Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member

PT for low back pain?

Has anyone done PT for low back pain? I'm looking to add some exercises.
    Background: I was moving concrete-forms 10 yrs ago. kinda like, picking up twisting and setting them down while my co-worker was walking the other ends around. We were just shifting his edge of the pile a few feet. It's the left of the two muscles on the belt line. It is shaped like a triangle. It usually never bothers me but, sometimes, it just kills me-for no reason I can tell.

Anton93 is offline New Member

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try a LOT of decompression (inversion table) and ice when it hurts.
    The back takes a long time to heal. I did the same like yours but doing packing drywall. 25 years later I finally had my 1st surgery, 2 years after that I had #2 on my back. Hopefully it's dont now and is 95% better.

DONT do like I did and try to do inverted situps when your back hurts. I ruptured L5/S1 dont that.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 01-17-2018 at 03:44 AM.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    Has anyone done PT for low back pain? I'm looking to add some exercises.
    Background: I was moving concrete-forms 10 yrs ago. kinda like, picking up twisting and setting them down while my co-worker was walking the other ends around. We were just shifting his edge of the pile a few feet. It's the left of the two muscles on the belt line. It is shaped like a triangle. It usually never bothers me but, sometimes, it just kills me-for no reason I can tell.
    Huge fan of PT for low back pain, IF you have a good therapist and he/she works directly with you. Therapy for acute flare should be limited with a lot of instruction on home exercises/stretches after they use some modalities to calm it down. If the therapists in your area can do dry needling I highly recommend it. It is nothing short of miraculous in some cases, and couple with some IFC (like a TENS only deeper) you can be rehabbed in no time.
    Core work will be paramount to keep low back/posterior chain balanced.

My low back looks like a train wreck on xray and worse than a lot of people on chronic pain meds, but I am pain free most of the time for the above reasons (well, hedge on core to be honest, but only because I hate it and my flares are rare now).

Don’t do any lifts that are compressive (squats, some shoulder press machines, etc.) until you are 100% pain free.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    Huge fan of PT for low back pain, IF you have a good therapist and he/she works directly with you. Therapy for acute flare should be limited with a lot of instruction on home exercises/stretches after they use some modalities to calm it down. If the therapists in your area can do dry needling I highly recommend it. It is nothing short of miraculous in some cases, and couple with some IFC (like a TENS only deeper) you can be rehabbed in no time.
    Core work will be paramount to keep low back/posterior chain balanced.

My low back looks like a train wreck on xray and worse than a lot of people on chronic pain meds, but I am pain free most of the time for the above reasons (well, hedge on core to be honest, but only because I hate it and my flares are rare now).

Don’t do any lifts that are compressive (squats, some shoulder press machines, etc.) until you are 100% pain free.
    Same here, Ill also ad that I have had good outcomes with both spinal manipulation (DC or DO) and PT. Granted this is typically in acute patients, whom are not weight trained but not always.

One reason is that the multifidus muscle starts to lose conditioning almost immediately and will lose 40% of its mass within two weeks of a low back injury from deconditioning. Getting combined spinal manipulation and neuromuscular re-education/stimulation is the best way to bounce back and keep reinjury from occurring in my opinion.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Same here, Ill also ad that I have had good outcomes with both spinal manipulation (DC or DO) and PT. Granted this is typically in acute patients, whom are not weight trained but not always.

One reason is that the multifidus muscle starts to lose conditioning almost immediately and will lose 40% of its mass within two weeks of a low back injury from deconditioning. Getting combined spinal manipulation and neuromuscular re-education/stimulation is the best way to bounce back and keep reinjury from occurring in my opinion.
    To go a little bit further, a weak body part may also have caused the injury. Soft tissue therapy or neurokinetic therapy may be all that is needed. I had issues in a hip muscle which caused the issue in the back muscle which had to be corrected prior to correcting my back.
    Even Dr. Stuart McGill recommends strengthening your core "retraining the glutes". The glutes play a very important role.

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have had low back pain for about 4 months now. It finally got so bad that when I stood up I couldn't stand up straight and had to stretch for a minute before I could walk. So I went to the doc (VA) and got an x-ray. I knocked a corner off my L4 back in 1983 and have arthritis in that joint. The x-ray showed that it's getting worse.
    The Doc sent me to physical therapy (PT). The first session she gave me a bunch of stretches and exercises to do, they made it hurt even worse. So I went to my non VA doc, they gave me steroids and muscle relaxers. I started them Tuesday then went back to PT yesterday (Wednesday). She gave me more exercises to do, did some manipulating of my spine and then did DRY NEEDLING. The dry needling did the trick almost instantly. She found the sweet spot and that muscle just started to violently spasm, but after about 25 seconds it calmed down stopped and relaxed. Walla fixed. Today I am doing 90% better.
    So I feel the steroids are helping with the inflammation from arthritis and then the needling relaxed the muscle!
    Last edited by bethdoth; 02-01-2018 at 10:14 AM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoag View Post
    I have had low back pain for about 4 months now. It finally got so bad that when I stood up I couldn't stand up straight and had to stretch for a minute before I could walk. So I went to the doc (VA) and got an x-ray. I knocked a corner off my L4 back in 1983 and have arthritis in that joint. The x-ray showed that it's getting worse.
    The Doc sent me to physical therapy (PT). The first session she gave me a bunch of stretches and exercises to do, they made it hurt even worse. So I went to my non VA doc, they gave me steroids and muscle relaxers. I started them Tuesday then went back to PT yesterday (Wednesday). She gave me more exercises to do, did some manipulating of my spine and then did DRY NEEDLING. The dry needling did the trick almost instantly. She found the sweet spot and that muscle just started to violently spasm, but after about 25 seconds it calmed down stopped and relaxed. Walla fixed. Today I am doing 90% better.
    So I feel the steroids are helping with the inflammation from arthritis and then the needling relaxed the muscle!
    I love/hate to be dry needled. It works but man can you get sore afterwards.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by rhoag View Post
    Congrats on your back. I run prednisone when my back gets bad. I find that keeping it stretched help me a lot. I also do lower back strengthening exercises, mostly dead lifts.

Thread Information