Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

So I have a hyperbaric oxygen chamber that we use to help my daughter with a rare condition that she has, and I often wonder if it would offer any additional benefits in workout recovery.

In theory I know well enough that it should work like a miracle as the opposite effect which is altitude sickness from high elevation and low oxygen levels which causes the body to heal slow or not at all.

An oxygen chamber is said to create an atmosphere of what Earth must have been like several thousand years ago at sea level.

So my question is, does anyone else have experience with HBOT as a workout recovery method?

Even if not, could anyone provide any insight when the prime time would be after a workout to get in for a 1 or 2 hour session? Should I jump right in after a workout or go in on my off days or just the same time everyday?

Thanks

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes it would. Also look into H202 therapy. It is considered illegal to use before Olympic games (hyperbolic chamber) because yes it gives you more energy, faster recovery and many many many other benefits.

I would use it before and after workout...

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I can see the benefits. I just couldn't see myself in one of those things for two hours a day. Can you hook up a UV light for tanning? Would you be able to position a TV and some earphones for listening? Is there a way to get a laptop in there?

I know the Navy has decompression rooms, small, but if there were some kind of way to get some weights in there....?

Interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I can see the benefits. I just couldn't see myself in one of those things for two hours a day. Can you hook up a UV light for tanning? Would you be able to position a TV and some earphones for listening? Is there a way to get a laptop in there?

I know the Navy has decompression rooms, small, but if there were some kind of way to get some weights in there....?

Interesting question.
    If you want all that just take one room that has everything in it you want/need and make it air tight, hook up an oxygen feed to it and make the room oxygen enriched environment. You should be G2G

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    If you want all that just take one room that has everything in it you want/need and make it air tight, hook up an oxygen feed to it and make the room oxygen enriched environment. You should be G2G
    Except for the bomb that the oxygen would create. A simple mistake like grease on a weight machine in an oxygen rich room could cause an explosion. Pure oxygen is dangerous and also could poison the body too if given in large enough doses to a healthy person.

The added benefit of the pressure at twice the normal atmospheric pressure along with a slightly richer oxygen content is when the magic happens. At least in theory in regards to weigh lifting recovery.

The military uses it for TBI's, while plastic surgeons recommend it to their celebrity patients for a faster recovery. There's lots of theories why it works, just not a lot of people who actually use them for what I am thinking.

If I had one or access to one I would use it. It's got to be better than all these people you see sitting around looking silly at the oxygen bars.. LOL Hmmm maybe a business idea, Oxygen bar, water massage table, quick tan booth and the hyperbaric oxygen chamber....

turncoat is offline New Member
    Id give it ago for sure. If its not allowed to be used before Olympic games there must be some grounds for it.

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I checked into for my grandson . He has apraxia and PPD . The 1 year of visits is 6k . Insurance does not pay for experimental procedures .
    They said they have several clients they are treating . I really don't have this kind of money , but if I did I would try regardless of the lack of proven statistics .
    They claim that forcing oxygen into all cells available that brain would benefit from any areas that had been restricted . Increasing function or improved circulation . This would work for any organ I imagine .
    This is what I took from talking to clinic .
    Give them a call . Someone will call you back to discuss circumstances .
    2four89325666
    Dam four key broke .

Good luck
    Dont wanna be old

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If I had one or access to one I would use it. It's got to be better than all these people you see sitting around looking silly at the oxygen bars.. LOL Hmmm maybe a business idea, Oxygen bar, water massage table, quick tan booth and the hyperbaric oxygen chamber....
    Only if they have strawberry colonic's

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    It would have to be more than airtight, mate! it would have to be air tight under pressure. the engineering would be a bit more complex

fleck is offline Associate Member
    Its a winner mate...hahaha send me a text well go global,...

sixoner is offline Member
    the most cost effective way would be to pres the chamber down with air and breathe 100% o2 via b.i.b.s. that way way you could take your air breaks using a cheaper media than the more expensive gas(o2). another thing to consider is it would be far safer to be under pressure in a low concentration of o2(air)...100% o2 under pressure is an EXTREMELY hazardous environment to do anything in much less lift(for various reasons regarding barotrauma) or have any electronic or intrinsic devices present due to explosion/fire hazards ...

you cannot breathe 100% o2 continuously under pressure it will become toxic..ideally you want to take an air break for 5minutes for every 20-25minutes on o2 to prevent o2 toxicity so regardless you would have to switch media via b.i.b.s frequently. lifting or forcing more gas into your tissues by over breathing in a pressurized environment will initiate or intensify the toxicity or both....so unless you like doing the funky chicken or blacking out its best to just be relaxed whilst under pressure breathing 100% o2

for treatment purposes you are are relatively shallow pressure is equivalent to being approx -10' of water or about 4.5 psi but all things considered this is where your greatest pressure differential occurs..beyond -33' or around 30psi nitrogen in the air will start to pres into solution thus your benefits would cease unless your using the o2 for decompression purposes like we do at work...

yet another thing to consider is supposedly around 30% of people have a pfo defect in their heart from birth basically a hole between the upper chambers of the heart that never closes from birth
    depending on the size of the hole and the pressure exerted you can shunt un-oxygenated blood from right to left in your heart through the defect by passing your lungs...which could cause a stroke or a few other problems...so working out under pressure unless you're 100% positively sure you do not have an atrial defect or pfo in your heart from birth would be well.......kinda crazy

electronics like laptops, phones, ipod etc do work under pressure though sometimes they break though we bring them into the chambers at work all the time..i prefer a book or magazine though personally..but again we pres down in air approx 20% o2 and breathe 100% o2 via a bibs which exhausts the o2 outside of the chamber and vent or recirculate the air frequently so we do not create a hazardous oxygen enriched environment

hyperbarics 101 over....LOL

breathing 100% o2 under pressure does has many benefits and does repair the body quicker.....is it worth it IMO if im not burned the **** up, broke the **** up, or decompressing after my dive **** a chamber.....but i am a bit biased as i have hundred thousand hours+++ in a chamber..LOL
    Last edited by sixoner; 10-02-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: to answer original post

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman;53***30
    It would have to be more than airtight, mate! it would have to be air tight under pressure. the engineering would be a bit more complex
    Only if you are trying to make it a pressurized system. I was only suggesting to make it an oxygen enriched environment, not the pressure part. To much work for that.

Sex-Machine is offline New Member
    scaring of the lungs no thanks. peroxide treatments seem better way to go. tho i don't believe in this O2 crap. better off taking blood out of ur body for your kidneys to produce cleaner blood for ur body.

Thread Information