pitweiler is offline Member

Spinal fusion and broken scapulas

Back in may I was in a life threatening motorcycle accident. Lost control of my motorcycle and wrapped my back around a tree. I broke my back in two places. I forget the medical locations but one was up between my scapulas and one was on my lower back. On my lower spine is where I had the spinal fusion. I also broke both scapulas. 7 ribs, dislocated my hip and chipped the ball of the hip bone. I've been through a lot. Spent close to a month in a well known hospital in Boston and then spent 2.5 weeks in rehab to learn to walk again. Before the accident I was 196 and about 14% BF. now I'm 165 on my 6 foot frame. It's pretty depressing knowing that I lost years of gains that I made. But I know that I can gain them back. Before the accident I was in the labor union, doing a lot of physical activity all day. Recently I've been working at a clothing store putting out stock on the floor and running the cash register. Before I started working I was feeling really good. Going to the gym just about every day. My lifts were going up and I was feeling good about my recovery. Now since I'm back to work my shoulder blades have been killing me and I'm back in pain e majority of the day. Sometimes so bad I feel like asking to leave but I just suck it up.

I was just curious if anyone has ever broke their scapula and now long does it take to heal so it doesn't bother you or as bad? Physical therapy says that I'm in pain because I don't have much muscle in my back like I used to. I've been contemplating about doing a cycle of just test 5-600 a week but I know that's a no no when your injured. Especially as bad as I am. I was just thinking that it would speed up the muscle growth in my back faster to give me more of a relief so I'm not in as much pain. Should I just do a lot of back exercises to help build up my back muscles faster?

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Dam man I feel for ya.
    I hurt my neck in past (not as serious as you) and I thought more than once about running a cycle but knew it wasn't the right thing so I never did. Do not over do it at the gym either and risk injury, but stay at it and you will comeback. Did you look into tb500?
    Good luck anyways

It's hard to take it easy in the gym but I deffinetly know my limits. Always trying to get a couple more reps than last time or add a little more weight. I deffinetly don't want to hurt myself more. What exactly is tb500? If seen people on here talk about taking it to recover from an injury. Maybe I'll have to research it a little more

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I broke 4 ribs in a swim accident. It took 4 weeks till I could have sex again. 2 more weeks till i could sleep half-way decent. 2 more weeks and I was getting off the opiates. 2 more weeks and at 90%. So just for ribs 10 weeks and you are "good to go". Any spinal advice get from your doctor. Fusion is not "good as new".

I was on cycle when I broke the ribs and I continued on. Maybe why it took 10 weeks instead of 6 to heal like the doctor suggested they would.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Getting a couple more reps is exactly what could do more damage than good. No, you dont want to push it by using gear. A lot of people who are healthy get injured while on cycle because they lifted just a little to much to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Getting a couple more reps is exactly what could do more damage than good. No, you dont want to push it by using gear. A lot of people who are healthy get injured while on cycle because they lifted just a little to much to soon.
    I understand pushing it to get a couple more reps can do more damage than good. What I ment by it was that I was feeling good before and my reps or weight were gradually going up. I know that using gear while hurt is a no no. It just crossed my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier
    I broke 4 ribs in a swim accident. It took 4 weeks till I could have sex again. 2 more weeks till i could sleep half-way decent. 2 more weeks and I was getting off the opiates. 2 more weeks and at 90%. So just for ribs 10 weeks and you are "good to go". Any spinal advice get from your doctor. Fusion is not "good as new".

I was on cycle when I broke the ribs and I continued on. Maybe why it took 10 weeks instead of 6 to heal like the doctor suggested they would.
    Oh I know that my back isn't going to be good as new. I know that it's going to be far from it and I know it's going to give me problems for the rest of my life.

What I really was hoping on with this thread was for someone to chime in that they have had broken scapulas before and what they did to heal them. I dunno it's just kinda depressing to loose all of my gains so fast. I know over time it will gradually start to feel better. Tb500 was mentioned. When I was researching it. It seems like it works best for tears in tendons, ligaments or muscles. But then again I don't know much about it still. I think I'm just going to stick with working out my back a little everyday to build the muscles back up. Especially in the shoulder blade area. The physical therapist said that my shoulder blades are giving me pain because my back doesn't have much muscle in my back anymore to protect my spine. With the lack of muscle. My muscles tighten up to help to help shield my spine from getting hurt. Do you think doing push-ups and assisted pull-ups around my house in spare time and doing various cable rows and lat pull downs will help build up muscle in the area faster? Or should I just stick to working out my back once a week? I know it's probably common sense but I'm just looking for some feed back on what you guys would do in my situation.

Thread Information