Thread: Finger Numbness

KA24 is offline Junior Member

Finger Numbness

I've had off and on finger numbness, mostly in the thumb, index an middle finger on both hands. Usually only comes on after sleeping on my stomach or side. Currently seeing a chiro off and on doing ART and getting deep tissue massage once a month. Also using lacrosse ball on shoulder blades and between pecs and front delts. Anyway, this aside, what is causing this? I've hear it's very common in long time lifters but I've never done an excessive amount of pressing and have been training 10+ years. Only the past 3 months this flares up to where my sleep is really affected.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sounds like some nerve impingement in your wrist. Could be the beginning of some carpal tunnel issues. Try stretching your hands and wrists but not to extremes. Pay attention to how you flex your wrist when you are in bed. Try not to have it bent up against your face or in some other extreme position. If you do this at night wrap your wrists loosely with an ace bandage to prevent the flexing. Use wrist wraps for your pressing movements for awhile to give the joints a break.

With all this said it could also be in the elbow. I have fingers go numb when on the phone for just a minute or so. If this is your case the same applies to your nighttime positioning of your arm. Try sleeping with your arms extended as much as possible. Good luck.
    Last edited by 600@50; 04-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks. I did relate it at first to carpel tunnel, but I also have a desk job that requires typing off and on all day. It never gives me issues there, only at night. Wouldn't it be common to also get some symptoms during the day too?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Does it go more numb if you sleep with your arm above your head? There is a nerve that runs under your armpit and sleeping like that or on your side cause restricted blood flow and pressure on the nerves.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Mine only goes numb with inactivity such as at night or when riding my motorcycle. I constantly have to change hand position to keep it from going numb. It really is just the angle of my wrist when holding the throttle on the bike that causes the numbness. Just by repositioning slightly the feeling comes right back. The regular stretching of my hands had helped a bunch.

Thanks for the input. Yes, arms above the head of on my side causes the symptoms. I'm going to continue the ART route and self-PT stuff to see if it improves.

Thread Information