Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alcoholocaust

Thread: Sleepy times shoulder injury?

alcoholocaust is offline New Member

Sleepy times shoulder injury?

I have a peculiar sleeping habit - I fall asleep with my head on a pillow, on top of my outstretched arm. Imagine sleeping belly and face down, then turning about 85 degrees to the side and then sticking out your arm to prop up your head along with a pillow.

Incidentally after years of doing this it seems to be doing damage to my previously traumatized shoulder. Something about stretching it for the whole night, day after day is causing me to experience pain while doing military press / OHP / anything involving front delts as well.

It's probably an odd question but how do I stop sleeping on my joint?
    Last edited by alcoholocaust; 01-23-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    Obs likes this.

alcoholocaust is offline New Member
    I just rotated my arm outstretched all the way around the shoulder socket and found that as it comes around counter-clockwise and reaches about horizontal level, it feels like something pops out and causes dull yet intense 5/10 pain for a couple of seconds followed by some weakness.

It doesn't feel like something's actually dislocated, it just feels like ****ed up cartilage or something. It's very strange.

FRDave is offline Senior Member
    I sleep the same way and my right shoulder always hurts. I can't seem to fall asleep in any other position.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You cant expect it to happen over night, so to speak. Keep trying to sleep on your back with your arms down and eventually it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    You cant expect it to happen over night, so to speak. Keep trying to sleep on your back with your arms down and eventually it will happen.

When I fall asleep on my back I wake with sleep paralysis (scary shit), so that's a no no for me lol.

Last night I slept on side but kept my arm down. This morning my girl said I had my arm under my head last night. Going to be a hard habit to break when I do it in my sleep :-/

Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    When I fall asleep on my back I wake with sleep paralysis (scary shit), so that's a no no for me lol.

Last night I slept on side but kept my arm down. This morning my girl said I had my arm under my head last night. Going to be a hard habit to break when I do it in my sleep :-/
    Why is that?

Why is that?
    Not a clue. When researching sleep paralysis, it states " sleeping on the back may cause more frequent episodes".

Also found this: "Sleeping in the supine position is believed to make the sleeper more vulnerable to episodes of sleep paralysis because in this sleeping position it is possible for the soft palate to collapse and obstruct the airway.[16] This is a possibility regardless of whether the individual has been diagnosed with sleep apnea or not. There may also be a greater rate of microarousals while sleeping in the supine position because there is a greater amount of pressure being exerted on the lungs by gravity".

Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    Not a clue. When researching sleep paralysis, it states " sleeping on the back may cause more frequent episodes".

Also found this: "Sleeping in the supine position is believed to make the sleeper more vulnerable to episodes of sleep paralysis because in this sleeping position it is possible for the soft palate to collapse and obstruct the airway.[16] This is a possibility regardless of whether the individual has been diagnosed with sleep apnea or not. There may also be a greater rate of microarousals while sleeping in the supine position because there is a greater amount of pressure being exerted on the lungs by gravity".
    They also say it can be due to waking from Rem sleep, not really a bad thing, or narcolepsy, not a good thing.

I remember as a kid waking up and being paralyzed several times for several minutes. It was scary but I out grew it. Funny thing was it was only after I felt/remember having an out of body experience. That's the only way I can describe it. I wish I could still do that.

They also say it can be due to waking from Rem sleep, not really a bad thing, or narcolepsy, not a good thing. I remember as a kid waking up and being paralyzed several times for several minutes. It was scary but I out grew it. Funny thing was it was only after I felt/remember having an out of body experience. That's the only way I can describe it. I wish I could still do that.

I have only had an out of body experience twice, both while being in an episode of sleep paralysis.

Sleep paralysis is also the cause of many 'alien abductions' as you usually feel like someone is after you or looking over you. Many times feeling a burning sensation in the body and seeing bright lights.

I get the chills just thinking about it. As often as I got them (haven't in the past year), I could never get use to the feeling and would scare the shit out of me every time.

One time I remember someone sitting on my chest choking me out. So in my head I'm telling myself this is not real and trying to snap out of it while not being able to breathe. Finally woke and was gasping for air. Not cool :-/

Best Pills is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alcoholocaust View Post
    I have a peculiar sleeping habit - I fall asleep with my head on a pillow, on top of my outstretched arm. Imagine sleeping belly and face down, then turning about 85 degrees to the side and then sticking out your arm to prop up your head along with a pillow.

Incidentally after years of doing this it seems to be doing damage to my previously traumatized shoulder. Something about stretching it for the whole night, day after day is causing me to experience pain while doing military press / OHP / anything involving front delts as well.

Well, an instant change is impossible, so to speak. I used to sleep the same way and could often experience shoulder problems. I discovered it was almost impossible to adopt a new sleeping style and was advised to acquire a special pillow from https://hovement.com/best-pillows-shoulder-pain/. My issues are now a forgotten ordeal. I would higly advice you to consider those pillows as well,as you keep trying to sleep on your back with your arms down,though tah may prove to take ages.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alcoholocaust View Post

I sleep the same way one arm under me, the other under pillow with my head on it

*I wake up sometimes almost feeling like McCain

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I have severe issues with my back. I sleep on my side and my shoulders are huge. I have a 53" chest and a 30" waist along with a fairly large ass. When I sleep all the torque is applied to my damaged spine and it even does it when I lay on my back. Laying on my stomach is out of the question as it immediately hurts.

I imagine this is a common thing in the bodybuilding world. What I need is a better bed.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Since I stopped drinking everyday, and quit smoking I have trouble sleeping. I usually end up on my stomach on top of a arm. This probably has a lot to do with my herniated disk in by back. Not to mention my shoulder pain.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I checked out the reviews on that pillow, says it doesn't work good for people with big arms

Thread Information