Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Neck crinkling called Neck Crepitus. Best way to treat?

Oldguysrule is offline New Member

Neck crinkling called Neck Crepitus. Best way to treat?

Hey members

About 2 weeks ago

I was watching a youtube video on single arm conc. bic curls, ya know where you put 1 hand on the knee to & the other curling a dumbbell?

My neck was to the left and I must have flexed the wrong way because my neck got a little stiff (no pain)

The range of motion was good even then

I did a hot shower on the area and laid in a warm almost hot tub of water with epsom salts, something you have to be careful not to do if you have a bad heart or your BP is naturally very high

So the stiffness went away, now I have this neck crinkling going on where, my neck is not stiff but as i move left or right, almost all the time, it crinkles (not pops), and on its own

So, I bought a DIY book called the McKenzzie method of treating your own wheter it be neck pain , back pain, he has a series of them

For neck pain he recommended turning the neck in a hyperextended position and even for back pain

So after hyperextening my neck all the way back so I face the ceiling-like, I started to feel and hear a lot less neck crinkling

I went a head and bought a Neck Traction system on ebay, it's 1 of those things chiropractorss have in their office where they sling over a door and put under one's chin and add water to a bag and it pulls the neck upwards

I really want to avoid going to a chiro right now, most places will send ya to an imaging center because I guess they can't afford in-office x-ray machines? idk that's too much going back n forth and I have to take care of my mother who is ailing

What the heart of the matter is, is I have to take care of a family member, she's 95 pounds in weight

I have to lift her from her bed onto her wheelchair, I'm going to wear a bodybuilding weight belt, and do a deep squat and lift with my legs, as well as maybe do what's called a "bride carry" which is what fire fighters use here in Arizona...

Am I at risk of making my neck and back worse taking care of a 90 pound relative this way?

To get an idea of my strength levels, I'm natty and I do about 75 pushups every other day all at one time, and I weigh 180 pounds at 5 feet 8 inches tall

Any help would be greatly appreciated....as in forget the bodybuilding belt get yourself those belts us postal workers got that lift heavy parcels ?

Thank u again
    Last edited by Oldguysrule; 07-26-2023 at 03:15 PM.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    It's your family, got to take care of your family. I've had a good bit of neck issues and surgery done on my C-spine. For decades I picked up our mastiffs ( some well over 200 lbs) and in my experience, I don't feel that contributed to my neck problems.
    For several years I carried my Mom in and out of dialysis 3x/week and managed just fine. At her last dialysis appointment before she passed she weighed a tad over 40Kg. Never had any problems from it.

Just treat the situation like you were doing deads or squats. Brace your core and lift wisely. I don't really see a belt being needed, but you know your limits.

I do think you are shortchanging yourself out by not seeing a good chiro. It's always wise to keep a good chiro, physical therapist, and massage therapist in your list of healthcare providers.
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-26-2023 at 03:31 PM.
    Oldguysrule and Af86 like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Oldguysrule is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    It's your family, got to take care of your family. I've had a good bit of neck issues and surgery done on my C-spine. For decades I picked up our mastiffs ( some well over 200 lbs) and in my experience, I don't feel that contributed to my neck problems.
    For several years I carried my Mom in and out of dialysis 3x/week and managed just fine. At her last dialysis appointment before she passed she weighed a tad over 40Kg. Never had any problems from it.

Just treat the situation like you were doing deads or squats. Brace your core and lift wisely. I don't really see a belt being needed, but you know your limits.

I do think you are shortchanging yourself out by not seeing a good chiro. It's always wise to keep a good chiro, physical therapist, and massage therapist in your list of healthcare providers.
    Thank you so much.

This pretty much answered my question in total

I'm going to make time for a chiropractor that has an x-ray in his office, will have to pay more but my health is priceless and someone near n dear depends on me
    Thank you again and
    God bless

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguysrule View Post
    Thank you so much.

This pretty much answered my question in total

I'm going to make time for a chiropractor that has an x-ray in his office, will have to pay more but my health is priceless and someone near n dear depends on me
    Thank you again and
    God bless
    Imaging is always great to have, but sometimes chiros and physical therapists can glean a lot of information just by how you move and how things feel with skilled manipulation.

Good luck!
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-26-2023 at 05:26 PM.
    Oldguysrule likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information