    Last edited by Mr.BB; 11-08-2016 at 06:09 AM.

  8. #8
    600@50's Avatar
    600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    With the 100 lb plates.
    Posts
    1,913
    Alternating heat and ice for a week or so. Back off the training some to give it a break. If it hurts don't do it. Glucosamine, chondroitin and msm daily. Ibuprofen as needed for inflammation. Just make sure to take with something in your stomach. Start some light stretching but not to the point of pain. You may also want to wrap your wrist to give it some support and avoid further strain. It should start to feel better in a couple of weeks. If not then either see a doc or stop all training and see if it gets better.

  9. #9
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    If you have pain at the Finkelstein's test the diagnostic is pretty much done:


  10. #10
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Im no doctor, but the place you pin point on photo looks like de quervains tenosynovitis, had it very recently so I know what you are talking about when you say sharp, intense pain. Recently has been being called 'blackberry thumb'. Happen when you over use the extensor and abductor tendons of the thumb (extension position on the pic below), causing thickening and inflammation of the tendon which causes pain trying to pass through the synovial fluid compartment. Basically the tendon does not fit in the compartment, the added friction will increase the problem.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumb-movements-KLS-edited.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	166256

    It is similar to carpal tunnel syndrome, although it in the 1st compartment of the wrist.

    How long ago has it started? And has it been getting worse?

    My opinion, go directly to a hand specialist surgeon for a proper diagnostic and treatment, if its tenosynovitis ask for a injection of corticosteroid into the sheath of the first dorsal compartment. It will fix it in 2-3 days, although if you don't stop doing what caused it it will come back and probably need surgery.
    Pretty much started as I was easing into trining again in the past 4 months. I don't type much with my left thumb mainly left index and not right thumb.

  11. #11
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    If you have pain at the Finkelstein's test the diagnostic is pretty much done:

    It's def what I have then. Couldn't even bend all the way down before lots of pain

  12. #12
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    It's def what I have then. Couldn't even bend all the way down before lots of pain
    The only thing that helps a bit is ibuprofen, but really not much.

    Avoid at all costs to do thumb extensions.

    Like I said before I found a hand surgeon who gave me a local corticosteroid shot, in 3 days I was completely healed. Sorry but many times it doesn't heal by it self, or take months to do so, cause the tendon is inflamed, making it occupy more space which adds friction inflaming it even more.

    For me it took about 2 months until it became unbearable, even tried a splint with zero sucess, ice and hot patch useless too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cat Island
    Posts
    700
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Don't know what that is off the top of my head
    Its the exercises he is doing with the sledge, at the gym I use the cable straight bar attachment. Sledge radial/ulnar deviation and pronation/supination exercises start at 1:50.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cat Island
    Posts
    700
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post

    My opinion, go directly to a hand specialist surgeon for a proper diagnostic and treatment, if its tenosynovitis ask for a injection of corticosteroid into the sheath of the first dorsal compartment. It will fix it in 2-3 days, although if you don't stop doing what caused it it will come back and probably need surgery.
    Corticosteriod injections, aside from surgery, should always be a last resort.

  15. #15
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Its the exercises he is doing with the sledge, at the gym I use the cable straight bar attachment. Sledge radial/ulnar deviation and pronation/supination exercises start at 1:50.


    I do so much griping. Not sure if I need to do the thing. I.e. Labor etc

  16. #16
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Its the exercises he is doing with the sledge, at the gym I use the cable straight bar attachment. Sledge radial/ulnar deviation and pronation/supination exercises start at 1:50.


    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Corticosteriod injections, aside from surgery, should always be a last resort.
    Seems, you are not very familiar with de quervain's tenosynovitis. Those exercises will do nothing to help as the problem is in the thumb extensor/abductor tendon.

    Do a bit of research, it doesnt hurt.

  17. #17
    elastica is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    36
    There's PT that can help De Quervain's too. Some people have success treating it with prolotherapy. It is important to rest from movements that cause the pain, splinting can help even if it is just a reminder. I had this in both wrists, tried lots of stuff but still ended up needing surgery on one.

  18. #18
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Seems, you are not very familiar with de quervain's tenosynovitis. Those exercises will do nothing to help as the problem is in the thumb extensor/abductor tendon.

    Do a bit of research, it doesnt hurt.
    I was thinking that will make it worse. I.e more strain etc. or forearm workout if anything.

  19. #19
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by elastica View Post
    There's PT that can help De Quervain's too. Some people have success treating it with prolotherapy. It is important to rest from movements that cause the pain, splinting can help even if it is just a reminder. I had this in both wrists, tried lots of stuff but still ended up needing surgery on one.
    Surgery. Fuck. Pardon my language. But man seems like inflammation. That needs surgery ...wow. Hopefully I can get the cortisol shot

    So wht is it exactly. Just strain from something and then it can't repair on its own aside from no use of that wrist or a steroid etc. ..why can't it heal

  20. #20
    elastica is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    36
    No offense here. It usually is an inflammatory condition. As Mr. BB described, the tendon is surrounded by a sheath. There is irritation as the tendon glides through the sheath, and instead of gliding smoothly it grips and catches in places. Sometimes you may feel it hang up or hear it snap with movement.

    It can be caused by injury, stress from repetitive motion (it has also been called "washer woman's sprain," from wringing wet laundry), swelling (makes compartment more narrow, squeezing the tendon), and hormonal changes. I heard construction workers that run a jackhammer are prone to getting it pretty bad. Mine was completely random.

