Jfew44 is offline Senior Member

Lower Back "pop"

Here's my situation. My lower back has been aching for awhile, mainly when I get up after long periods of sitting, or when I wake up in the morning. It tends to loosen up a little after walking around, but still hurts. I stopped doing all heavy exercises that involve my back (squats, deads, ect) until my doc appt (next week).

Yesterday I was doing shrugs, lifted the weight up about 2 inches and heard a pop. I dropped the weight and pain shot up my spine from my lower back to the upper middle part. I know this is something I need to get checked out with my doc, but my question is this:

Is it ok for me to still go to the gym and do, say, pullups, lat pulldowns, basically exercises that put no pressure on my spine? Am I doing more harm than good, or should I just stay out of the gym until my appointment?

Anyone with any knowledge about lower back pain (particularly with the spine as I doubt it is muscle-related) feel free to chime in because as much as I really want to get to the gym, I'm not sure if its worth it or not.

Thanks

Little too soon, but I'm bumping because I wanna go to the gym! Anyone?

Come on guys. No one has had this problem or knows anyone who has? Im done bumpin it Im just gonna work out tomorrow.

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    If you miss a few workouts because of your injury its not the end of the world. I'd rather take a couple of days off to rest, than having to take a month off because you fvcked up your back. Train smart.

Thanks for posting lol. I realize I need to be smart about it but it's really hard when on cycle to not want to get to the gym.

I just had a microdiscectomy on m L4 and L5. I ignored the pain and kept training by using dmso and taking fist fulls of loratab 10's. Do Not Do What I Did. If I would have gotten to a Doc. sooner I would have had much less pain and torture and a less complicated surgery. I got lucky though, and had and awesome surgen and, I have made what I believe to be a 75-80% recovery in just two months. Go to a doc and you can skip out on extra complications and painkiller dependency. Just a suggestion.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    done similar to my back. The pop is kinda like cracking your knuckles, but comes from the facet joint. Not likely a disc related problem you're having. No doubt you need to rest from the gym. I'm guessing you damaged some muscle, and the inflamation is causing the pain. I would start by taking a high dose of ibuprofen and 4-6 weeks off from any heavy load on your back and see how you feel. The ibuprofen should reduce the pain quite a bit within a few days if it's muscle related.
    Last edited by Kratos; 01-03-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Thread Information