calstate23 is offline Banned

Shoulders are messed up! Anyone ever experience this??

I have had this annoying pain in my left shoulder (between where my front delt and chest meet) for about a year now. Now it has started to switch off to both shoulders. Went to chiropractor, said it was tendonitis. Used massage therapy and strecthed me out. It helped a little. But its still there. Hurts mainly on shoulder presses and incline chest, sometimes to the point where i will not even be able to do the exercise (feels super tight and hurts). Its depressing, shit will not go away! If someone has ever experienced something like this let me know or if you think you might know whats up, let me know

THANKS A LOT

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    I think I may have something similar to this right now, although not as extreme of a case... I was doing my chest workout the day before thanksgiving and felt like doing a heavy day, so I was doing my final sets for each exercise as heavy as possible for only 3-4 reps just as different shocker for the muscles... Last set of incline dumbell presses, my right shoulder started aching big time... It's still bothering me quite a bit, but is getting better... The pain is completely isolated on the anterior head and up where it connects to the clavical and pectoral, although my pec feels fine... I'm just taking it real easy and only went up to about 2/3 my normal weight on shoulder and chest day this week and only one set was that heavy... I dropped incline presses and front raises though too... There was no way I could do them without excruciating pain... I still managed shoulder presses as long as I kept to dumbells and had my arms as far back as they could go... It kept nearly all the pressure on my posterior and medial heads...

fitaccent is offline New Member
    I get very bad tendonitis in my elbows from time to time, usually from drinking too much and then arm wrestling. Very stupid, but the pain is real and I have no way to heal unless I take a couple days off except abs, legs, cardio. Doctor says cortisone shots are a temp fix, but it will come back worse and more screwed up. 1/2 hour ice, 1/2 hour heat(repeated for couple hours), and rest might be the best solution if nothing else. This is what my doctor always tells me.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    First thing...stop doing that. Stop doing all excercises that aggrevate the injury.

...i hear guys complain of injuries...and then they keep doing the same movement.

Try something that doesn't hurt....and keep it light. You may have a rotator cuff issue.

whatthehellizthat is offline New Member
    I have the same problem in my right shoulder. My chiropractor tells me it's a rotator cuff problem due to an inflamed biceps tendon. My shoulder only hurts when I'm warming up with flat bench or incline, but does not bother me once I load the bar with weight. Also my shoulder aches when I sleep on that right side for too long and when I try to move my arm in a tennis serving motion over my head.

I'm telling you all of this because you said that you're using massage and stretching to help alleviate the pain and problem. I tried that for my shoulder as well and it seemed to exacerbate the situation. Is it helping you?

BTW> My chiropractor did no real tests other than range of motion for his diagnosis. There was no immediate injury in my situation. It was a steady progression over about a month. I am currently doing rotor cuff exercises, but can't tell you at this point if it's doing any good yet.

kwozza is offline Junior Member
    The infraspinatus is the #1 cause for anterior shoulder pain. It is located behind the shoulder, but it is responsible for rotating the arm outwards, and seeings as you can't lift your arm above shoulder height without outwards rotation, it is easy to see why this muscle can affect your lifting.

The muscle basically covers your whole shoulder blade so lie down on the floor with a golf ball or tennis ball underneath your shoulder blade and very slowly move your body over the tennis ball until you feel an area of tenderness (there may be more than one). Once found, get someone to massage that point or keep using the tennis ball as a means of self massage. You should treat this area for only 30 seconds at a time, up to 5 times a day.

You should have near instant relief if this is the cause of your pain. Trigger points can be very tricky to find so make sure you move very slowly over the muscle to make sure you cover the whole thing.

ivrig is offline Associate Member
    Here's what doggcrapp believes can help (barely started this myself, but worth a try), but since you already seem to be in a lot of pain i don't know. Better to listen to pro's on the subject than doing matters worse..

Anyway:

"How to cure shoulder problems (Trust me this will do it 90% of the time)

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement--a large "rolled up like a rope" beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion. Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back--STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY--this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be "old hat" with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way---i want 50 reps each time you do this--one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)--the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight--do all of this carefully/slowly---dont just whip it over and back---if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)--again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully--push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back--your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise--Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can---sometimes I have people do it every single day---but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks--also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions--start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter--really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here--trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering "**** you dante" after you get to your 25th revolution--Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees ---Heres a pic attached to this post so you can get an idea (thanks to a trainee of mine who cured his shoulders with this)--but remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back (he just drew the start of the movement when you begin)"

Hope this helps..

J431S is offline Banned
    what doggcrapp believes can help!!??...ha! ha!

Quote Originally Posted by ivrig View Post
    Here's what doggcrapp believes can help (barely started this myself, but worth a try), but since you already seem to be in a lot of pain i don't know. Better to listen to pro's on the subject than doing matters worse..

Anyway:

"How to cure shoulder problems (Trust me this will do it 90% of the time)

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement--a large "rolled up like a rope" beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion. Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back--STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY--this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be "old hat" with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way---i want 50 reps each time you do this--one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)--the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight--do all of this carefully/slowly---dont just whip it over and back---if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)--again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully--push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back--your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise--Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can---sometimes I have people do it every single day---but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks--also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions--start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter--really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here--trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering "**** you dante" after you get to your 25th revolution--Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees ---Heres a pic attached to this post so you can get an idea (thanks to a trainee of mine who cured his shoulders with this)--but remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back (he just drew the start of the movement when you begin)"

Hope this helps..
    Last edited by J431S; 01-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by calstate23 View Post
    I have had this annoying pain in my left shoulder (between where my front delt and chest meet) for about a year now. Now it has started to switch off to both shoulders. Went to chiropractor, said it was tendonitis. Used massage therapy and strecthed me out. It helped a little. But its still there. Hurts mainly on shoulder presses and incline chest, sometimes to the point where i will not even be able to do the exercise (feels super tight and hurts). Its depressing, shit will not go away! If someone has ever experienced something like this let me know or if you think you might know whats up, let me know

THANKS A LOT
    hurts when you do chest and doesnt hurt or just very little when you do shoulders? hurts in the front between the front delt and the peck? hurts in the muscle ? that is right were pec minor is... you might have tear - (join the club!!) to get it fixed 4 - 8 months and you'll never bench heavy again... or just suck it up and no rehab stay light to medium and try decline and see if it hurts...

good thing is you cant really hurt it more... so, keep that in mind but you also dont want to keep stressing it out... so, here is what i do- (if you have what i have)

flat bench: i benched 385 for two before i hurt it...
    three warm up sets with 135 8 reps 10 reps and 12 reps
    three sets slow with 185 10 reps
    four sets with 225 10 to 12 reps, might hit 275 8 -10 reps and i dont push forced reps

for me dumb bells are out of the question, way to much pain,

decline
    same thing

incline i have done 295 for 4 reps
    if it hurts i dont do it... if it only hurts a little, and i mean just a little i do 135 for 10 - 14 reps, it feels light but i dont want to get away from that motion...

then i hit cables:

low

middle

high

if at that point i feal any pain when doing cables i dont do them...

hope that helps...

did chest yesterday and didnt do incline bench or middle or high cabels, total sets 24 -

Thread Information