    I know a number of people who have had this and gotten complete resolution with rest and splinting. My case was pretty severe, but I have a lot of weird connective tissue issues secondary to other health problems. I splinted/rested/iced, then PT, and iontophoresis but no results. A year after symptoms started I got the first cortisone shot but everything came back quicky, and started in the other side.

    Can't stress enough to use a good hand surgeon if you go for the cortisone injection. I had a great GP who was good at injections, but misplaced the ones in my wrist.

    I had a total of 3 injections in each wrist. Maybe getting the injection in the beginning could have prevented the surgery, perhaps not. In the worse side there was a lot of calcification at the site of inflammation, which is probably why it wouldn't improve after so long.

    One thing I wished I had known about then was the use of systemic enzymes. They are supposed to be great for eliminating inflammation and the formation of scar tissue by cleaning up "debris" from the body. The is a lot of online info about "Wobenzym-N" if you want to read about it. I use a cheaper version of that with serrapeptase and it greatly decreases healing time for bumps and bruises.

    I'm usually dead against cortisone, but it is supposed to be pretty effective for De Quervain's if it doesn't resolve with rest and splinting.
    Mr.BB likes this.

  21. #21
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by elastica View Post
    No offense here. It usually is an inflammatory condition. As Mr. BB described, the tendon is surrounded by a sheath. There is irritation as the tendon glides through the sheath, and instead of gliding smoothly it grips and catches in places. Sometimes you may feel it hang up or hear it snap with movement.

    It can be caused by injury, stress from repetitive motion (it has also been called "washer woman's sprain," from wringing wet laundry), swelling (makes compartment more narrow, squeezing the tendon), and hormonal changes. I heard construction workers that run a jackhammer are prone to getting it pretty bad. Mine was completely random.

    I know a number of people who have had this and gotten complete resolution with rest and splinting. My case was pretty severe, but I have a lot of weird connective tissue issues secondary to other health problems. I splinted/rested/iced, then PT, and iontophoresis but no results. A year after symptoms started I got the first cortisone shot but everything came back quicky, and started in the other side.

    Can't stress enough to use a good hand surgeon if you go for the cortisone injection. I had a great GP who was good at injections, but misplaced the ones in my wrist.

    I had a total of 3 injections in each wrist. Maybe getting the injection in the beginning could have prevented the surgery, perhaps not. In the worse side there was a lot of calcification at the site of inflammation, which is probably why it wouldn't improve after so long.

    One thing I wished I had known about then was the use of systemic enzymes. They are supposed to be great for eliminating inflammation and the formation of scar tissue by cleaning up "debris" from the body. The is a lot of online info about "Wobenzym-N" if you want to read about it. I use a cheaper version of that with serrapeptase and it greatly decreases healing time for bumps and bruises.

    I'm usually dead against cortisone, but it is supposed to be pretty effective for De Quervain's if it doesn't resolve with rest and splinting.
    I had poison ivy so bad once they gave me a steroid injection of some sort and literally cleared it up before my eyes. So I think I react pretty good to it

  22. #22
    Ashop's Avatar
    Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    If you have pain at the Finkelstein's test the diagnostic is pretty much done:

    Good finds,,,thats what its sounds like to me as well.

  23. #23
    Mr.BB's Avatar
    Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    6,902
    The hand surgeon I consulted explained the possible treatments:
    1. PT, it can take a few months to see results and can not work and relapse.
    2. local corticosteroid injection, success rate of around 70%, can relapse. He only does 1 corticosteroid shot per site, as it weakens the tendon making it prone to snap.
    3. surgery, its an easy and fast procedure, 100% cure and it doesnt relapse.

    If you seek medical help, go directly to surgeon. I went first to another hand doc, he made me waste money on xray and ultrasound, which the surgeon laughed at saying it was unnecessary grgrrrgr.

    If you decide for the local corticosteroid shot he can do it at that consult, takes like 10 secs lol, but it is important to be done by experient doctor because he needs to put the medicine in the synovial fluid sheat (very small space), and a hand surgeon is a lot better at it then any other doctor. There is the alternative of ultrasound guided injection which has a 80% cure rate, but hard to find who does it and probably expensive.

  24. #24
    Marsoc's Avatar
    Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Camp lejeune
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    The hand surgeon I consulted explained the possible treatments:
    1. PT, it can take a few months to see results and can not work and relapse.
    2. local corticosteroid injection, success rate of around 70%, can relapse. He only does 1 corticosteroid shot per site, as it weakens the tendon making it prone to snap.
    3. surgery, its an easy and fast procedure, 100% cure and it doesnt relapse.

    If you seek medical help, go directly to surgeon. I went first to another hand doc, he made me waste money on xray and ultrasound, which the surgeon laughed at saying it was unnecessary grgrrrgr.

    If you decide for the local corticosteroid shot he can do it at that consult, takes like 10 secs lol, but it is important to be done by experient doctor because he needs to put the medicine in the synovial fluid sheat (very small space), and a hand surgeon is a lot better at it then any other doctor. There is the alternative of ultrasound guided injection which has a 80% cure rate, but hard to find who does it and probably expensive.
    Thanks so r u saying its possible to go away in its own. I swear the day after we talked about this at first. The bothersome and pain dropped like half.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •