microdiscectomay recovery?

A month ago I had a microdiscectomy at the L4, L5 position. I'm following the doctors orders to a "t" concerning my rehad but, I've still got a reasonable amount of pain and numbness. I'm gonna bring the issue up with the nuerosurgeon at my next follow-up apt but, in the mean time I was wondering how some of the members that might have had the same surgery, could give me some feed back on their own recovery. I know its been only three weeks but, I'm sure alot of you guys and gals are like me and just impatient when it comes to healing/being out of the gym. Peace

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I had my L5/S1 done a few years back. There was a slight decrease in the pain immediately and it got better and better over time. I was back to squatting 405 for reps within 1 year. If I had to do anything over in the rehab part I would have got more deep tissue massage on the lower back as I developed a bit of scar tissue which still causes me a bit of problems now and then.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I had L4-L5 done, after the surgery I had minor pain and numbness for a couple months, nothing like it was pre-op. Discomfort held on for a good 6 more months after that, but after that I rarely have issue. I occasionally move wrong, like if I get bumped sideways at the hip and I'm not expecting it, and I'll get a sharp pain in the same area but it seems just related to the movement itself, there is no lagging pain afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ya'lls recovery success is really encouraging. The fact that Fireguy stated that he was able to get back to the squat rack is the best news I've heard. God willing, I'll be back at the rack too. Thanks especially for giving me your recovery progress/ relative time frame. It'll be a big help to me guaging how other athletes in the sport recover from this procedure.

birdfan is offline New Member

Post Surgery

I've had the surgery (4 months ago). Make sure to follow orders and rest for 2-3 months as much as possible. If you don't you take the risk of re-hurting it (like I did). I got cocky because I felt good and started playing basketball and lifting and so the story goes. Rest, rest, rest. I've gotten 3 cortisone shots in my back since and it's helping but I would have been way further ahead had I been smart and rested for another month or so. It's not worth rushing back. You may also feel some pain here and there from the scar tissue build up. Be patient and you should be ok. Each case is different so judge for yourself...

Thread Information