bartman314 is offline Productive Member

ongoing issues with total hip replacement - any others out there?

i've had both hips replaced in the last year and a half. honestly, i came back a bit too quickly after the first one, but followed strict PT regimen on the second. i'm having ongoing pain doing certain movements, and have stumped the surgeon and two pt's. i'm trying to see if other weightlifters with THR's experience similar issues or if i'm (unfortunately) unique.

please reply if you're a lifter with one or both THR!

i'll follow up with more detail and see if i'm missing something in my program...

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A friend of mine had a hip replacement at age 34 due to a car accident. He said the only thing that kept the pain away was 30 minutes a day on the stationary bike. Not sure if this would help you too but he was adamant about it. Hopefully it's something easy to fix. Best of luck man.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Left 7yrs. ago, Right 4yrs. ago. What are you experiencing and what is confusing everyone, curious?

ok... here it goes.

i had the left replaced 1/15 via a minimal invasive technique. i only took a few days off from working out (upper body), but my mistake was carrying dumb bells around the gym (think farmer's walk) and had to go back on crutches for a couple of weeks ~6 weeks post op. since that time there's been constant pain in my hip flexor especially when cold (not warmed up) and when pushing back from lunges and at the top of squats/deadlifts. the pain is especially acute 'deloading' the joint after any lift using my hip flexors or glutes.

i had my right replaced 12/15 via same technique (and surgeon). i took more days off and haven't experienced the same issues on my right side.

it turns out i had my first ever visit with a chiropractor yesterday. in contrast to the old stereotype, his 'treatment' for my hip issue was deep tissue massage while stretching the muscle. frankly, i think this will address my issues, i already feel a lot better today. he commented that my glutes were incredibly tight and that my hip flexors had to work especially hard to pull against the glutes (to straighten my hips). the chiropractors assessment was that i had traumatized/scarred the soft tissue by hitting the gym too quickly and that i need to break down the scar tissue and loosen the muscles to get everything back in balance.

proximal and others, i'd be interested in hearing what you feel in your hip flexors/glutes when you squat, deadlift or lunge. it might help me triangulate.

i'll post updates as makes sense...

Seriously, your surgeon & 2 PTs are confused & baffled that you started back too soon, you have glute tightness & hip flexor issues, seriously? Are you sure you're not seeing the Marx brothers or the 3 stooges by mistake?

I started as a PT over 35 years ago, predominantly ortho & sports med patients - this does not make sense. Shaking my head right now, going for a workout before I rant something regrettable.

lol. so the surgeon said the hardware looks good. and the pt's focused on the hip flexor and missed the glute. i agree it seems obvious if you know the glutes and flexors are antagonists, but what do i know... i'm just the patient!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal
    Seriously, your surgeon & 2 PTs are confused & baffled that you started back too soon, you have glute tightness & hip flexor issues, seriously? Are you sure you're not seeing the Marx brothers or the 3 stooges by mistake? I started as a PT over 35 years ago, predominantly ortho & sports med patients - this does not make sense. Shaking my head right now, going for a workout before I rant something regrettable.
    I have tight hip flexors and tight glutes.

My left hip is always popping, especially when I external rotate my right to the outward.

Sorry to hijack your thread Bartman, hope you get those issues sorted out

Bartman if your chiro is getting you better, then great. Me personally, I'd be concerned you're running the risk of compromising your replacements early. Replacing a replacement is not a great thing.

Curious, does your surgeon know about your workouts and does he approve of them/comment on them?

Ragin, tight hip flexors & glutes are very common - everyone here on the forum should really be stretching regularly. The popping is likely your IT band over a boney prominence, that too is common. Good rule of thumb- if the noise is not associated with pain, then don't worry. Your glutes have a large attachment upon the IT band, definitely contributing to the tightness. Rollers are great in helping loosening these up.

Thread Information