Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By songdog

Thread: Exercise ideas for injury

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."

Exercise ideas for injury

Well the injuries from my two deployments are finally catching up to me. Last set of x-rays showed arthritis in my lower back, bone spurs. and ultrasound shows vascular damage. The doctor is advising me to work out only from a seated position now. I know there is leg and back machines available, but can any of these really replace the dead-lift and squat?
    I can probably figure it out on my own but this community has always been great to me and I would rather get the advice here first.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    No but it will help you from hurting yourself more.Look at it like this you are not making a living on stage so be smart and work around your injuries.They only get worse with age bro.
    Tigershark likes this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree with Songdog but, perhaps it would be bad to go from squatting and deadlifting high weight to zero squatting and dlifting. Maybe it would be a good idea to dial it back and work on staying functional? My insurance allows six visits to a pt before I need a referral. If you have same option perhaps it would be a good idea to see a good PT and discuss with him(her). If so, don't bring up doctors advice, if asked, you could respond, "I want to know what your unbiased advice is so I'm not going to lead you with that info." Provide all of the medical info but not the final word from the doc.

Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    No but it will help you from hurting yourself more.Look at it like this you are not making a living on stage so be smart and work around your injuries.They only get worse with age bro.
    Thanks Songdog, I appreciate the answer. It is so true what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    I agree with Songdog but, perhaps it would be bad to go from squatting and deadlifting high weight to zero squatting and dlifting. Maybe it would be a good idea to dial it back and work on staying functional? My insurance allows six visits to a pt before I need a referral. If you have same option perhaps it would be a good idea to see a good PT and discuss with him(her). If so, don't bring up doctors advice, if asked, you could respond, "I want to know what your unbiased advice is so I'm not going to lead you with that info." Provide all of the medical info but not the final word from the doc.
    Luckily with the back injury being service connected the VA provides me with chiropractor and pt. I lost faith in the pt because I didn't feel like it was working, and I was a bad participant and didn't do the work at home. I should probably give it another go though.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    I mean they can't replace the actual movement of the squat etc. but the machines will work the same muscles involved. Only isolated though and not all at once in a compound movemt..sure it better to have real life applicable movements in workouts but if your injured ..machines are better then nothing .

Seated leg press, extension, curls, abduction, Aduction....works all the muscles involved in squating . Just lacks the movement that's real life applicable

Thread Information