Kaytime is offline Associate Member

Chest tear or strain, Help with diagnosis

Hey guys, I just need your opinion on my chest and so ill give you an idea of what I went through on the day

Got to the gym and did some small stretches and warm ups on bench press firstly 2 warm ups with pauses down bottom each rep for 15 reps then a warm up set of 80kg

Anyhow I got to my last set which was 170kg and once I got the weight up and started to go down I felt a pull so I got spotter to help me put weight back, in my head instead of pushing through pain I stopped and iced it straight away..

The following was present the next day
    Range of motion was bad
    Swelling in upper pec and armpit area
    Pain was ok if left rested but moving arm around did aggravate it.

I decided to do the following for the next couple of days
    1: ice plus heat every hour or 2
    2: massage the affected area and lightly stretch
    3: hot bath/ cold shower
    4: ibuprofen

4 days have gone past and the swelling has come down a lot and range of motion has gotten much much better but now I noticed some bruising on chest and a little bit on bicep, I been using a stretch band to test myself out and I don't feel much of it with the resistant band but if I do something that involves my arm over my head then it goes a little tight..

I know I should have been going to the doctors but I'm not even in my own country at the moment and I know that even if pain and swelling is subsiding it's no reason not to go but your input would be greatly appreciated and help me mentally, I have a comp in November and I'm worried i won't be competing or my luck lifting weights is finished

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	711 
Size:	975.7 KB 
ID:	161616

Bump??

dep30 is offline Associate Member
    It looks like a slight tear imo. I have saw bad torn pec before and its really bad looking... Yours dosent seem to have a complete tear with the muscle bunched up. With that being said I do recommend you seeing a Dr. For a professional opinion.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Agree with above, see a doctor - good luck with everything.

Thanks guys for your input, I think you guys are right as today I thought I'd train back with no problem plus the sauna while stretching did wonders. A friend of mine told me to massage the area to stop any kind of scar tissue from developing?? Is this true

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i agree - looks like a slight tear. i learned a trick from a trainer to accelerate healing to sets at a very light weight for 20 reps - NO BAD PAIN (you should know the difference if you're experienced). this stimulates blood flow in the region and accelerates healing. follow this with LIGHT stretching. you don't want to go to the point of retearing - let the sucker heal. stim can help too. ice as much as possible and nsaids for swelling. you can do this every two to three days. when you start loading it up go slow and let the muscle build back slowly. your risk of re-injury is highest at this point.

oh... and seeing a doc is a great idea.

Thread Information