Cagiest is offline New Member

Right Shoulder Pain When Doing The Bench Press?

Hello Everyone!

About 4 years ago I was lifting weights 4/5 times a week consistently for just over 2 years. Most of those two years was spent on lifting heavy weights only. However, over the last 4 years I have rarely seen the inside of the gym nor participated in any sports whatsoever.

Now for the last month I have gone back to lifting weights but I have only been doing light weights in order for me to get some stamina back before going on to the heavy weights. While doing the bench press I started getting this irritating pain at the top corner of the back of my right shoulder. The pain is not very severe and only lasts throughout the gym session. It does slow me down though and sometimes prevents me from finishing my workout. Once I've relaxed the pain is gone and the next day I feel absolutely fine. My right arm movement does not cause any pain. The only time I experience this pain is when I do the becnh press.

Please has anyone had this problem before or does anyone have any idea what can be done to prevent this? I can't stop working out for a long period as I am scared I will lose motivation and go another 4 years without training.

Thanks in advance!!

Shurik is offline Associate Member
    I had same thing and had to get surgery. It was separation of AC joint. I'm not sure about your case but thats what happened with me.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    there is a thread at the top of the forum about shoulder rehab injuries, read and try those... other things, try a wider grip on the bench and take off alittle weight, the wider grip puts less downward force on the joint... also maybe try dumb bell for a while instead of barbell, dumbbells usually allow the should joint and muscles to move around more, some people with rotator problems prefer DBs while rehab their shoulder but still doing bench movement..

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498

that link is just a demo, but those are the excerises i do before every bench day, i use the cable system and just adjust the height to the strech/warm up i'm doing and i have gone from having bad shoulders to have no pain at all.. i also do front and side laterals with dumb bells

Thanks for the replies!!

Just to update things, I have been getting a tingly feeling and numbness around my right shoulder and down the upper arm.

I have decided to rest from lifting completely for a week while taking voltaren (anti-inflammatory). If after a week I see no improvement I am going to the physio...

ClubberLangsUncle is offline Junior Member
    Dude, I had the same shit happen to me, started in my right shoulder and moved to my elbow. I actually went to have x rays thinkin I ripped something, it was just inflamation in the joints, took a few days off and some pills, and it slowly worked itself out. The doc told me that my connective tissues were growing and caused the problem.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Warm up with several light sets. Make sure you've got some blood flowing in your shoulders before you bench. Trys some lateral raises. Stick to dumbells for a while.

Ok, its been a week now. I have been taking Voltaren (100 per day) and vitamin B complex for the whole week.

I have not had ANY workout sessions whatsoever, and there was NO pain at all. I feel fine but for a slight discomfort. I am going back to the gym either tonight or tomorrow. I will be lifting the same weight (light weight) but gonna cut the repitions by half.

I really hope this will be pain free...

Thread Information