Mitch535 is offline Junior Member

New member with shoulder question

Prior to getting back in the gym, I started waking up in the middle of the night with pain in my shoulder. My arm would often fall asleep to the point that I couldn't feel it at all. After a week of this, I started getting generalized weakness in my left arm, with random bouts of pins and needles numbness beginning a third of the way down my radius and into my thumb. I did go see the doctor, and his suggestion was to rest and give it time. If that did not fix the issue, he wants me to come back and he'll refer me to a neurologist for a pin test to locate a pinched nerve.

I've started my workout regimen since this began. My shoulder does NOT hurt at night any longer, and the pins and needles numbness is very infrequent (though still happening). What is still persisting, however, is the generalized weakness. It isn't quite as noticeable when I'm doing shoulder exercises. Overhead dumbbell press or lateral raises feel fine. However, when I curl or do exercises requiring flexion of the left arm, I notice significant weakness. Some days are better than others.

I am conflicted on how to handle the issue. Exercise seems to have made many of the symptoms better. The weakness doesn't seem to be getting better. Since this occurred prior to working out, I'm not sure that rest is the answer either. And I honestly really, really don't want to have to see a neurologist if this is something I can fix with some therapy time in the gym, or with proper stretching. Any suggestions?

haggendaz is offline New Member
    Hey buddy, sorry to hear about you pain. Google Rib Subluxation. Sounds like you might have a rib out and could be pinching a nerve possibly. Find a really good Chiropractor OR Physical Therapist that are familure with this condition. It could be cleared up in one treatment. Doctor's are usually not as familiar with this ans could be misdiagnosed. Just my 2 cents. Hope you get feeling better.

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I know a chiropractor that is also a former IFBB

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Also might want to look at your spine, a cervical herniated disc might give you that kind of symptoms.

Thread Information